* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great movie...perhaps the best one, though i do like 3 and 5. A proper tribute to Paul Walker.

Fast and Furious 7.jpg

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
This seems to be the most recommended order.

This is a copy and paste from another forum.

I would start with the Hobbit first. Some things that happen in the Hobbit franchise have no "stakes" if you watch the 3 LotR movies first. The Hobbit also gives back story for the main LotR story.

Makes a lot of sense and I was researching this the other day while also trying to find out the best order for Star Wars. Turns out there's a 'Machete' order for Star Wars to better enjoy the story, and something like IV V (part of)VI I(optional) II III (last part of VI) is the best one.

I was also looking for a good order of the James Bond movies prior to SPECTRE. Most people seem to think there's no particular order, but Fleming did have a chronology for his stories, and more importantly, there are events which make sense especially regarding SPECTRE and Blofeld that needs some movies to be watched in a certain order.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It's the same with Mad Max and Alien quadrilogies...there is an order to follow...by the year they were made. :b

- Fast and Furious franchise (7 films) ... yeah that too.
- Harry Potter
- Predator

Last night I simply re-watched 'Run All Night'...I luv that flick ::

Overall: 78 ...half point less two points more take it or leave it (say 75-80)...a solid presentation for a fun ride into the night.
And 'Cinderella' it ain't.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night I didn't know what to watch...so I just watch what first came up...'Predator' (1987), and in (((3D))) :::
Sure it's an older sci-fi flick, and with Arnold in it...but to me it's a classy one (simple, fun, and well done).
And I like the music score...it is atmospheric, transporting you in the jungle with that fear of the unknown...the invisible beast.

Let me put it this way...I enjoyed it more revisiting than when I first saw Jupiter Ascending in 3D.

If like me you don't know what to watch one day...just a thought. ...When alone, in the dark, late @ night. :b

_________

Overall fim's merit: 80
- Technical aspects (picture, sound, 3D): 64.99

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I revisited Max last night, the (((3D))) version :::

? I had guests over, musicians. And I put fresh batteries in all my active 3D glasses. ...And made popcorn.

They were all blown away, radically!

* Overall: 95 ...for everything...entertainment of highest caliber.
For my previous short outlook: [POST]337054[/POST]
{I think the first time I saw it in 3D my battery was not @ optimal charge capacity...because this time around it was much better.}

<<<>>> Tonight I'm watching the Super Lunar Eclipse (real live event)...and after that who knows. :b ...Apollo 13? ...Gravity? ...Interstellar?
...Mission to Mars? Red Planet? ...Lost in Space? ...Contact? ...Man on the Moon? ...

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night, (((3D))) version (no voice-over) :::

? Cretaceous Cut in 3D...that's the only logical way to experience this one (no voices)...just roars, special effects sound and music score.
If you listen to the main audio track with the voice-over you are in a deep world of pain and hurt...radically.

Overall: 40 (20 for the film documentary style, and 80 for the picture and sound technical aspects, plus 3D effects).

Kids stuff. :b

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Last night ' The Saint ', tonight
' The Ghost and the Darkness '

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
It's the same with Mad Max and Alien quadrilogies...there is an order to follow...by the year they were made. :b

- Fast and Furious franchise (7 films) ... yeah that too.
- Harry Potter
- Predator

Last night I simply re-watched 'Run All Night'...I luv that flick ::

Overall: 78 ...half point less two points more take it or leave it (say 75-80)...a solid presentation for a fun ride into the night.
And 'Cinderella' it ain't.

I also enjoyed this. Good acting by good actors.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
'Run All Night' is a simple great classic action flick. The characters (actors) are some of the best, and their chops are their art.
It is one of my favorite flicks of that genre in the last thirty-six months. ...For the actors and for the overall "feel" of it; and the hitman (the pro) is a pure delight to watch for his effective and professional methods. A good villain in a film, and a good hitman...are two main ingredients to an overall tasty cake.

I'm glad you liked it...I feel closer to your taste in films.
And for anyone else who hasn't seen it yet...give it a shot...and let us know if you agree with both of us.
Expect nothing...just go along as it unfolds on your screen.

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
'Run All Night' is a simple great classic action flick. The characters (actors) are some of the best, and their chops are their art.
It is one of my favorite flicks of that genre in the last thirty-six months. ...For the actors and for the overall "feel" of it; and the hitman (the pro) is a pure delight to watch for his effective and professional methods. A good villain in a film, and a good hitman...are two main ingredients to an overall tasty cake.

I'm glad you liked it...I feel closer to your taste in films.
And for anyone else who hasn't seen it yet...give it a shot...and let us know if you agree with both of us.
Expect nothing...just go along as it unfolds on your screen.

Bob,

I was thinking about you. There were some French cop movies from the 80s that were really great. I think that one had Gerard Depardieu in it. He played a corrupt cop who had to mentor a rookie that wasn't corrupt. I think that you'd like it, plus you wouldn't have to worry about the subtitles :).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Mike, I have very few French movies in my collection (no more than few hundreds), and same with the music.
When I was living in Quebec (I am 100% French) I was listening to more music in French, from our French artists, but also to Classical, Jazz, Blues, and many Rock&Roll bands like The Rolling Stones, the Beatles, etc.

Forty years ago we were watching movies in both French and English...my Dad is perfect bilingual. And alone ... Asterix and Obelix, in French. :b

Anyway, I listen to music and watch movies mainly in English (I'd say 95%).
Only when my two sisters visit that I have to select the French audio soundtrack...to accommodate them.

Yes sure, I know many French movies...with all the great French actors...but that was from my youth...mainly.
Now living in English territory, Hollywood has a large influence...but they are not my top...I still like some French flicks, Italian, Japanese, Chinese.
And I usually listen to the original audio soundtrack.

Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Louis De Funes, Gerard Depardieu, Brigitte Bardot, ... sure I've seen them and many more on the screen, and in real life too...some of them big French stars (mainly musicians and singers from both France and Quebec). But mainly I adapted to the artists with the main universal language...English.

There are several French audio/video forums...from Canada and France...I go occasionally but rarely.
I don't know why exactly...it's just the working entourage I've been in most of my life...English speaking people...the vast majority.

Even some French movie directors (Luc Besson) are filming in English. :b ...Yeah, English is the most universal language...after Music language.

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
Mike, I have very few French movies in my collection (no more than few hundreds), and same with the music.
When I was living in Quebec (I am 100% French) I was listening to more music in French, from our French artists, but also to Classical, Jazz, Blues, and many Rock&Roll bands like The Rolling Stones, the Beatles, etc.

Forty years ago we were watching movies in both French and English...my Dad is perfect bilingual. And alone ... Asterix and Obelix, in French. :b

Anyway, I listen to music and watch movies mainly in English (I'd say 95%).
Only when my two sisters visit that I have to select the French audio soundtrack...to accommodate them.

Yes sure, I know many French movies...with all the great French actors...but that was from my youth...mainly.
Now living in English territory, Hollywood has a large influence...but they are not my top...I still like some French flicks, Italian, Japanese, Chinese.
And I usually listen to the original audio soundtrack.

Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Louis De Funes, Gerard Depardieu, Brigitte Bardot, ... sure I've seen them and many more on the screen, and in real life too...some of them big French stars (mainly musicians and singers from both France and Quebec). But mainly I adapted to the artists with the main universal language...English.

There are several French audio/video forums...from Canada and France...I go occasionally but rarely.
I don't know why exactly...it's just the working entourage I've been in most of my life...English speaking people...the vast majority.

Even some French movie directors (Luc Besson) are filming in English. :b ...Yeah, English is the most universal language...after Music language.

I see.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Watched Man of Steel.

Not bad, but long.

Terrible colours: it's all dark. It's fun to check the 'Honest Trailer' about it on Youtube.

I believe there's a video as well on Youtube showing how it would look if the colours were fixed.

Antje Traue was good.

Last edited:

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
There were some French cop movies from the 80s that were really great. I think that one had Gerard Depardieu in it. He played a corrupt cop who had to mentor a rookie that wasn't corrupt. I think that you'd like it, plus you wouldn't have to worry about the subtitles :).

There definitely was a great period for Police stories ('Polars') in France in the 80s. The two 'monstres sacrés du cinéma français' at the time were Alain Delon and Jean-Paul Belmondo. Before that, Lino Ventura comes to mind.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
(I am 100% French)

Quebecois or French?

I don't consider the two equivalent.

I still like some French flicks, Italian, Japanese, Chinese.

Quite eclectic. I already like a lot of Martial Arts movies from Asia, and I have recently taken a liking for Nordic movies, especially 'Nordic Noir' types.

Jagten, with Mads Mikkelsen, is an amazing movie.

At the recent street fair, I got myself the original version of 'The Killing' on DVD!

It's going to be fun to watch this after having been through the first season of the original version of 'The Bridge'.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Going thru another batch of Randolf Scott westerns.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Quebecois or French?

I don't consider the two equivalent.

French Canadian (Quebec) of course, but I can also speak the "good" French from France...my education orientation.

Quite eclectic. I already like a lot of Martial Arts movies from Asia, and I have recently taken a liking for Nordic movies, especially 'Nordic Noir' types.

Jagten, with Mads Mikkelsen, is an amazing movie.

At the recent street fair, I got myself the original version of 'The Killing' on DVD!

It's going to be fun to watch this after having been through the first season of the original version of 'The Bridge'.

When you are a true universal cinema lover...I took Arts and Cinema History was part of my curriculum, you appreciate the grand masters...Italian, Japanese, French, American, Canadian, Spain, German, Asia, Europa, Mexico, ...of cinema international.

* I like Leone (Sergio) with his music contributor Morricone (Ennio). ...And about hundreds more from all over the world.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing