• I have only vinyl in my system but also like digital

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
it is far from being dead. In Japan, they still account for about 85 percent of sales. Recently in Germany the figure was around 70 percent and in France it was 57 percent. Sweden is a country with very high streaming penetration - more than 90% of revenues are due to this form of distribution.

I expect for classical too it would still be a major seller. I know when our National FM classical music station plays new releases they never ever mention downloads - it is always the CD without exception. I actually can't think of any larger classical label off-hand that does not still produce CDs of every single recording it makes. And to me, even if I did have a streaming setup, I would still buy the CD for the physical package advantages (high quality printed liner notes and what is effectively an optical "hard copy" or "master" of the file that will end up on a hard drive).

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
It is a pity my disk from which I created the excerpt is not well centred so some wow is evident - one of the things I dislike about all analogue reproduction. Oddly enough sides 2 and 4 of the set are almost perfectly centred so wow isn't an issue, but sides 1 and 3 are not so good! (the excerpt was from side 3).
I find it strange that some standard device or add-on has not been created to solve that for an individual TT component - say, an insert, the concept being like that plastic add-on for pop 45's with the big hole; but highly refined, with the capability of being able to compensate for non perfect centering - I think Nakamichi did that for the TT itself at one stage ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
That poll; the music genre(s) we prefer can also swing that balance ever so slightly...like for classical music lovers for example...CDs...better dynamics and high frequencies articulation, plus the playing time. ...And the bass from organs...16Hz. ...Orchestral music has high, and low registers from that full audio spectrum. ...Subs are a very nice complement, in particular in larger rooms where impact is the classical music essence from 95 musicians on stage.

As opposed to jazz music lovers...LPs. ...And some pop/rock/folk/rhythm&blues music too. ...Full range speakers, without the need of a subwoofer or two. ...Bass @ 42Hz, piano @ 27Hz.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thank you, Steve, for amending the poll!

Yesterday I said I had to run, going to a concert. It was Mahler Symphony 9 with the Boston Symphony. Spectacular performance! Standing ovation afterwards.

I was there together with Madfloyd (Ian) who had invited me.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Highly subjective! Where are the measurements??

Getting there. Did you measure the decibel level of the applause?

Edit: ;) (Just in case there's any confusion!)

Yea, bring back the clapometer - otherwise, how can we know we've enjoyed the performance?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Yesterday I said I had to run, going to a concert. It was Mahler Symphony 9 with the Boston Symphony. Spectacular performance! Standing ovation afterwards.

I was there together with Madfloyd (Ian) who had invited me.

Al, I respectfully disagree. Your comments have little meaning in audio science. Your evaluation was sighted and you self graded your listening skills, making the above statement invalid. The fact that you may have even read the program highly biased your opinion of what you heard. Furthermore, what you think you heard was far removed from what was originally in Mahler's head as he imagined the composition. The mere act of translating his thoughts to two dimensional music notes on paper was a major corruption of the original idea with massive loss of information. Then, many years later, those notes were interpreted by the conductor, and again by the musicians during that particular performance further altering Mahler's original intent. Finally, the instruments' sounds that you heard were inexorably changed by that particular hall and the specific seat in which you were located.

What you heard was far removed from an exact copy of Mahler's original intent. The whole process was highly flawed from the moment he put pen to paper, the original recording process. That others seemed to agree with your subjective impressions by giving a standing ovation simply shows a massive subjective opinion, a shared personal preference, if you will, unverifiable, uncontrolled, and unrepeatable.

Oh, and one more thing: "spectacular" is a rather vague audio term. Could you perhaps use a more precise term with specific meaning in audio science? And please do not describe the sound as being "natural".

On the other hand, you could simple have enjoyed the experience, and been fully emotionally engaged being completely aware that what you heard was only an imperfect translation and interpretation of Mahler's original intent. And that seems to have been good enough.

Insert a string of emojis here.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Al, I respectfully disagree. Your comments have little meaning in audio science. Your evaluation was sighted and you self graded your listening skills, making the above statement invalid. The fact that you may have even read the program highly biased your opinion of what you heard. Furthermore, what you think you heard was far removed from what was originally in Mahler's head as he imagined the composition. The mere act of translating his thoughts to two dimensional music notes on paper was a major corruption of the original idea with massive loss of information. Then, many years later, those notes were interpreted by the conductor, and again by the musicians during that particular performance further altering Mahler's original intent. Finally, the instruments' sounds that you heard were inexorably changed by that particular hall and the specific seat in which you were located.

What you heard was far removed from an exact copy of Mahler's original intent. The whole process was highly flawed from the moment he put pen to paper, the original recording process. That others seemed to agree with your subjective impressions by giving a standing ovation simply shows a massive subjective opinion, a shared personal preference, if you will, unverifiable, uncontrolled, and unrepeatable.

Oh, and one more thing: "spectacular" is a rather vague audio term. Could you perhaps use a more precise term with specific meaning in audio science? And please do not describe the sound as being "natural".

On the other hand, you could simple have enjoyed the experience, and been fully emotionally engaged being completely aware that what you heard was only an imperfect translation and interpretation of Mahler's original intent. And that seems to have been good enough.

That's funny, Amir

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

Hehe. :) :D :eek:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Hilarious! Thanks for a great laugh to start the day!

But seriously, your comments contain a lot of things worthwile to ponder. Great post!

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
The poll is interesting, but for me incomplete. There is no data WRT cost so it's not an apples to apples comparison (e.g.: I like a $12K Martin Custom guitar more than a tinker toy piano). I'd wager that there is a direct relationship between the cost of the analog front ends and those that prefer analog but have both analog and digital. I'd wager the vast majority who have both spent more on the analog - it just costs more, in my experience.

I know some have said cost should not be included - let me give an example: Guy owns digital and analog. Guy first bought digital - a $1K DAC, uses laptop for home work and music, likes the sound. Guy decides to try analog, upon reading/recommendations buys $1K TT, $500 cart, $500 phono pre, $50 record puck, $50 TT mat and $100 rack for stabilization/isolation = $2.2K. Guy likes vinyl more than digital but has lots of downloads/ripped CDs so plays both (+ likes convenience of digital). Guy takes poll - votes for analog as "preferred" but has digital also. Vinyl setup is ~2x cost of digital. With WBF just add a few zeros to the cost..

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Your comments have little meaning in audio science.

Interesting observation but apparently criticized because he was expressing his emotional reaction to a live performance and, per Peter, is suspect because it is not based in "audio science".

I have no idea what that means.

Maybe someone can enlighten me as to how one can objectively quantify / determine the "quality" (poor, mediocre, spectacular, etc.) of a live performance based solely on audio science. :cool:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Interesting observation but apparently criticized because he was expressing his emotional reaction to a live performance and, per Peter, is suspect because it is not based in "audio science".

Maybe someone can enlighten me as to how one can objectively quantify / determine the "quality" (poor, mediocre, spectacular, etc.) of a live performance based solely on audio science. :cool:

Measure the SPL of applauses? :D

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

My entire post was in jest, thedudeabides, and it was a lot of fun to write and brought me some laughs early this morning.

I do think that the translation, interpretation and corruption of the original idea buried deep within the genius mind of the composer is far removed from what we eventually hear years later at a symphony performance in a concert hall. In this sense, I find it somewhat analogous to how far a reproduced performance in our listening rooms is from the original performance at the recording venue. All of those steps between change the original.

Subjective experiences of the final result though can bring great emotional involvement and joy.

I was just being puckish.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The poll is interesting, but for me incomplete. There is no data WRT cost so it's not an apples to apples comparison (e.g.: I like a $12K Martin Custom guitar more than a tinker toy piano). I'd wager that there is a direct relationship between the cost of the analog front ends and those that prefer analog but have both analog and digital. I'd wager the vast majority who have both spent more on the analog - it just costs more, in my experience.

I know some have said cost should not be included - let me give an example: Guy owns digital and analog. Guy first bought digital - a $1K DAC, uses laptop for home work and music, likes the sound. Guy decides to try analog, upon reading/recommendations buys $1K TT, $500 cart, $500 phono pre, $50 record puck, $50 TT mat and $100 rack for stabilization/isolation = $2.2K. Guy likes vinyl more than digital but has lots of downloads/ripped CDs so plays both (+ likes convenience of digital). Guy takes poll - votes for analog as "preferred" but has digital also. Vinyl setup is ~2x cost of digital. With WBF just add a few zeros to the cost..

For example, what is the price difference for our host's digital vs. LP front ends (not picking on you, Steve, I just happen to know there is a large difference in your case)?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
My entire post was in jest, thedudeabides, and it was a lot of fun to write and brought me some laughs early this morning.

I do think that the translation, interpretation and corruption of the original idea buried deep within the genius mind of the composer is far removed from what we eventually hear years later at a symphony performance in a concert hall. In this sense, I find it somewhat analogous to how far a reproduced performance in our listening rooms is from the original performance at the recording venue. All of those steps between change the original.

Subjective experiences of the final result though can bring great emotional involvement and joy.

I was just being puckish.

The things we do we say to preserve the love, the music in the formats we use. :b ...Unplugged.
There is more music in them grooves that a cartridge with a diamond stylus can pick up...

Last edited:

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
I do think that the translation, interpretation and corruption of the original idea buried deep within the genius mind of the composer is far removed from what we eventually hear years later at a symphony performance in a concert hall.

Well, no need to think it or even have an opinion - it's a fact! :) The violin and bow, for example, have evolved quite dramatically in 300 plus years and with it the sound. A violin in an orchestra of today sounds different than one from 50 years ago which in turn sounds different from 100 years ago, 200 years ago, etc. We think of loudness wars as being an audio engineering related thing - but it's been happening in orchestras and with individual instruments - particularly bowed instruments - for many years.

Just the actual string selections on modern bowed instruments today can provide more volume but (in my opinion) a less desirable and less malleable sound. It is also my opinion that the "colder" sound of modern recordings is not just a digital versus analogue thing or a simple Decca tree versus massive multi-miking thing. It is the actual sound modern instruments make. They just don't sound as pleasant. In the quest to become louder, quality and subtlety has been lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing