I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

The only record damage I have experienced first hand is a supposedly new Benz LPS-MR with a broken/crack-off (partially) diamond stylus I did not see (thought it looked small and was in denial). Carved up the first few grooves on the record immediately on first play.

In any event, many of those old UK Classical records...Decca, EMI have detectable surface noise, even when visually perfect. I can only attribute this to heavier tracking force of the day couple with not exact cart alignment and possibly the make up of the vinyl itself. I will have to see how these records play on the vintage ortofon SPU from the day to see if the surface noise is less than when playing a modern day cart.

I have currently backed off from 4 grams to 3.5 grams (SPU GTE range 3-5g) and like the sound better. This could be a result of a suspension not as compliant as it used to be considering the cart is almost 50 yrs. old.

Dear Sirs, suffice to say;any vinyl that has seen a vintage style cartridge,WILL have damage that will be audible when modern devices are subsequently deployed.

I have done extensive testing using NOS vinyl as the norm.The results caused me to follow an exceptionally linear path,with equal measure forcing me to ditch a lot of expensive machinery.

When playing ultimate condition vinyl I use only the Red Sparrow or the Sumile on a linear tracking arm.These choices are the most controllable and predictable during playback.

This said, vintage cartridges still dominate,numerically speaking,my collection.Especially the Garrot Brothers Decca Blue.

Kindest regards,G.

+1

As a fellow collector, I 100% concur with this post. I would absolutely NOT listen to any of my valuable LP's with an old SPU or any other old cartridge that has a stylus that has possibly extensive wear and therefore the
potential for considerable damage.

Last edited:
This is an excellent sounding vintage MC with built in tranny. Tracking range 1-1.5g...Quite a change from the SPU 3-5 grams. This and the vintage SPU sound great with ED1 SXL... Decca.

Attachments

• 67905C62-76D0-465E-A9F7-3AF253B02710.jpeg
    67905C62-76D0-465E-A9F7-3AF253B02710.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 253
  • C4D8FA51-2E4A-4334-8E99-1C151302B9D8.jpeg
    C4D8FA51-2E4A-4334-8E99-1C151302B9D8.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 257
This is an excellent sounding vintage MC with built in tranny. Tracking range 1-1.5g...Quite a change from the SPU 3-5 grams. This and the vintage SPU sound great with ED1 SXL... Decca.
Do you know when these where made ? Some of the tech talk resembles current lingo, the pricing is missing 2 or 3 zero’s !

Last edited:
Late 60’s; two zeros:).
Edit-can go to 3 zeros too.

david
Advance in performance is incrimental. In pricing it is logarithmic ! :)

Whoa. That is a beaut.

It sure is!

David, from what material are the black shelves made?

I like how the feet on the turntable match the feet on the stand.

This rack is really good looking.

It sure is!

David, from what material are the black shelves made?

I like how the feet on the turntable match the feet on the stand.

The black shelves are carbon steel with stainless as option, the rest is all stainless. Design is completely modular, there are 3 different shelf heights you can pick and choose any combination up to 5 shelves and modify at any point in time in the future too. You can even split the rack into two all you need is a set of the short bars with feet and caps for the plate, there's no obsolescence with the Nothing :)! I'm traveling now and don't have any good pictures just some I took with the phone but this will give you an idea of what it is.

IMG_3346.JPG

IMG_3352-1.jpg

IMG_3369-3.jpg

IMG_3372-2.jpg

This is the first order for a lucky AS owner for 5 of them customized for his system.

Short racks.jpg

david

Last edited:
Very cool, David! Thank you!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing