New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Another coaching change......

The residue of another season of expectations not met continued to build in Minnesota, where Timberwolves coach Rick Adelman announced his retirement Monday morning.
Adelman, 67, exits via an option on the fourth year of his contract. The Wolves had targeted a .500 finish and a postseason berth as their goals this season and fell short of both; they posted a 40-42 record and missed the playoffs for the 10th consecutive spring.

“It’s time. It’s time for me to step aside,” Adelman said at a news conference, accompanied by Wolves president of basketball operations Flip Saunders. “I think when we came here, we really tried to see if we couldn’t turn things around. I think we made some strides … not as much as we would like.
“It’s time for someone else to come in.”

Adelman’s departure as coach — he will take on a consultant’s role with the organization – had been the subject of speculation for weeks, after it became apparent the Wolves would miss what would have been their first playoff berth since 2004. His wife Mary Kay‘s health issues — she began fighting a series of seizures last season, causing him to miss 11 games in 2012-13 – are ongoing, though the veteran coach said they did not lead to this decision.

“If anything, my wife is the one who pushed me. She said, ‘You need to continue doing this,’ ” Adelman said. “Certainly it had an impact but the whole organization has been so great.”
In his three seasons with the Wolves, they went 97-133 and failed to reach .500 all three years. It was the least successful stretch of his 23-year NBA coaching career, during which his teams in Portland, Golden State, Sacramento, Houston and Minnesota compiled a record of 1,042-749 (.582) with 16 postseason appearances. He ranks eighth all-time in NBA coaching victories, and with two trips to The Finals with the Blazers in 1990 and 1992, likely will be enshrined soon in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.
While Adelman heads off to his home in Portland without a championship ring, no one should think he didn’t put the work and the urgency into chasing one in Minnesota. Saunders spoke of the coach’s competitiveness.

“He comes across as very even-natured and you might not think he gets excited. But he’s got a burning passion to win,” Saunders said. “Being with him on a daily basis, you could see when we didn’t perform well that it really ate at him.”

Said Adelman: “It’s not that far away [in Minnesota]. Sometimes you want it to happen in a year, sometimes in two years. Sometimes it takes longer than that.
“I wish I could have done more, but I really enjoyed my time. … There’s some sadness but I also think, some relief.”

Saunders said he and owner Glen Taylor have “no timeline” for naming Adelman’s successor. Because this departure isn’t a complete surprise, names of possible replacements have been floated; Iowa State (and former Wolves guard) Fred Hoiberg; Michigan State coach Tom Izzo, a Saunders friend; current Washington assistant coach Sam Cassell, another former Minnesota player; oft-coveted Chicago Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau, based on alleged friction with the Bulls front office; and Saunders himself.
Prior to his return this season to Minnesota, Saunders had been the winningest coach in Wolves history — 411-326 from 1995-2005 — and later coached in Detroit and Washington, bumping his career mark to 638-526 (.548), with 11 playoff appearances.

The next Wolves coach, whoever it is, will face a top priority of featuring — and courting — All-Star forward Kevin Love, the team’s best player. Love, an MVP-caliber performer (25.9 points, 12.4 rebounds, 4.4 assists per game in 2013-14), can opt out of his contract after next season to become a free agent.

Interesting tidbit on Thibs Stevie. Melo reportedly asked a former Bull what it was like to play for Thibs. Could this mean the Knicks are eyeing Thibs?

Grizzlies threatening to steal a game. Mike Miller with a huge 3. He's still got it.

OT Steve. Incredible 4 point play by KD and Conley missed 2 FTs.

How bout Tony Allen bothering KD's shots. Still a great defender despite his size.

My bad Phil

Shows I can't multitask as I thought OKC won it at the buzzer but it was tied

no problem steve. excellent and thrilling game. memphis is playing tough. and boy, tony allen is denying kd from touching the ball.

I couldn't beiieve the three pointer that Durant threw in from the corner - incredible shot. Memphis deserved the win so glad they pulled in out in OT.

Clippers up by 26 at the half. Things are going their way tonight.

Warriors are getting frustrated. Hope they don't get nasty.

Wizards beat the Bulls to go up 2 - 0. Did not expect that. And the first 2 games were in Chicago.

I love to watch this kid Bradley Beal play. Wizards really are surprising.

I liked Beal at Fla. Relatively rare combo of great shooter and great athlete -- super-fluid too.

It's painful to watxh the Bulls try to score.

Hi

I don't like the way The Bulls and Pacers are playing. It looks like the Heat will , again :(, win the East and meet someone in the west for the Finals, looks a lot like the Spurs, it won't be the Clippers.

Hi

I don't like the way The Bulls and Pacers are playing. It looks like the Heat will , again :(, win the East and meet someone in the west for the Finals, looks a lot like the Spurs, it won't be the Clippers.

Yep, not much to like.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing