FM + JBL Everest 6700 + Wilson Audio Thor's Hammer

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
This is my first time hearing a FM system driving JBL Everest 6700 and a pair of Wilson Audio Thor's Hammer.

The owner is Mr. Lai, who is famous in Hong Kong with a nickname of "Mr. JB Lai".
:D

IMG_20221129_235307.jpg

FM : 268c + two 411 + 223 + crossover.

IMG_20221129_220407.jpg
IMG_20221129_220444.jpg
IMG_20221129_221444.jpg

A million thanks to Mr. Lai for his great hospitality!

Reactions: ddk and MRJAZZ

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Any videos of this system possible?

Reactions: Scott Naylor

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Quite an unusual system...intuitively, I am very intrigued by what you heard and can imagine it was quite special: organic, articulate and very very powerful perhaps.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Quite an unusual system...intuitively, I am very intrigued by what you heard and can imagine it was quite special: organic, articulate and very very powerful perhaps.
Your description is spot on! :D

Never underestimate any FM poweramps.
The two smallish 411 in horizontal bi-amp config grasped the 6700 like iron fists.

Each of the Thor's Hammer were driven by a bridged stereo Crown poweramp outputting 5000W.

The resulting music was organic & powerful to the extreme!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Your description is spot on! :D

Never underestimate any FM poweramps.
The two smallish 411 in horizontal bi-amp config grasped the 6700 like iron fists.

Each of the Thor's Hammer were driven by a bridged stereo Crown poweramp outputting 5000W.

The resulting music was organic & powerful to the extreme!
Thanks and good to know! A lot to like then! Yes, the FMs with the right load I can very much imagine are great. I have heard the 108 monos in our own system. They did a lot of great things, and I can fully imagine the 411 is another league.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Any videos of this system possible?
Hi Bonzo,

I'm able to locate a youtube made by a famous Hong Kong hifi blogger 2 yrs ago.
Narration is in Cantonese but caption is available and it can be translated to English.

Enjoy!

Reactions: tima and bonzo75

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
BTW, CKKeung, have you ever heard the Waversa stuff? I just got the LAN Ext Reference Plus (and placed it in between the Zanden Transport and the Zanden DAC)...wow. A new digital with all of the magic of Zanden but it feels fully modernized in its remarkable ability to extract nuances, details, timing touches...

Given that they are based in Korea, and that you have quite a lot of experience I thought I would ask...

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
BTW, CKKeung, have you ever heard the Waversa stuff? I just got the LAN Ext Reference Plus (and placed it in between the Zanden Transport and the Zanden DAC)...wow. A new digital with all of the magic of Zanden but it feels fully modernized in its remarkable ability to extract nuances, details, timing touches...

Given that they are based in Korea, and that you have quite a lot of experience I thought I would ask...
Sorry, I haven't auditioned Waversa.
There is an official HK dealer but they put little effort on Waversa.
The brand is more popular in Taiwan than in HK.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sorry, I haven't auditioned Waversa.
There is an official HK dealer but they put little effort on Waversa.
The brand is more popular in Taiwan than in HK.
Thanks and good to know. Their LAN Ref Plus does some pretty special things with digital signals coming from Transport to DAC.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thanks and good to know. Their LAN Ref Plus does some pretty special things with digital signals coming from Transport to DAC.
My primary digital setup is MSB Select Transport/DAC and they have got an optical ProISL connection.

My secondary dac for my streamers is paired with a Totaldac Reclocker Mk2 which is trully beneficial for CAS.

I guess the Waversa digital gadgets for such application must be as good.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My primary digital setup is MSB Select Transport/DAC and they have got an optical ProISL connection.

My secondary dac for my streamers is paired with a Totaldac Reclocker Mk2 which is trully beneficial for CAS.

I guess the Waversa digital gadgets for such application must be as good.
I heard the demonstration in-room...but what mattered is at home. The Zanden has an entire 4-box setup where even the cables are designed by Zanden (i2s). I have had custom cables designed by Z:Axis which are sensational and led me to explore whether there is more to be driven out of the connection between Transport and DAC. So the Waversa now goes in between the Transport and DAC...and it really drove down noise whereby significant new information easily surfaced to the music level. It was quite a great experience doing it with Z:Axis in the room as well.

MSB may/may not benefit as much...no idea. But I know it works well with Zanden, and there are 2 owners here as well who use it with their digital (one of whom, Steve Vu, owns Wadax Ref so pretty serious budget and ears)...

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
BTW there is a very cheap made-in-China product which is said to be performing the same function for digital.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
BTW there is a very cheap made-in-China product which is said to be performing the same function for digital.

The upper model is RMB2780 only.

IMG-20221204-WA0015.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks. I suppose the same could be said for lots of things in audio. In any event, I am extraordinarily happy with the Waversa.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thanks. I suppose the same could be said for lots of things in audio. In any event, I am extraordinarily happy with the Waversa.
Me too.
If I haven't already got the Reclocker Mk2, I may buy one UMI to taste taste.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing