Rush 2112 and Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick, What do they have in common? Steve's AF1!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I got to listen to them on Steve's Air Force One with Graham arm and MC Anna cart! :):D

Stunning!

2112 is the album that started it all for me when I was a young lad High School. I sat there in awe getting the chills with the breath of fresh air this old 1976 recording was displaying in front of me.
I have never heard this black licorice sound so good. The sound stage was bigger than the room, you could pick out any one instrument/track and listen to it and it didn't get lost in the overall sound, even in the "congested" parts. You really "felt" the story much more dynamically! You could feel the voice, strings, cymbals and toms. "Attention all planets of the solar federation, attention all planets of the solar federation, we have assumed control, we have assumed control!

The layers and textures so beautifully laid out. Never did I think I would be able to pull out so much more enjoyment out that record, like I heard it for the first time.

Steve's response when I told him they were a trio, "That's only three guys"! Yes it was and yes they pull it off live and so much more. By their current standards, a very basic album, but the one that broke it open for them.

I have got to get Steve and Mike to listen to these guys, so much to hear with these guys. Steve looked at me like I was telling fibs about Geddy playing bass with one hand, keyboards with the other, operating foot pedals and singing all at the same time. I highly recommend watching their Clockwork Angels Blu-ray, they had a blast making this one. Or Live in Rio for a truly emotional event. Their first time ever in Rio and the response by the people there truly overwhelmed them and humbled them. I mean during YYZ the entire crowed sings the song, that has no lyrics, pretty crazy.Three guys for 40 years never calling on other musicians to help them out live. Untill Clockwork Angels tour and the Clockwork string section, my goodness they had so much fun on stage.

Next up Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick, another one of my favs. This one the Steve Wilson remix. Love Steve Wilson and just about everything he lays his hand on. This is no exception to be sure.

Talk about new life into a 70's recording! I thought I knew that one very well but I don't, I need to spin that one a few more times to grasp it all. There are SOOOOOO many layers to this one that I never even knew existed, once again able to identify and listen to each one at will. Steve's response after spinning that one "How many guys are in that band"? A lot Steve!

Once again with the combination of Mr. Steve Wilsons Re-mix and Mr. Steve Williams rig, I had no idea the possibilities and the new experience. Spine tingling!

I will say this about Steve's rig is that with recent adjustments the soundstage has gotten much bigger. And by bigger, I don't mean bigger than life, just life size. Neal Pearts drum kit alone is bigger than Steve's room, certainly wider. Being that the room is small the soundstage extendes past the boundaries of the room to the illusion of proper size, placement and position. Impressive!

The difference between this visit and last visit is last visit was all digital and this visit all analog and I asked him if he did anything to roll off the high end. He said no, but last time we listened to much newer higher quality recordings versus these two old crusty 70's remixed recordings.

The MC Anna is just an amazing bit of kit, incredible! I have heard it in two very different systems and it leaves my jaw hanging!

Last time I met Steve's son, this time I had the privilege of meeting the missus! Without a doubt Steve got the better end of that deal! They are like two teenagers together that just met, very nice to see in this day and age.

We finished off with some great audio conversation as usual and I motated by self the 50 miles back home.

I really wanted to spin 2112 a couple more times, WOW, just WOW!!!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
That's a very...inspiring post [strike]John[/strike] Mike. :cool:
...I'll never have a nice sounding rig like that for the rest of my life...very very unfortunately and very very fortunately for Doctor Steve.

I enjoyed reading though...it sounded like a professional audio article from Fortune magazine. :b

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I'd been looking for some comments on "thick as a brick" remastering but hadn't stumbled on any until your post. I remember that LP very fondly and in my wish list at Acoustic Sounds. My purchase pending some positive comments... So thanks for that!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I'd been looking for some comments on "thick as a brick" remastering but hadn't stumbled on any until your post. I remember that LP very fondly and in my wish list at Acoustic Sounds. My purchase pending some positive comments... So thanks for that!

Its hard for me to say what is what as I bought that on my way to Steve's place and cant tell you that what I was hearing was the remix, Steve's system or both, pretty sure the latter. I have no reference to the cd and original album I have as they are packed away.
I can tell you it is "sorted out" very well, such a complex mix.
My attention was drawn to the guitar work like never before as well as the keys.
Instead of it just being one big sound, you get the opportunity to hear it all, individually if you so choose.
I really like Steve Wilson and his approach to engineering music, be it 2 channel or multi channel. I have both formats of most of the Porcupine Tree albums.

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/

It is however a mid 70's recording so keep that in mind, worth every penny in my opinion.

I cant wait to get my system unpacked and spin the hell out of these two albums.

The resolution of Steve's system is amazing to be sure and a sound to behold!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
And I want to apologize to Steve and anyone else that I visit, when I am engaged in a session and enjoying the music, I don't toe tap and head bop like a lot of people I just sit there. I assure you what is going on inside my head is a whirlwind of activity that is probably best kept there.
I am continually blown away by these systems.

My wife always says that I need to let it the emotions out for others to enjoy.

I am however a avid air drummer and during 2112 it almost came out, been doing that one for many years. Even have sticks.
I just don't do it in front of people.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
HFG, that sounds like a lot of fun you had.
As much fun as when I interrupted a party in 1981 to put on "Tom Sawyer" at full pelt and was chased out of the room while Donna Summer was re established on the record player, LOL x 1000!!!
I've settled on a tt that is both highly neutral, but with no lack of warmth and tonality, and have Japanese vinyl pressings of 2112 and Thick..., and they sound totally stellar. In particular Neil Peart's drums on 2112 have an analog wetness and fullness that started to lose vitality from "Grace Under Pressure" onwards. Full-on analog superiority.
Extra layers to "Thick..." sounds totally amazing.
Were you playing original vinyl, or the 2015 Magee "2112"? In addition to the Steve Wilson "Thick..." ?

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
HFG, that sounds like a lot of fun you had.
As much fun as when I interrupted a party in 1981 to put on "Tom Sawyer" at full pelt and was chased out of the room while Donna Summer was re established on the record player, LOL x 1000!!!
I've settled on a tt that is both highly neutral, but with no lack of warmth and tonality, and have Japanese vinyl pressings of 2112 and Thick..., and they sound totally stellar. In particular Neil Peart's drums on 2112 have an analog wetness and fullness that started to lose vitality from "Grace Under Pressure" onwards. Full-on analog superiority.
Extra layers to "Thick..." sounds totally amazing.
Were you playing original vinyl, or the 2015 Magee "2112"? In addition to the Steve Wilson "Thick..." ?

That was my dilemma as I my original vinyl and cd's are boxed up for the upcoming move so I had no comparison of which to understand where all the magic was coming from.

Steve's system is magical all the time so most of it I am sure was coming from there! It will rat out bad recording/engineering/producing/formatting as we heard with Riders on The Storm in three formats. The tape and vinyl were stellar but the CD sounded like there was a board across the front of the room with small holes in it in which each performers sound was coming through. I don't blame that on the cd format, I blame it on the production values.

So not having the opportunity to play my original vinyl or cd on Steve's system to compare to the Magee/Wilson issues leaves unanswered questions I will only be able to answer when I get my kit back up and running. It would have been nice to compare versions.

I am sure Steve was cringing in the back of the room since he was unfamiliar with the recordings thinking his system was not sounding its best, but what he didn't realize is how DAMN GOOD those old recordings were actually sounding given all the variables in the time space continuum.

To note this was at levels causing the Lamms to warm the room up and the A/C to cycle.

Needless to say I was completely blown away by what I heard that day and Steve is always a great host and in it for so many of the same reasons I am. Always a great time visiting Steve.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing