Entreq Coming for Testing/Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Wherever you post them the nature of your presentation will be important.
It needs to be transparent, objective and comprehensive including details of your system and any independent evidence on any correlation or not between the measurements and perceived sound quality

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
IMHO any measurement without a previous debate on how such device should be measured and what the person measuring it is aiming to is useless.

We can assume that this device pretends to works as a RF noise sink. As far as I know there are no standard ways of measuring it using audio measuring equipment.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
IMHO any measurement without a previous debate on how such device should be measured and what the person measuring it is aiming to is useless.

We can assume that this device pretends to works as a RF noise sink. As far as I know there are no standard ways of measuring it using audio measuring equipment.
Does this mean you are going to be professional which is my question, or prejudging the data already?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Does this mean you are going to be professional which is my question, or prejudging the data already?

none or very few will be professional, because we are hobbyists. we will be civil. but neither are tests rigorously scientific. they will be what they will be.

present your data, perspective and methods and those who care will dive in. those who don't care will abstain. let's not inflame the rhetoric before there is data to consider.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Amir, I would suggest that for any semblance of "professionalism" you need to take more care in what you use as a measurement device & the limitations & conclusions you draw.
For instance using a AEMC 565 device to measure current in the wire attached to the Entreq box.
This AEMC device is designed to measure currents in power cables (50/60Hz & it's harmonics up to 3Khz) - how can you declare this "Yes, nothing. This means if there is current flow to/from Entreq, it is below 10 millionth of an amp."

Do you expect mains current flowing to the Entreq?
What frequency range are you measuring for?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

We still do not know what data you will be collecting and the methodology used to test the apparatus. You have not shown any previous experience with similar devices. I do not even know what I will be able to prejudge!

However my prejudgment is that the performance of this device should be very dependent of location, system and user preferences. Unless you optimize its use, something you do not seem to want to do, as it involves listening, I do not expect any result worth to be considered.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We still do not know what data you will be collecting and the methodology used to test the apparatus. You have not shown any previous experience with similar devices. I do not even know what I will be able to prejudge!

However my prejudgment is that the performance of this device should be very dependent of location, system and user preferences. Unless you optimize its use, something you do not seem to want to do, as it involves listening, I do not expect any result worth to be considered.

He's posted data on his website.

The rest of the data IMO should be posted there as I have requested based on what has been posted there as well as what happened with the most recent Entreq thread here

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
You said it right Francisco: "However my prejudgment is that the performance of this device should be very dependent of location, system and user preferences."

And Amir is also right: This is the measurement section here, and if ten people aren't interested it don't matter; hundreds are.
When this section was started it was clear the intention: Peace and no war. ...That was the main reason.
What's wrong with having a peaceful section where we can discuss even if we agree?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

I didn't think I asked a hard question. Let me put it this way. When one of you says you lifted your speaker cables and sound became night and day different, I don't jump in and want to commit suicide over it. You all can discuss such a thing and I won't even engage in that discussion.

I am asking if measurements are presented, will you act in the same professional manner if you don't value it, or will you do as you are here which is fight it tooth and nail.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
He's posted data on his website.

The rest of the data IMO should be posted there as I have requested based on what has been posted there as well as what happened with the most recent Entreq thread here

Who do you think will be troublemakers and why would we want to allow them to censor data on behalf of others?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This is why you started your forum so measurements are best served over there. You can already see that no one is going to promise anything, It was for that reason I have asked twice now to post the results at your forum as I can see already the way this is going to go

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I didn't think I asked a hard question. Let me put it this way. When one of you says you lifted your speaker cables and sound became night and day different, I don't jump in and want to commit suicide over it. You all can discuss such a thing and I won't even engage in that discussion.

I am asking if measurements are presented, will you act in the same professional manner if you don't value it, or will you do as you are here which is fight it tooth and nail.

Cable lifts - hum, nice try to diverge the discussion!

Curiously you are the one "pre fighting" everyone here "tooth and nail" even before presenting the methodology of the measurements.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Christian and Francisco are right Amir; share your findings without asking or anticipating in advance. ...And cable lifters are off topic. :b ...There's another thread for that, but measurements on and of the floor would be cool.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
It all depends whether the measurements show anything relevant to the the perceived audio quality - there is a great deal yet to be done, in developing methods for measuring what our ear/brains are telling us, when we listen to audio systems. Luckily, a great deal of research and examination is currently happening about understanding how our minds react to what we hear - but it seems you won't read about this any time soon from organisations like AES; this is where the fields of psychoacoustics and neuroscience are romping far ahead, they realise that the brain is extremely astute in understanding the sound universe around it ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
"As you study our product lines you will see a commonality in approach and execution of the solutions. These solutions have been garnered over 16 years of not just theoretical analysis, application and understanding of materials and their inherent effects, but through new un-expected discoveries during the testing and the all important listening process. The years have truly taught us that the more you assume you understand the more you NEED to explore and stay open minded to solutions that simply have yet to be realised. Its a lot of small details that make it.
We have come to the conclusion that if you THINK you have complete understanding, you have already lost your way ! There is always more to learn & understand !"

Per-Olof Friberg, owner of Entreq

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing