Best concert blu rays to impress guests..

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Stanley Clark's bass solo on this disc is the best (MCH) recording of acoustic bass I am aware of (by a mile). I don't particulary care for a lot of the electrical stuff, but the acoustic recordings are to die for. Al diMeola solo is a far better recording of solo guitar than for example the Jim Reynolds / Dave Matthews disc, which is pretty good in its own right.

I thought I had some acoustic-set unplugged DVD's in my collection, but alas, I couldn't find any.

thanks for the heads-up, I'll be looking for this particular BR in my travels.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
because they don't play well on your Oracle? ;)

impressive collection JV.
Haha! And thanks! I tend to play them more in the Fall and Winter.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Stanley Clark's bass solo on this disc is the best (MCH) recording of acoustic bass I am aware of (by a mile). I don't particulary care for a lot of the electrical stuff, but the acoustic recordings are to die for. Al diMeola solo is a far better recording of solo guitar than for example the Jim Reynolds / Dave Matthews disc, which is pretty good in its own right.
The AQ/PQ is stunning. The concert itself is a bit too drawn out for my liking and I lose interest after a while.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Return to forever - Live in Montreux[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but I also was personal witness to this concert tour at Universal Amphitheater in Ca. With out a doubt if not the best sounding concert I have ever been to, its in the top three.

What a performance.

Last time you will see those four together again. Al will not perform with them again.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Return to forever - Live in Montreux

Agreed, but I also was personal witness to this concert tour at Universal Amphitheater in Ca. With out a doubt if not the best sounding concert I have ever been to, its in the top three.

What a performance.

Last time you will see those four together again. Al will not perform with them again.[/QUOTE]

I saw them in Atlanta.

Also get the "rite of strings - live in montreux". Only on DVD, and not as good sonically, but the material is phenomenal.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
What a great pic! Snow gone yet? :p

thx, snapped by a lowly Samsung S3. not long after this shot, playing / losing to said mutt, phone was subsequently snow/water damaged. I blamed the barker, but he simply looked away ...

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Return to forever - Live in Montreux

What a performance.

Last time you will see those four together again. Al will not perform with them again.[/QUOTE]

We saw them here in Indy last year and Frank Gambale was with them on guitar who I much prefer to DiMeola. I must admit however I'm not a fan of long, drawn out bass solos regardless of who's playing..

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Jeff Beck, Return to Forever, Blue Man Group, Chris Botti in Boston (Steven Tyler of Aerosmith sings a song in tribute to his father in the audience: great!), and the Porcupine Tree discs are all excellent.

Lee

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Thanks for the replies. There goes my checking acct balance...

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The BluRay for the movie Burlesque has some pretty impressive tracks.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Jeff Beck, Return to Forever, Blue Man Group, Chris Botti in Boston (Steven Tyler of Aerosmith sings a song in tribute to his father in the audience: great!), and the Porcupine Tree discs are all excellent.

Lee

I second the porcupine tree recording. Foo fighters and Coldplay live are also very good.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Claudio Abbado with Lucerne Festival Orchestra, Mahler 5

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
IMHO, the better Jeff Beck Blu-ray is the Rock and Roll Party Honoring Les Paul. IT was recorded at The Iridium in NYC and has stellar sonics and video.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
One of my favorite concerts unfortunately is not available in Blu-ray. It is a collection of recordings of Public broadcasting "Sessions at West 54th." Specifically, The Best of Sessions at West 54th, Vol. 1. It has very well recorded stereo and multi-channel soundtracks. http://www.amazon.com/dp/1573300799...TF8&colid=2XZ867T4I6JRL&coliid=I27ZKX1D0N53JR

It is one of those surround mixes that I really like. It provides gobs of ambiance without any gimmicks. You can do an AB comparison between the stereo and multi-channel. The surround channel wins out in balance by a mile as far as overall experience in my view.

The video is typical of made for TV shot of the era with 4:3 aspect ratio and of course, standard definition.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

dim the lights & crank up the volume on this one

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing