Transparency vs "Symphonic coloration" in modern DAC gear.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Mixing metaphors here. SD card is a transport and Mirus is a Dac. So are you saying the Mirus is not a reference for transparency when fed by other means? And would any old Dac be such a refence with a quality SD card feed???

The Mirus is a DAC with built in SD card transport.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Perhaps, but do you have $500K to shell out. For the record, to my ears the B7 destroys the Invicta or Mirus as a Dac and the GG will TOTAL destruction. LoL

Have you ever recorded a track in DSD 256 with the Merging Hapi or Horus via the GG analog outs and played it back via the Mirus SD card transport? You'll likely find you'll have a hard time distinguishing it from the GG playing back the same original track.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I want gear that gets me as close to what I want to hear. Whether is accurate to how it was mixed is almost irrelevant since I will never listen to the music through headphones or a pair monitors sitting a few feet in front of me.

I will say I prefer gear that is tilted towards accurate. That said when I A/B gear to see which goes into my system I just pick the one that gets me closer to what I am looking for.

Agreed - like any sensible person would imo!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I don't think we understand and/or can measure pleasant distortions well enough to reproduce them accurately. Assuming one even believes they exist... for example copper cables offer lots of pleasant distortion vs something neutral like UPOCC silver, but many would dispute such differences are real and measuring this may not be possible. Paper coned drivers can make acoustic instruments sound more real vs other materials that produce lower distortion, but this phenomenon is similarly difficult to define given our incomplete knowledge of audio.

The other issue with distortion is it reduces resolution by masking fine details, in a good system this is not a positive. In a system that has unpleasant distortion like harshness, grain, etc, pleasant distortion generally sounds better as it masks the unpleasant distortions. But you end up with a system that is much less resolving and thus less engaging. Given enough experience people generally prefer a more accurate and resolving system as long as it does not produce unpleasant distortion that leads to listening fatigue. So, IMO we should concentrate on eliminating unpleasant distortion rather than adding pleasant distortion as a band-aid.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Agreed - like any sensible person would imo!

Nobody agrees with that more than me. Which is why I believe in custom tayloring the sound to your exact taste in the digital domain.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Have you ever recorded a track in DSD 256 with the Merging Hapi or Horus via the GG analog outs and played it back via the Mirus SD card transport? You'll likely find you'll have a hard time distinguishing it from the GG playing back the same original track.

I don't see the point that you are making. You could say the same about any source including analogue. Record an Airforce 1 and Air Tight Magnum Opus into quad dsd - playback through your beloved and you have an airforce 1.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bill he doesn't believe in analog, according to him modern tech is better

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Nobody agrees with that more than me. Which is why I believe in custom tayloring the sound to your exact taste in the digital domain.

But herein lies the issue. Please provide a link to this state of the art digital filter that sounds exactly like the product that it is "copying" - I will test it on my oppo for you as my oppo has measurements that make it entirely transparent to within the specified criteria of the human ear (no need for merging stuff). I will order Kondo Ongaku with American Sound turntable sporting a Koetsu coral stone.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I don't think we understand and/or can measure pleasant distortions well enough to reproduce them accurately. Assuming one even believes they exist... for example copper cables offer lots of pleasant distortion vs something neutral like UPOCC silver, but many would dispute such differences are real and measuring this may not be possible. Paper coned drivers can make acoustic instruments sound more real vs other materials that produce lower distortion, but this phenomenon is similarly difficult to define given our incomplete knowledge of audio.

The other issue with distortion is it reduces resolution by masking fine details, in a good system this is not a positive. In a system that has unpleasant distortion like harshness, grain, etc, pleasant distortion generally sounds better as it masks the unpleasant distortions. But you end up with a system that is much less resolving and thus less engaging. Given enough experience people generally prefer a more accurate and resolving system as long as it does not produce unpleasant distortion that leads to listening fatigue. So, IMO we should concentrate on eliminating unpleasant distortion rather than adding pleasant distortion as a band-aid.

This is why I presented the challenge to Bruce B to try to reproduce the sound of the Lampizator GG by recording DSD256 with the Merging Horus connected to the GG outputs. If the Horus recording in DSD 256 is truly transparent like they say, played back though a truly transparent DAC, the sound should be indistinguishable from the GG.

This is the true test and Bruce is the only one I know of on this forum who has the gear to do it.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I don't see the point that you are making. You could say the same about any source including analogue. Record an Airforce 1 and Air Tight Magnum Opus into quad dsd - playback through your beloved and you have an airforce 1.

If the ADC, digital format,and DAC is completely transparent, this is correct.

It's also my exact point I've been trying to make.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
If the ADC, digital format,and DAC is completely transparent, this is correct.

It's also my exact point I've been trying to make.

Then what has it got to do with the Golden Gate. Just say that in your opinion professional grade analogue to digital converters are transparent. No more to be said. No relevance to any other topic other than that of recording.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
But herein lies the issue. Please provide a link to this state of the art digital filter that sounds exactly like the product that it is "copying" - I will test it on my oppo for you as my oppo has measurements that make it entirely transparent to within the specified criteria of the human ear (no need for merging stuff). I will order Kondo Ongaku with American Sound turntable sporting a Koetsu coral stone.

In order for this to work you need to have gear good enough for the task. I'm not talking about measurements here. But you'll usually find that these components measure very well.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Then what has it got to do with the Golden Gate. Just say that in your opinion professional grade analogue to digital converters are transparent. No more to be said. No relevance to any other topic other than that of recording.

Because Bruce has a Golden Gate DAC at his disposal. And it's a super popular DAC that adds color to enhance listening pleasure. Perfect candidate.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
In order for this to work you need to have gear good enough for the task. I'm not talking about measurements here. But you'll usually find that these components measure very well.

Why not do it with your Mirus?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
See above comment. It was Bonzo's discription discribing the type of coloration experienced from tube gear for instance.

Lol I said lampi sounds better on symphonies, provides more details, slam, speed, separation of 50 acoustic instruments for classical music, and their tone. You morphed this into the phrase 'symphonic coloration'

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Why not do it with your Mirus?

The Mirus wasn't designed to produce pleasant colorations to the sound. It's designed for transparency. So poor candidate. But good candidate for the playback end.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Lol I said lampi sounds better on symphonies, provides more details, slam, speed, separation of 50 acoustic instruments for classical music, and their tone. You morphed this into the phrase 'symphonic coloration'

View attachment 22964

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing