* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

Last night I watched Disc 1 from this flick in my movie library ::

78212_large.jpg

The film is three hours long (extended cut) @ 171 minutes, and that's why it comes with two BR discs, divided in two parts.
...For best picture quality.

It's been a while...so it was good to revisit because I love the music score by Hans Zimmer with Lisa Gerrard.
But guess what I noticed too...the picture quality as compared to today's best BR movies is no longer top notch...and sometimes the picture is blurry/unfocused.
Wow, from Sir Ridley Scott! Yep, 'Gladiator' (2000) is fifteen years old and in today's world the flaws are more obvious than ever. And yes, it is the remastered version, because the first release was very poor with edge enhancement.

Anyway, Disc 2 (part 2) is probably tonight, and with the overall score coming up next. But do expect the technical aspect (picture) to take a slight hit.
What will counteract that is the beautiful cinematography, the actor's performances, the gorgeous music score. Ridley has a true artistic vision for superb compositions.
....Can't wait for 'The Martian'.

* Listening to jazz piano right now, on the radio and outside on the balcony.

Last edited:
One thing I forgot to mention, regarding 'Gladiator' on Blu-ray; the contrast...some scenes are a little too dark...you lose some of the details.
And, some scenes with CGI effects, like buildings in the far background; you can tell they are fake...with good observation.
Still it doesn't take away from the film's value itself...too much.

I finished watching Gladiator last night...it was all of it on Disc One (Disc Two is the Spatial Features).

There were several things that I observed in this already 15-year old film:
1. Some actors looked straight @ the camera...bad form...they should have been fired, and frames deleted.
2. In many scenes the contrast was simply too high...we miss the details from the actor's faces, the costumes and the decors.
3. There was a guy (hippie with long hair and beard) holding a wooden cross inside what looks like an animal's enclave, with children inside. ...Jesus?
4. Many CGI structures you can tell they were fake (cardboard and matte paintings in the background).
5. In some combat scenes it looks like some warriors were kissing each other instead of cutting each other's throat (or head). ...Maybe not kissing but certainly passive...they should have been fired and frames removed.
6. Some scenes (many actually) with people in the background; they were doing stuff that didn't fit with the scenes...poor directing.
7. The music score; even if I love it, it is repeated in about twenty more other movies, and in top of that the quality recording is inferior with some harsh sections, distortion, and simply missing the grand essence...majesty. Even the score during the closing credits is poorly recorded...and the dynamic range was restricted...I much prefer the motion picture soundtrack from my CD.
8. The combat scenes, many of them in the arenas and @ the Coliseum were poorly choreographed...fake and unrealistic. ...Poor judgement of realism.
9. Over exaggerated performance from Caesar himself...the young dude...not his Dad.
10. RIP Oliver Reed and Richard Harris...two great actors that I always loved.

? My overall rating score (everything; film's value, acting, directing, storyline, performance by the crew and cast, decors, costumes, vistas, CGI effects, sound effects, picture, musical score...all): 70.5 (out of 100).

Last word: This Blu-ray flick doesn't age so well. ...This ain't no 'Lawrence of Arabia' ...a true classic.
Thank you for reading...and see you soon in the next cinema dimension...most likely tomorrow. :b ...And next year (2016) with UHD (4K).

I revisited the 3D version last night :::

100226_large.jpg

* Overall score (everything...even the 3D picture rendition): 69.5

By the way, every review of this animated film that you can find on the internet...they all give it around 95 (out of 100).
Am I the one who is more crazy, or is it everyone else? ...Sounds like Mad Max...almost. :b

Last edited:
Before last night I revisited this ::

76880_large.jpg
------
71641_large.jpg

But this time around I experimented with a 3D up-converted image from my Oppo BR player.
And you know what...it wasn't bad @ all. ...Fun.

Overall: 91.5

? Luv the music score and the ultra modern house perched high above ground...with the transparent swimming pool. :cool:

_________

And last night I simply re-watched few scenes from 'Mad Max..................Fury Road'. ...Fun too...and in real 3D (but not natively shot though).
<<>> Rating score for only checking few scenes: 99

Last edited:
I revisited this ::

84148_large.jpg

Overall: 82

Tough flick...devastating results. ...Real life is truly like that...in many circumstances and in many parts of this globe...very unfortunately.

I watched this last night ::

133779_large.jpg

I'm sure there is a thread here about this film...I'll look later on...for what it says.

Anyway I enjoyed it myself, I was riding along just fine all the way to the end. ...A cute love story...with unusual circumstances.
Overall (film value and Blu-ray technical aspects): 82

Last word: Recommended.

* I just checked...didn't find anything on The Age of Adaline. ...I'm a little surprised.

Last edited:
'The Age of Adaline' with Blake Lively & Harrison Ford ... no one?

_________

Last night, revisited ::

1028_large.jpg

It has been some time...twisted...great special effects...overall: 71.5
It's like a ride...inside a room. ...Hell of a ride.

Last edited:
Last night, revisited ::

1421_large.jpg

Just saw Session 9, an okay movie, quite atmospheric sometimes, but could have been executed better. Still quite weird.

I watched 'Furious 7' last night (on Blu - 2D).

Overall: 88

Last word: Pure eye-candy over-the-top entertainment. ...Wild ride...one of the best if not the best F&F so far. ...Recommended for sure.

________

135558_front.jpg

Last edited:
I watched 'Fast and Furious 7' last night (on Blu - 2D).

Not sure if you know the 'Honest Trailers' series on Youtube, but see this and then try to see some of the others for movies you've already watched, like 'Prometheus' - hilarious!

Yes, I am familiar with the "Honest Trailers" ... they simply enumerate all the greatest moments on each film, section by section like an expert surgeon.
It's like a huge Spoiler with a voice to kill for (the guy's voice). ...He loves movies so much that he cannot control all his emotional overreactions!
This guy must be on high alert medicines, lol.

Anyway, Furious 7 was awesome on Blu-ray, and highly entertaining...with all the love contained on this globe...and with also all the hate coming from its four corners.
I mean...let's be realistic here for a moment...how can you jump from one skyscraper to the next while driving a car? ...And since when cars jump from a high flying airplane, with parachutes, and land on the road below with drivers driving them all intact?

We've seen the same faces (actors) seven times now, and some of them can get a little tiring after a while. ...I won't name any, I let you free to pick the ones of your choice.

But if we can rise above it all F7 still remains an adrenaline rush action movie from the highest over-the-top caliber with eye popping colors, cars, chicks, and all that jazz.
The music is pumping heavy RAP music (my favorite style for that type of car flick), and all these young people have a dream...to be the best @ what they do and love to do.

Me, I'm just an observer, a movie-goer (mainly @ home, on Blu...both 3D and 2D), and eventually in UHD.

Sure, 'Citizen Kane' it ain't. ...It is two million times more entertaining and less boring. ;-) :-D ..It is uplifting with a high degree of disbelief suspension.
It is not for children aged between 3 and 7, it is not for matured people with a serious life...it is for young teenagers and young adults like me.

? That youtube trailer you just posted; it represents exactly how I viewed it...outrageously funny and entertaining...Highly Recommended...just for the RAP music alone.

Last edited:
Last night ::

121274_large.jpg

First, this could happen to anyone.

Ok, this flick is great...the young actors are great...the concept is not new but the rendition is. This is an important film, in my opinion.
I like the simplicity, the locales, the house, the entire atmosphere, most of these young actors (couple of them I would have give the casting director some hard time ;) ).

Overall (film's true value and all technical aspects including the music score...Blu-ray): 77

Last word: See it. And don't expect a quantum theory on metaphysical duality. It's just simple human weakness; it could happen to you, to me, to her, to them, ...to anyone.
We all were young once...we all did drugs, and have gotten drunk when we were young, when we were just kids. It's a good film, good for everyone.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing