Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: First Sounds: Grand Prix Audio Monaco 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Wow and with Albert's technics Texas has all the DDs covered
    Alberts is killer good too ! I've heard it with the SME V-12's but not the 4 points I think he's using now...
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Preamp: Robert Koda K10
    Amp: Nagra HD Amps
    Cables: Transparent Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus phono
    Power Transparent Opus, Opus Source Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    John, putting aside pride of ownership and natural bias twds your own tt, did you feel there were any areas that Albert's modded SP10 or the Kodo Beat have the measure or exceed yr GPA 1.5?
    I was suprised that Albert turned down the Wave Kinetics NVS for his SP10 - M Lavigne went the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofmusic View Post
    John, putting aside pride of ownership and natural bias twds your own tt, did you feel there were any areas that Albert's modded SP10 or the Kodo Beat have the measure or exceed yr GPA 1.5?
    I was suprised that Albert turned down the Wave Kinetics NVS for his SP10 - M Lavigne went the other way.
    It's hard to do this. None were side by side. I'd say Albert's had a killer authority and density on each note. Rock solid imaging. My guess is it's his very heavy plinth and platter. Sinks vibes and acts as a flywheel. Both Kodo's just nothing to complain about. Just great. I'd say my Monaco 1.0 has the best pitch stability - nothing I heard from the heavily modded technics or the Kodo drove me to even consider a change. Not saying mine is superior...just saying I didn't hear anything to consider a switch.
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS

Sure.
    Well by definition, if you're bowled over by the 2.0 over 1.5, that's going to be v significant, in effect a definite step up over modded SP10 and Beat.

[Industry Expert] Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
    It's a good table. I have 2 friends with that table locally. Heard it many times. I like my GPA Monaco...I will say the Monaco is sensitive to the stand it's on. I use Grand Prix Audio stands and a great synergy here. I think you have to consider this bundled "system". I know other stand fare very well too with the Monaco...but not all..
    This is an excellent point about the stand and worth noting by folks considering the Monaco. While it has vibration absorbing material between its double wall CF plinth, and the Apex footers help, GPA expects its user to pay attention to its platform as an aid to improvement. As you say, the 'table is sensitive to what it sits on - though I don't have any sensitivity comparisons with other 'tables. I wrote about the 1.5 and 2.0 while they sat on a SRA Scuttle v3. It really helps mitigate vibration impact and absorb vibration from the 'table - however - I know I can do better for it. I've heard nothing but good things about the GPA stands. Of course there are multiple options here. I plan to upgrade the Monaco's platform in the next year.
    See my Mahler thread here.

Tima, I can imagine a cutting edge design like the Monaco would benefit from cutting edge active eg Herzan or passive eg Stacore.
    For my part, so impressed am I w the Stacore under cdp and bpt, I've bought one for my tt, sound unheard, 100% convinced it will be a match made in Heaven under my tt.
    And I'm confident the GP too.

All suspension-less turntables would benefit from proper isolation. The greater the capability of the suspension-less turntable, the greater the benefit from proper isolation.
    Turntable/Arm - Yamaha GT 2000/Yamaha YSA-1
    Cartridge - Soundsmith The Voice(Ebony)
    Phono stage - Moon LP 5.3
    Preamp - Hornshoppe The Truth
    Speakers - KRK Expose E8B Mastering Monitors

Turntable support counts as another component. 21 Clearaudio Magix and more.

Quote Originally Posted by tima View Post
    This is an excellent point about the stand and worth noting by folks considering the Monaco. While it has vibration absorbing material between its double wall CF plinth, and the Apex footers help, GPA expects its user to pay attention to its platform as an aid to improvement. As you say, the 'table is sensitive to what it sits on - though I don't have any sensitivity comparisons with other 'tables. I wrote about the 1.5 and 2.0 while they sat on a SRA Scuttle v3. It really helps mitigate vibration impact and absorb vibration from the 'table - however - I know I can do better for it. I've heard nothing but good things about the GPA stands. Of course there are multiple options here. I plan to upgrade the Monaco's platform in the next year.
    Embarrassing, I just saw about 5 grammar issues in my post you just quoted...

I hope you get a chance to check out the Grand Prix Silverstone F1 stands...I haven't compared to your SRA, I just know the Silverstones are exceptional...
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567