Bricasti M1SE with network card vs Esoteric N-05 network player

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for opinions on how these two DACs with network capabilities compare with each other. Would love to hear from someone who has heard both of them or ideally even done a A/B test in the same system.
Do they play in the same league or is one totally better than the other? I know they are in different price points, a fairer comparison would be the Esoteric N-01 ($12800 in Japan) and the Bricasti ($11000) , but no-one has heard the N-01 just yet, its too new.

I am only looking for comparison between these two DACs and not new DAC recommendations.

Thanks

caesar

May 30, 2010
I have never directly compared the 2 units, but moderately familiar with both. Here are some thoughts:

1. Sonic signatures -

Bricasti has a big bold, highly resolving, yet non-analytical sound. Really rocks!

Esoteric, on the other hand, is also very detailed and may sound great in one system, but analytical in another.

2. In my opinion, the Bricasti sounds better than the N05. But as you mention, N05 doesn't have the same DAC technology as the top models such as k01x and ko1 black. Yet as good as the Bricasti is, I think the sound quality of Chord Dave, which is not a network player, is pretty much better in most respects than the Bricasti from my auditions, but the 2 are fairly close. Yet at it's price point, the Bricasti is no doubt a reference-level product at a very inviting price point.

3. Flexibility: Here's where Bricasti wins over most DAC products. Whereas Esoteric churns out new models every 4-5 years that can't be upgraded, Bricasti releases updates every 1 or 2 years that may be incorporated at their factory for a small fee. Just send the unit to the factory for a week, and for $1K-$2K, you get a virtually new product that competes with ( or just a hair behind) other reference level products that cost much more!

4. You need great power conditioning to maximize the sound of digital - in addition to the unit itself. Use a product like Silver circle, shunyata, audioquest, etc., to get your digital to sound "more quiet and analog". All Esoteric models, in general, are heavier because of a huge power supply to help filter out the electrical nasties, but if you get a good power conditioner, you will really hear what each unit is capable of. This goes for all digital, yet many people are not aware of this and knock digital gear when they haven't put all the pieces in place to maximize the sound of their digital investment.

Since both products do the network stuff, I think if you like the sound of one over another, that should be the determining factor. But unless you like to swap units, the flexibility of Bricasti is a HUGE benefit.

Good Luck!

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
I have never directly compared the 2 units, but moderately familiar with both. Here are some thoughts:

1. Sonic signatures -

Bricasti has a big bold, highly resolving, yet non-analytical sound. Really rocks!

Esoteric, on the other hand, is also very detailed and may sound great in one system, but analytical in another.

2. In my opinion, the Bricasti sounds better than the N05. But as you mention, N05 doesn't have the same DAC technology as the top models such as k01x and ko1 black. Yet as good as the Bricasti is, I think the sound quality of Chord Dave, which is not a network player, is pretty much better in most respects than the Bricasti from my auditions, but the 2 are fairly close. Yet at it's price point, the Bricasti is no doubt a reference-level product at a very inviting price point.

3. Flexibility: Here's where Bricasti wins over most DAC products. Whereas Esoteric churns out new models every 4-5 years that can't be upgraded, Bricasti releases updates every 1 or 2 years that may be incorporated at their factory for a small fee. Just send the unit to the factory for a week, and for $1K-$2K, you get a virtually new product that competes with ( or just a hair behind) other reference level products that cost much more!

4. You need great power conditioning to maximize the sound of digital - in addition to the unit itself. Use a product like Silver circle, shunyata, audioquest, etc., to get your digital to sound "more quiet and analog". All Esoteric models, in general, are heavier because of a huge power supply to help filter out the electrical nasties, but if you get a good power conditioner, you will really hear what each unit is capable of. This goes for all digital, yet many people are not aware of this and knock digital gear when they haven't put all the pieces in place to maximize the sound of their digital investment.

Since both products do the network stuff, I think if you like the sound of one over another, that should be the determining factor. But unless you like to swap units, the flexibility of Bricasti is a HUGE benefit.

Good Luck!

Thank you for your great and very useful response.

I have always been a tube guy who is slowly switching to solid-state for convenience.
So from your message, it seems like Bricasti would be a better fit for me.

I was leaning towards the N-5 because there's dealer support for it here (India) as opposite to Bricasti (no representation). But I do travel to the USA every year or so.

I am intrigued by the N-1 also, but no news about it yet.
Chord Dave sounds amazing. I will think more about it also. I just wish it had a ethernet support, so I would have to have another transport box.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Which one do you think is more analog sounding?

Hi,
I think sounding "analog" is a construct of one's imagination. Talk to 10 guys who have auditioned independently and you will likely get 10 different responses.

To me, analog and digital formats are inherently different, and both enjoyable. What I do to get something to sound "analog" is I play a professionally-done, 192/24 rip of a vinyl record on a DAC whose sonic signature I enjoy. Vinyl rips happens to be my favorite digital format. But again, that DAC MUST get the benefits of excellent power conditioning, or it's like driving your 600 horse power super-car on a crappy road, bouncing up and down like a yolk in a shaken egg... which isn't fun to say the least.

If I had to choose, I would take the Bricasti over any Esoteric network product, unless that Esoteric has the DAC and circuitry of the new one-box K1, the one-box Grandioso product. But that is me... Yet that unit will likely be a lot more money than we are talking about here, which in turn will open additional cohort of gear to compare it to...

Good Luck!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi,
Another thought is that Esoteric is in the business to sell you as many boxes as you can afford and can make space for. This is for when you upgrade, or if you just get a solo unit.

Their products sound significantly better with an outboard clock... So if you go the Esoteric route, just listen to the unit you are interested in, don't listen to the unit with an additional outboard clock! Otherwise, you will start thinking about how you can get that clock into your system!

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Hi,
I think sounding "analog" is a construct of one's imagination. Talk to 10 guys who have auditioned independently and you will likely get 10 different responses.

To me, analog and digital formats are inherently different, and both enjoyable. What I do to get something to sound "analog" is I play a professionally-done, 192/24 rip of a vinyl record on a DAC whose sonic signature I enjoy. Vinyl rips happens to be my favorite digital format. But again, that DAC MUST get the benefits of excellent power conditioning, or it's like driving your 600 horse power super-car on a crappy road, bouncing up and down like a yolk in a shaken egg... which isn't fun to say the least.

If I had to choose, I would take the Bricasti over any Esoteric network product, unless that Esoteric has the DAC and circuitry of the new one-box K1, the one-box Grandioso product. But that is me... Yet that unit will likely be a lot more money than we are talking about here, which in turn will open additional cohort of gear to compare it to...

Good Luck!

The K-01Xs and K-03Xs just announced for the Japanese (wider Asian?) market will fit your criterion when they make it here.

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
Hi,

Good Luck!

That I believe would be the N-01, it's supposed to have the innards of K1 Grandioso. It retails for as much as the Bricasti M1 SE Network player (if you take into account the Japan pricing).

caesar

May 30, 2010
Please! No worries! This hobby is so subjective...and whatever makes it more fun is good by me...

Anyways, if you do go with the Esoteric, the N01 will greatly benefit, like all Esoteric products do, from an external clock... The clock will smoothen out the sometimes-analytical nature of Esoteric digital and make the timing feel "more right".... But it is an extra box - that costs extra money and takes up extra space, requires a power cable and a connecting cable, etc.

If you haven't budgeted for the clock, don't listen to it!!

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
Please! No worries! This hobby is so subjective...and whatever makes it more fun is good by me...

Anyways, if you do go with the Esoteric, the N01 will greatly benefit, like all Esoteric products do, from an external clock... The clock will smoothen out the sometimes-analytical nature of Esoteric digital and make the timing feel "more right".... But it is an extra box - that costs extra money and takes up extra space, requires a power cable and a connecting cable, etc.

If you haven't budgeted for the clock, don't listen to it!!

I am so not interested in getting a clock. Just one box please.

The problem with Bricasti is that there are no dealers for it here in India (I will have buy from USA, get it voltage changed etal), but Esoteric has one here.

And Esoteric seems to have better built quality, at least it looks like it, solid sealed aluminium chassis.

Looks like I will have to wait, and decide during my upcoming trip to the USA in summer.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I am so not interested in getting a clock. Just one box please.

The problem with Bricasti is that there are no dealers for it here in India (I will have buy from USA, get it voltage changed etal), but Esoteric has one here.

And Esoteric seems to have better built quality, at least it looks like it, solid sealed aluminium chassis.

Looks like I will have to wait, and decide during my upcoming trip to the USA in summer.

Yep, I understand. Nothing is ever easy in this hobby. Good Luck

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing