Houston, the Eagle has landed! JBL Everest Speaker

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
In honor of our showroom grand opening, we have the privilege of having a loaner pair of JBL Project Everest DD66000 from Harman. I say the privilege because I don't know how to phrase taking delivery of these 320 pound monsters, with a total retail price of $65,000! The sample we have is a one-of-a-kind Cherry finish that did not go into production:

If you are not familiar with these speakers, they are a four-way design. One bass driver goes from 150 Hz down, the other up to 700 Hz. After that, the main 4" Beryllium compression driver takes over and carries the load up to 20 Khz so nothing in the critical hearing range is interrupted by a cross-over point. A 1-inch Beryllium compression driver finishes the rally, going from 20 KHz to 50+ KHz! Don't ask why such extension is needed; I am but a messenger here :). Sensitivity is rated at 96db. Low frequency extension is down to 35 Hz (-10db).

As noted, this is one heavy beast. Its grill alone weighs 10 pounds! That said, it is rather chunky but surprisingly low profile given its short height and blends better and looks more beautiful than one imagines from the pictures. The retro look is really neat. The form follows function as the horns nicely land at your ear level.

I had about an hour of listening with them. Oh boy. If there was ever two versions of "audio truth" comparing this to Revel Salon 2s, is it. They both sound superlative but in such different ways. I don't know that I can yet fully describe the difference but one thing the JBL does exceptionally well is bringing out detail even at lower volumes. While the Revel has lower distortion, you couldn't tell it from listening to the Everest. Its detail is startling. As its dynamic power. You constantly hear things that make you go "ooh!" The entire staff was mesmerized as we played clip after clip.

We have a new reference drum track from a Chinese CD. It is a solo instrument with more dynamics than I have ever heard in any track of music. It is not only high range but also has wide bandwidth from sharp cymbals to low, low pounding. We blasted this track with the Everest, driven by the Mark Levinson Reference 532 amplifier (source was the PC driving through Berkeley DAC). A soon as the track started to play, it started to snow in our showroom! Snow in Spring in Seattle? Yes, if your ceiling is made out of tiles and the vibrations pound out the dust. :D

Right in the middle of the demo our mailman (mail person?) walked and you should have seen her jump and nearly turn around and leave the store! You could feel the bass and impact in your chest. I am not talking home theater loud here. I am talking dynamic, dynamic, dynamic. I am talking clean spikes without compression. All this, in an open showroom with zero treatment of any sort.

I believe in the entire US there is maybe a single dealer who is showing the Everest on the floor. So even if you are not interested in buying one, I heavily encourage you to come and take a listen. It is rare, educational event as it was for me, to hear this other reproduction method and marvel in what it can do.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I am in lust, my first big pair of speakers were JBL's,these could be my last.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
While I understand they're in a whole other league, it takes me back to my first hifi and its Altec-Lansing Valencias! OK...now I'm getting all misty and nostalgic...

The seem to be toed-in sharply. Is the dispersion a bit narrow?

Tim

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I am about to hear the JBL 1400 Array, the small sister of the Everest.... I will report my findings as well.

Some questions Amir:

a) What about long term listening with the JBLs?
b) Besides dynamic range, what about soundstaging and tonality?
c) I have heard/read that the new JBL line is more for HT than 2CH, do you concur?

Congratulations for being the first to have them for demo!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The seem to be toed-in sharply. Is the dispersion a bit narrow?

Tim
That's just the way they were unpacked by the guys when I arrived. I thought they were too far toed in too until I heard it and it sounded so good, I didn't bother asking them to reposition them. Will try that later. The manual says as long as they are withing 100 degrees horizontally, all is well.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
That's just the way they were unpacked by the guys when I arrived. I thought they were too far toed in too until I heard it and it sounded so good, I didn't bother asking them to reposition them. Will try that later. The manual says as long as they are withing 100 degrees horizontally, all is well.

Well, I can't say I've heard a pair of horns I really like much, since I moved on from my days of Valencias and Lascalas, but I'd like to hear those. They are beautiful. And they come from a company that's approach inspires confidence. Maybe someday I'll have the opportunity to audition some smaller version.

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
a) What about long term listening with the JBLs?
I only have experience with JBL Synthesis (which has lower distortion that normal Pro line) in our theater long term and in that application, you could lock me in a room forever and I wont complain :).

b) Besides dynamic range, what about soundstaging and tonality?
The tonality is different subjectively. Their target is to reproduce the "live sound" which as you know, is predominantly done with JBL speakers in many venues. This was the marketing line of course but to my ear, it is half way between the typical pro speaker sound and audiophile speakers. Something about it is both different and but also very good. I don't have any comparative data to share on soundstage.

c) I have heard/read that the new JBL line is more for HT than 2CH, do you concur?
Not these guys. They are sold almost entirely as 2-channel music speakers. The reason for home theater affinity for the general JBL line is that only a handful of speaker can reach the heights they can reach. In our main theater, we have a JBL system with something like 10,000 watts and a Wisdom system with 20K watts of power (or something close to these). Despite the sharp difference in power, the dynamics of JBL blows away the Wisdom. We have a scene in the movie Despicable Me where a balloon is popped. On the JBL, it makes you jump out of your seat even at low volumes. On the Wisdom, the effect is completely absent. You can even turn up the volume and it still is not there. The wisdom by the way can bring the building down with its subs and such, but in this special test, it just can't do what the JBL can.

The other advantage of JBL is their reliability. That is a very high priority goal for the line. So in theater situations where you abuse them a lot, they are a great fit that way.

I have not yet spent much time listening to the JBLs with music. Will do that at some point and report back (until recently, our music server was only driving the Wisdoms).

Congratulations for being the first to have them for demo!
Thanks. :)

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
One of our newer members, Filecat13 aka Doug, owns the Everest baby brother K2's, a full-on Synthesis theater, and a couple of other JBL systems. The Synthesis theater was mind-blowing, but I didn't really get to spend any quality time with the K2's.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I see I was in Seattle in the wrong moment, I should have waited a few years ...

The D66000 is one of the speakers that has been attracting my curiosity since its presentation. It seems a melt of the experience building high quality professional speakers with the unashamed refinements typical of high-end audio. All with an horn flavor!

Amir, I know you are promoting Harman products, but I would be very happy to learn about your opinion about the Everest using a good 100W tube amplifier. :cool:

BTW, I think you were too shy claiming that the Eagle had landed - the Saturn V is launching would also be adequate!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hehe :).

The everest manual says 100 watts is the recommended power low power level (minimum is 70). So on that basis, it is OK. I seem to recall impedance dipping to as low as 3.5 ohms. Here is the full text:

"No single type of amplifier is specified for use with the Project Everest
DD66000 system. The speakers are highly efficient and will operate adequately
with an amplifier or receiver of 70–100 watts.

However, the transient response and audio definition of a high-end system such
as Project Everest DD66000 will pick up all the inefficiencies and distortion in an
amplifier system. For full-range operation, the Project Everest DD66000 system
should not be used with an amplifier/receiver of less than 100 watts. High-quality
amplifiers/receivers of 100–500 watts will ensure optimal system performance.

There is no effective limit to the power handling capabilities of the Project
Everest DD66000 loudspeakers when driven by consumer audio amplifiers.
No damage will occur when used with high-powered components. Source
impedance is an important criterion in selecting an appropriate unit; the
selected amplifier(s) should have a very high current capacity and must be
capable of driving a low-impedance load."

And:

"Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms
5.5 Ohms @ 85Hz
3.5 Ohms @ 40kHz"

So good news is that the impedance doesn't dip too low at lower frequencies.

If you have a specific amp in mind, I can run it by Harman people and get a more informed answer. For now though, 100 watts seems to be in the right range for this.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Interesting. 100 W, 96 dB efficient, means 116 dB at 1 m, about 110 dB at 2 m , 104 dB at 3 m. A 400 W amp adds 6 dB, yielding about 110 dB at 3 m. Seems like it oughta' be loud enough...

I have heard many horn designs that sounded, well, "honky", and a few that were outstanding. Looking forward to hearing these some day. The design of the flare seems to have come a long way the past few years.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have heard many horn designs that sounded, well, "honky", and a few that were outstanding. Looking forward to hearing these some day. The design of the flare seems to have come a long way the past few years.

That is exactly the reason why I sold my Avantgardes, as well as the fact that the bass driver was never on time with the upper horns.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Why is the monitor so puny?:p

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Why is the monitor so puny?:p
The monitor is 100 inches across. It is the speakers that are that much larger! Just kidding :D.

FYI, I played with toe in today. At about 10 degrees, it images far better than the one you see in the picture. At zero, there was a sharp drop off and I didn't like it nearly as much. So clearly you want to get close to the direct sound as opposed to all off-axis.

Played another experiment with my son. We both put our ears in front of the super driver (>20Khz) and covered and uncovered the horn opening. We both thought we could hear something coming out of it. I know I can't hear anything at that frequency. So if there is an effect there, it will be surprising. Will try this blind some day to see if it is still so.

BTW, Steve is right about them being too close. With the slight toe in, the image is between the speakers but with them being just 4 foot or so apart, it is not a lot of space for it to hang there. Good news is that so little comes out of these horns past certain degree that we should be able to push the left one closer to the wall and open up the distance.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Amir,

I can appreciate how large the speakers are. I think that in my 19' 4" W room I have about 60.5" distance separating my OMA New Yorker speakers (they are approximately 42" wide but the 2 15" woofers are vertically arranged rather than horizontally as in the Everest); they are each about 48" from the side walls. The speakers are angled so that they face the center seat in the room and are close to 10' from my ears in the center seat. My room unfortunately is only 14' 7" L.

Rich

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
How do these compare with the Classic Audio Reproductions speakers, e.g. the Studio Standard or Hartsfield?

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Congrats, Amir!

My spouse and I heard these in the big Kimble room, using IsoMike recordings, at RMAF 2009...IMPRESSIVE! :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing