Aplomb Gone Crazy - An Evening Event At A High-End Retailer

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Aplomb Gone Crazy - An Evening Event At A High-End Retailer

May my ears forgive me...........................

My local high-end retailer had an event the other evening, a table of generous food offerings, a program slip describing what equipment was in which room, free wine and beer............hard to pass these events up. ;)

Confession, I have not been playing my system much at all for the past couple of years, and when I do often it is just background music on my back-up CD changer. In other words, my ears are pretty fresh, even for a 57 year old guy.

Here is the trend I've been noticing, and in my opinion has gone a bit too far, I'm it calling - Aplomb Gone Crazy.

To describe; remember the first drum you heard in person? How about that first drum kit the cool kid in school had? There is something about percussion instruments that separates them from most other instruments, that whack sound, the impact of a sound pressure wave, the so-called in your face and through your body "aplomb". Maybe I'm using the wrong word, but nothing sounds more confident than a primal drum being beaten upon..................and drums are bass, let's face it.

That's why they call it a freaking drum beat.:eek:

So........(getting to my angst)........when other instruments attempt to mimic that energy via an enhanced loudspeaker or arc-welding capable amplification, well.......they just don't sound like themselves. Not like live acoustic music anyway.

Sure it was great when self-powered subwoofers first came out for home theater application and to take advantage of then new Compact Discs. Man-o-man that bass had impact, bang, boom, pow!

Then some self-powered speakers attempted to take that into the upper bass and midrange levels, but were all rather technical sounding (to my mid-fi ears of the time).

So getting to that trend I'm attempting to describe, it's been growing whatever it is, and it is a bully at times.

It bullies my ears into surrealistic 3D stereo that is more poignant and dynamic than live music at times.

Sure you have heard it in the bass before, and of course tweeters that etch and score your ears in unrelenting ultrasonic attacks.

Now it's finally arrived in the mid-range. And it's not the sweet voice of Holly Cole on mini-monitors powered by tubes in a small room with near-field seating. Nope, this is an in your face, any instrument in the mid-range sounding as dynamic and punchy as the most powerful Timpani drum at it's focal point.

I do not think this is the way music is supposed to sound, it draws attention away from the music and draws attention to the speakers themselves.

If you have not heard this, then you may not have heard $60,000 speakers paired with $60,000 amps turned up to impress.

I think that with any new tool, it takes art to refine it's use. The tools in this case is the technology superseding the craft. Like using a sledgehammer to kill an ant there just isn't much finesse being exhibited.

I hesitate to list the names of the guilty, but can say this is 100% my subjective opinion and you are free to call me an idiot.

Sonus Faber - it is these loudspeakers I suspect are the source of my bewilderment.

McIntosh - solid state amps

Audio Research - KT150 tube amp

I know what McIntosh sounds like, I do not fault them.

Audio Research should be congratulated, they finally allowed tubes to bloom like they should and stopped choking the life out of them attempting to sound like solid state.

Sonus Faber, at one time my favorite box speaker because it didn't sound like a box and was just so darn musical. WFT happened?

In many ways Sonus Faber has made an amazing achievement, a true break through in dynamics, long hailed as the last crippling threshold to obtaining the sound of live music.

On the other hand...............instead of creating a sexy seductress they created a Brunhilde.

http://thenorsegods.com/brunhilde/

I do no blame the speakers completely, they would not be able to reach their goal without accomplices. The quest for dynamics with little regard for anything else is the culprit, the speakers just took it to a new level.

Maybe old fatigued ears need this kind of in your face juicing, mine recoiled from it.

May my ears forgive me for what I put them through.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I think the best word to describe this is bombastic. Big, bold and bombastic and sounding nothing at all like the real thing. A double bass should not sound like a sledgehammer and a vocal shouldn’t be 6 feet wide by 6 feet high. Sorry for the rant but I agree completely.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Im confused .. what is the post ranting against ..modern speakers or SF or that your fresh ears are suffering cos of other deaf old farts or all of the above?

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I guess I'm sharing my experience to see if anyone else has noticed this trend.

Bombastic, excellent tag for it.

It's just weird, the top end is so darn convincing but ear bleeding at the same time.

The middle so dynamic, yet so unrelatable.

The bass is spot on, but perhaps so accurate thoughts of layering and body were absent.

In all three rooms the presenters/sales representives claiming long term listenablity as the objective yet I've never been less convinced.

I play my stereo so little that I've actually used these frequent events as a chance to listen to music. This was the first time ever that I was disapointed.

If this is progress, then I want no part of it.

My biggest complaint is the new SF tweeter. I doubt that my original post made that clear. Let me say it is a huge fail and a huge success at the same time. Like a beautiful woman screaming at you.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I have one, but my wife filled the room with too much stuff. I need to spend a few weekends clearing it out, but she will reclaim the area, it is a never ending cycle.

In short, I was not drawn into the music that evening, I was force fed it.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Kach, you’re onto something.
When I traded in my aspiration for low to medium efficiency skyscraper tall multidriver towers and take no prisoners SS, for SETs and high efficiency ful range spkrs is when I turned the page and let the music speak to me, not broadcast loud and wide.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I've heard something similar, a class D amp made my Pioneer S-1EX speakers sound like they were work to listen to vs the A/AB SS amp I normally use, which sounds great with the S-1s. The S-1s use Mg mid and Be dome tweeters and are more picky about the rest of the system being a good match vs many other speakers. With the D amp I'd rarely want to turn my system on after a while, with the A/AB SS amp it's a totally different experience.

Many new high end speakers use very revealing drivers that have hard cone/dome materials that are not easy to work with as far as both the speaker design avoiding audible break-up artifacts and electronics playing nicely as well. I think what you heard was the result of some unfortunate mismatches in gear or simply a much different subjective preference.

Reactions: Jleeck

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I think what you heard was the result of some unfortunate mismatches in gear or simply a much different subjective preference.
At these events there is usually a calling for more music to be played resulting in the owner of the shop to come in and usher things along.

This didn't really happen this time.

In addition the reps seemed set on talking more than usual in the beginning, leaving less time for listening. This tells me that perhaps they were not as confident in the product selling themselves.

The Sonus Faber guys (McIntosh Group) claimed they were the first to use carbon-fiber/Kevlar drivers and open up the back of the basket on a driver as well as introduce the 3/4 elliptical cabinet shape many others have copied. Oh and the pod driver on top of the unit (aka B&W) that they no longer use was first on their products.

They have gone back to using special pulp (paper) drivers and silk dome tweeter, all which should have been very forgiving break up wise. Sadly, three different amps, three different rooms, and the speaker line family being the only common denominator that I know of.

Like I said they were phenomenal and ground breaking in many respects, yet were just too aggressive for my tastes.

I'm going to keep an eye out for reviews that might support or dispute my first impressions.

Lilium Loudspeakers

Venere S loudspeakers

il Cremonese loudspeakers

I also thought the Chris-Craft-like walnut finish to be less glamorous looking than the previous generation.

The look in general just was not as sexy as the older stuff, in my opinion. I hate to say it, but they looked "value engineered" a bit.

I would like to hear some other KT150 tube amps as a comparison to the Audio Research reference 750 SE mono amps I heard. Was told the Tung-Sol KT150 was a plug-in for the KT120, but these amps were designed ground up with the KT150's in mind.

I should note that I was in three different listening positions.

1. Way off to one side in the back

2. Dead center in the sweet-spot

3. Center, but up too close

My impressions were the same, and none of them had a very solid phantom center stage image. Especially surprising considering that they are all tower speakers.

EDIT-1:

To give you an idea of what I do like, the $20,000 Sonus Faber Elipsa loudspeakers were my favorite in their line, liked them much better than their more expensive stuff. If I were going with a box, that would be the one. I'm a panel guy at heart.

EDIT-2:

Sonus Faber Il Cremonese
http://www.absolutesounds.com/pdf/main/press/HFN_0816_Cremonese_4web.pdf
It can be as fierce or as delicate as it is elegant.

EDIT-3:

Sonus Faber Venere S review
https://www.whathifi.com/sonus-faber/venere-s/review
Any speakers at this level demand talented partnering equipment and these towers are no different...................

We hear huge dynamic swings with no shortage of muscularity, impressive refinement thanks to a sweet and rounded top-end and a pleasing degree of agility.

Huge dynamics - YES

Rounded Top End - Hell NO! :cool:

EDIT-4:

Sonus faber Lilium Loudspeaker
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/sonus-faber-lilium-loudspeaker/
Drive isn’t a bad word to use in connection with the Lilium..............

The search for higher resolution is one I happen to welcome, and the Lilium helps provide more of it.

One other common denominator, the host's music server. It was a little fickle by the end of the evening, not sure if that could have anything to do with it.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
"I think that with any new tool, it takes art to refine it's use."

So, so true and all too often ignored!

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I'm perhaps taking this a bit out of context, but I liked this so much that I've decided to associate it with the so-called "Bombastic" effect described shortly after the opening post.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/humanaudio2/3.html
Rather than sitting politely somewhere behind the speakers, music actively emotes across space toward the listening seat. A former contributor referred to that as the lap-dance perspective.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing