Golden Gate 2 Reactions

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
It sounds completely different from EML. We had EML with us too. And comparing it to RK recti is not advisable because RK sounds batter on other valves while Ayon sounds better on RK 300b

Although, I know for a fact that Emission Labs makes the Ayon rectifier for Ayon. I guess the devils in the details.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Although, I know for a fact that Emission Labs makes the Ayon rectifier for Ayon. I guess the devils in the details.

I know this too

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Norman likes them in his.

It is just pot luck, basically. It's not just the DAC it is harmony with the rest of the system. My amps and Apogees just love that GM 45.

It's mainly the dac and the pre. Your 45s were the best sounding when we used your airtight passive. In the active, while you might prefer them, I preferred the PX25, followed by RK.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
It's mainly the dac and the pre. Your 45s were the best sounding when we used your airtight passive. In the active, while you might prefer them, I preferred the PX25, followed by RK.

I disagree we only changed the preamps. Change the speakers and which valve is best would change again.

Plus our music tastes also mean our preferences differ. I thought PX25 was the worst of your valves on the stuff I usually listen too.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Norman likes them in his.

It is just pot luck, basically. It's not just the DAC it is harmony with the rest of the system. My amps and Apogees just love that GM 45.

242 is Good with the Pac...Not good with my GG.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I disagree we only changed the preamps. Change the speakers and which valve is best would change again.

Plus our music tastes also mean our preferences differ. I thought PX25 was the worst of your valves on the stuff I usually listen too.

Justin I have done experiments changing both. Also you are missing the point, that I am not highlighting preferences here, but of electrical match with the pre, which is why the 45s sounded better on the airtight. You can hear more energy with them on this pre while on the other they are weaker. If you go to Dave's, you won't like them with any music. They are totally weak. Same at Paul's.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Justin I have done experiments changing both. Also you are missing the point, that I am not highlighting preferences here, but of electrical match with the pre, which is why the 45s sounded better on the airtight. You can hear more energy with them on this pre while on the other they are weaker. If you go to Dave's, you won't like them with any music. They are totally weak. Same at Paul's.

Then again Anniv 45 was obviously awesome in Rob's GG. Hattor, Horns FP15 set up.

Ked don't forget I own the Air Tight and the obviously uncool Cayin I prefer to the EAR 868PL, to try and give it some cred.

I have a lot more than a couple of hours of experience and spent a long time with your 242, PX25 and Anniv 45.

I do see where your coming from with GM 45 and the Cayin. I think the GM 45 with the Cayin is possibly a bit too stereotypically "tubey" for some, and the Air Tight eradicates that.

I like living with the Air Tight from time to time (it's now an old, familiar friend I have kept for more than a decade) for the different insight it offers i.e. less coloured, but in the long term the Cayin wins every time i.e. I definitely spend more time with it. To my ears it is the better 'on average' allrounder.

That said, the Hattor is an excellent passive, too. So maybe there is something to said about if you are using a passive, or a Lampi with a passive volume controller and no preamp, the Anniv/GM 45 is a good bet. Then again, I wouldn't like to bet on it!:)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I agree at Rob's the 45s sound the best. It is amazing how much a couple of hours experience in his system can show you. You should try listening to other systems for a change to see what it means for naive to work with the pre and what it doesn't. None of your comments show me you get that because you keep referring to personal preferences and musical preferences. Very simple exercise, take your RK And the 45 and travel to Dave's. He has the 242. You will know. Play any music you like... classical, rock, electronic...

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
A preamp is a must for any system it’s purpose is to level out the sound as we change tubes. On any lampi there are a few factors why tubes sound different and it’s much than speakers or genre too.
An amp has input imp and each made has a varying amount to match. Se or bal alone vary this greatly. A lampi has no output tranny so it is a high imp that varies with tubes too. This is a big part of what you guys are arguing over but no one is saying this. A passive pre may be good but an active pre will be better it’s addition to macro and micro dynamics is a big reason why. It also levels the sound more this is part of the wrongs a lampi does to matching our amps.
I always had a passive active pre it helped level things but the active part was bad too so I get the passive pre part to a point.
Lastly the type of interconnects we use and the distance also matters greatly. A longer run kills a passive pre and is effecting an active one too. As such the pre we choose also must be considered. For anyone who chooses almost any dac and doesn’t use a pre may get lucky but still has more potential of better sound they can achieve.
As for eml and Ayon I have no idea why a company gets bought and uses the same lable and boxes and makes them sound different is a concern for me and more likly not true in how it’s being said in the above posts. A simpler explanation is tube break in or even a defective or worn out pair. Again I don’t have any to compare in this but still remain a skeptic. How does one know it’s past eml or new Ayon ?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Shinkoh good but Audio Note Silver Tantalums much better though take ages to break in like most silver components.
Never was a fan of the WBT nextgeb AG. :):)

Can't please everyone. The AN is a Shinkoh copy. I'll avoid that, thanks. It is apparently no different sonically according to some.

EDIT: ah sorry, for some reason I just didn't take in that you were on about the silver AN, even though it is abundantly obvious.

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
A preamp is a must for any system it’s purpose is to level out the sound as we change tubes. On any lampi there are a few factors why tubes sound different and it’s much than speakers or genre too.
An amp has input imp and each made has a varying amount to match. Se or bal alone vary this greatly. A lampi has no output tranny so it is a high imp that varies with tubes too. This is a big part of what you guys are arguing over but no one is saying this. A passive pre may be good but an active pre will be better it’s addition to macro and micro dynamics is a big reason why. It also levels the sound more this is part of the wrongs a lampi does to matching our amps.
I always had a passive active pre it helped level things but the active part was bad too so I get the passive pre part to a point.
Lastly the type of interconnects we use and the distance also matters greatly. A longer run kills a passive pre and is effecting an active one too. As such the pre we choose also must be considered. For anyone who chooses almost any dac and doesn’t use a pre may get lucky but still has more potential of better sound they can achieve.
As for eml and Ayon I have no idea why a company gets bought and uses the same lable and boxes and makes them sound different is a concern for me and more likly not true in how it’s being said in the above posts. A simpler explanation is tube break in or even a defective or worn out pair. Again I don’t have any to compare in this but still remain a skeptic. How does one know it’s past eml or new Ayon ?

The whole point is you are varying components that do not have identical specs in a device that is markedly sensitive to it. At least I think that is what you are saying.

That's the whole idea, really, and what makes the product such fun, I think.

And no one really agrees what's great which really makes it all the more interesting. There's some degree of agreement but certainly enough disagreement:)

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Yes it’s my point but also it’s need to achieve its best sound. I love the hunt too and always tell others how it can be a dac for all

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The whole point is you are varying components that do not have identical specs in a device that is markedly sensitive to it. At least I think that is what you are saying.

That's the whole idea, really, and what makes the product such fun, I think.

And no one really agrees what's great which really makes it all the more interesting. There's some degree of agreement but certainly enough disagreement:)

Looks good what is it for ? Attenuation?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Looks good what is it for ? Attenuation?

Yeah. Lampi fitted what look like generic (maybe Takman Rex metal film?) 0.25 470K Watt.

I've just been talking to the man and we are going for Audio Note non-magnetic tantalum film 0.5 Watt x4 at 470K. The Silver AN Tants aren't available at that rating.

That's cos they are out of stock on the Shinkohs at 470K.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Yeah. Lampi fitted what look like generic (maybe Takman Rex metal film?) 0.25 470K Watt.

I've just been talking to the man and we are going for Audio Note non-magnetic tantalum film 0.5 Watt x4 at 470K. The Silver AN Tants aren't available at that rating.

That's cos they are out of stock on the Shinkohs at 470K.

Escuse me!

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/470k-2w-audio-note-silver-tantalum.html

2W better than 0.5w

You’ll thank me, but maybe not your wallet .

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
I have found the 242s superb in the GG. They took a while to completely "burn in", they seem to match my Ypsilon passive pre really well.

Have recently got hold of a couple of 5R4WGs an A and Y which preform really well especially at 20 quid. However after some extended listening they are not as transparent as my EML 5U4G. Would like to try a KR recti to compare.

You are welcome to have a listen Justin, still hoping to get down to listen to your Apogees.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing