favorite female singer of all time

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
McLachlan here. Plenty of fine ladies to fill the second spot but for me, Sarah has got to be the one. The wife and I like her so much, we danced our first dance with her singing the song "Push". It was a pleasure to see her last time she came to Charlotte.

Tom

audio-land

Member Sponsor
May 9, 2015
www.audio-land.net
McLachlan here. Plenty of fine ladies to fill the second spot but for me, Sarah has got to be the one. The wife and I like her so much, we danced our first dance with her singing the song "Push". It was a pleasure to see her last time she came to Charlotte.

Tom
She has the voice of an angel https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i1GmxMTwUgs

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Whitney Houston (for voice) and Sarah McLachlan (for singer/songwriter) and Stevie Nicks (for her work overall).

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Hands down, it's Barbra Streisand.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Lyambiko, Sandy Denny and Judy Collins.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Maria Callas

She created her own art, and some people hated it because it wasn't classically beautiful, but who cares it sounded way better and she is by far not only the most talented soprano of all time, but her veracity, her willingness to show facts, accuracy, and honesty in very aspect of her career is so amazing even on top of all her talent. She didn't care about beauty as much as she cared about creating her own honest style that to this day has changed the way sopranos sing, she was honest and cared solely about what she wanted to accomplish and not what everyone else thought if her. She broke through with unbelievable talent that was her own individual sounds that were out of the norm, but were so amazing. I hate opera singers apt just because I find orbiting, although they do hAve some of the most astonishingly and amazingly beautiful voices, it's just not my genre of choice. Without callas being the first soprano to breakout of the norm of society, and create her ow even more amazing ...more.
It's Maria Callas, does anything else need to be said but, anyway easily the greatest female opera singer of all time. The love of her life wasn't another human but, opera music and when one listens to her singing you can instantaneously hear that love. She also, possessed a great ability to be able to sing the greatest love of her life and, in doing so provided the world with the greatest opera singer the world has ever seen. Marvellous Maria Callas, your legacy will live forever!
Decades after Callas's death and her legend lives on. Ask the person in the street to name a female opera singer and chances are the answer will be, "Maria Callas" - the same cannot be said for others on this list! Callas's interpretations may not always have been the most technically accurate, but her emotion, passion and soul shone through. And isn't that what art is all about? The ability to stir something inside you that cannot always be explained? It is rather like Monet's "smears" and "blobs". At face value they are not technically art, but when you look at the whole picture, it is beautiful... For me, Callas's vocal range was unsurpassed by others of her genre, which gave her the most amazing versatility. Plus she was a person who refused to conform to a mould, especially in a time when women tended to have less freedom than they enjoy now. Yes, she made mistakes, but Callas's honesty made her human and a beautiful person. And for all of these reasons, her legend lives on.
8th Wonder of the World.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
OK, NorthStar, you got me.

The opera singers you posted brought a tears to my eyes.

NOBODY else mentioned is anywhere near as good as they are.

Hew

Mar 21, 2014
Too many to pick any one. Currently, Dee Dee Bridgewater and Diane Schuur are in heavy rotation.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
OK, NorthStar, you got me.

The opera singers you posted brought a tears to my eyes.

NOBODY else mentioned is anywhere near as good as they are.
IYO. There is no clear "winner" on personal opinions or experiences with regards to one's favorite female singer Gary. ;)

Tom

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Joni

Recordsguy

Sep 6, 2015
I'd have to say, Mary Wells because her songs are so upbeat[written by Smokey]and her voice so cute and sexy.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Difficult to choose just one person.

There are those voices who will stop your thought once you hear them .. SOmetimes not even understanding a word or the language sung.
Ellis Regina was that.. One of the best singer the world has known. Just .. just unbelievable

One of her most accessible album is the Classic: Tom & Ellis ( Antonio Carlos "Tom" Jobim and Elis Regina) on Philips

81KznJkHuGL._SL1500_.jpg

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Mariah Carey is one of my favorite female singers. This song, "Without You", is one of my reference cuts when listening to something new.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I don't have an opinion on Opera singers as I rarely listen to it and don't have enough knowledge to make an informed selection. I can say the same for Jazz, but from what I have heard I do like Ella Fitzgerald. I just cannot get into Sarah Vaughan.

Since I listen mostly to rock, folk, pop, R&B/Soul my overall choice would be Sarah McLachlan.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing