* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Revisited ::

Based on a true story; let the good times roll...
Being a Scorsese and DiCaprio's fan I enjoyed their work, including this one.

Overall (film): 76.5

Last edited:

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Wolf is one decadent movie.

addendum to Cars; I was not aware this was Paul Newman's last movie. George Carlin also dies 2 years after its release.

Also, the adult references are somewhat decadent ... like the flashing of a female "headlights" and the "Top Down" Motel with "convertible waitresses". :rolleyes:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Meru : the documentary showing the attempts by Conrad Anker and Jimmy Chin to climb the "Shark's Fin" on Meru in the Himalayas. This climb had defeated numerous other attempts, and actually defeated these guys on their first attempt when they got within 100m of the summit & had to retreat. Their climbing partner on the first attempt, a novice to high-altitude aid climbing, broke a few vertebrae and fractured his skull while filming extreme snowboarding, then rehabbed himself to join them fir the second attempt. As a climber of over 25 years, I was on the edge of my seat as the severity of the challenge was revealed. Many other climbs, Everest included, are far easier than Shark's Fin.

There is also a short section detailing the partnership between Anker and Alex Lowe, the famous climber who was killed in an avalanche on Shishapangma.

Lee

I watched Meru last night ::

Incredible! I worked for almost 30 years on the mountains of British Columbia, so any type of sports that have to do with the outdoors and challenges is my type of sport/work.
This documentary/film tells you about some people's goals in life, and with veracity and facts and superb imagery. ...The spirit that animates the soul and body, in the natural elements and that breaks it too. This is a Must See for anyone mildly interested by physical endurance and calculated experience. It goes beyond the unexpected, to the precipice of trust in one's another. ...The ultimate apotheosis of extreme skills. ...Mentally and physically.
{There's no cheating death here; you live or you die.}

Thx Lee for that previous introduction; it was 121% worth it.

Overall (everything): 90

Last word: Awe.

________

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Only twelve days to Christmas and most of my shopping is already done (family/friends presents, cards, music, films, ...).
I have fond memories of when we were only kids (before seven). Now I'm looking @ the newest younger ones ... the kids of the kids of our kids.

Last night I watched this ::

This film (2012) is based on real events (1947); a real challenge @ sea (Pacific Ocean) and on land. Instead of describing what's all about here's a link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kon-Tiki_expedition

________

________

? Overall (everything): 80

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Both Thomas Crown Affairs again
Just in the mood

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Outbreak then Twister

Twister played with either AuroMatic or DSU is very cool. Really increases the envelopment of the "twister experience".

Last night I watched the most recent release of The 5th Element - Mastered in 4K with Dolby Atmos. I have two previous versions (regular DVD and then the high bit version). This movie is the poster child for how good 1080P video can look on a 4K machine. It is simply breathtaking. And of course the audio jumped from regular Dolby surround to high res Dolby plus Atmos. Fun time.

I then re-watched San Andreas but sat in the sweet spot and had the volume cranked up. What an experience! With as much subwoofer power as I have (2000 watts driving an 18 inch sealed woofer ---- times four! And, unfortunately, it's not hard to image that level of catastrophe actually occurring at some point.

As many movies as I have watched with CGI effects, I never cease to be amazed at what they can now do. Truly remarkable.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015

Expected nothing, was blown away at this movie, really enjoyed it. Nice little sleeper of a flick.

THE-BEST-OFFER_poster.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Expected nothing, was blown away at this movie, really enjoyed it. Nice little sleeper of a flick.

Everything this movie director directed is a masterpiece; Giuseppe Tornatore ('Cinema Paradiso', 'The Legend of 1900', 'The Best Offer' - got them all on Blu).

? http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-what-was-it-*&p=327367&viewfull=1#post327367
?? http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-what-was-it-*&p=327859&viewfull=1#post327859
??? http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-what-was-it-*&p=328118&viewfull=1#post328118

Last edited:

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
last night, director Guillermo del Toro's Crimson Peak ...

“It’s not a ghost story, it’s a story with ghosts in it.”
Crimson-Peak-Movie-Poster-2.jpg

big beautiful colorful sets, an impressive creepy Gothic thriller (this is not a horror flick).

Unlike the vast majority of thrillers, Toro identifies the evil seeds very early, keeping the audience one step ahead of the main character ...

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Watched "Beasts of No Nations" based on Steve's suggestion. A powerful movie staring Idris Elba and a young boy who has the lead role. Not a happy movie but it gets you thinking.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
last night, director Guillermo del Toro's Crimson Peak ...
“It’s not a ghost story, it’s a story with ghosts in it.”
big beautiful colorful sets, an impressive creepy Gothic thriller (this is not a horror flick).
Unlike the vast majority of thrillers, Toro identifies the evil seeds very early, keeping the audience one step ahead of the main character ...

This will be on Blu-ray in February 09, 2016.
Is it still playing @ the theater?

Seems like a great movie. Went to buy it on Amazon and the DVD is $7 but the blu-ray is $43!!! What the heck???

$43 is outrageous, but still better than $79! :D

Amir, this BR is not available in North America; it's an import, and from most regions it is locked to B (not our country).
Get the DVD for only $7, your wife I think will love it too. Or if you are a Netflix guy (I'm not), check to see if it's there. :b

* Mine (BR) was an import, region A too. But it was a Limited Edition...all gone now.

Last night I revisited this (on DVD) ::

Directed by David Mamet (2001). ...One of my favorites (all; dialog, construction, acting performance, music score, tension, ...).

Overall score: 87

Last edited:

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Crimson is still in theaters here, and should be seen on the biggest screen possible. Toro`s a master with opulence & color ... IMO, easily his best movie since Pans Labyrinth.
Good chick flick too ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The Best Offer is on Netflix, its how I watched it!

Wow, awesome.

Everyone who has Netflix should watch 'The Best Offer' ...And check if 'The Legend of 1900' is there too. ...And 'Cinema Paradiso'
These three films directed by Giuseppe Tornatore are essential for any high end audiophile and cinephile. ...Because both moving pictures and audio are high artistic caliber of the highest level.

Not only you can take my word for it but for anyone here reading this you will be 100% appreciative, and among your wife, loved ones, children, and all your best friends that you can share with.

And while @ it, under the same director, check also 'Malèna' and 'Everybody's Fine'.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing