What is your ONE go to song that you depend on to help set your system right.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
That ONE old dependable, never fails you, helps balance your world song/track that reassures you all is good in the universe.

And why is it so?

For me it is Steely Dan, tittle track AJA.

What say you;)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
That ONE old dependable, never fails you, helps balance your world song/track that reassures you all is good in the universe.

And why is it so?

For me it is Steely Dan, tittle track AJA.

What say you;)

I have 5, in this order. one is not sufficient. but I only need 30-45 seconds of each. so under 10 minutes will tell me what I need to know.

1-Keith Don't Go, Acoustic Live, Nils Lofgren, -redbook--need live holographic guitar, leading edge speed and naturalness with precision.
2-Mariengesange, Musica Antiqua, Koln, Sophie von Otter, redbook--mid-range vocals
3-Ardon gli incense, Sempre Libera, Anna Netrebko, SACD--clarity and open high frequencies, lack of distortion with glass harmonica
4-Mephisto Waltz #1, Nojima Plays Listz, Lp--real full bodied concert grand piano....micro dynamics and speed in the mid-bass. tonal fire and vibrancy. precision and definition in the hammer strike....then nice extended decay.
5-Scherazade, Reiner, disc 2, 45rpm Lp.--scale, space, dynamics, pace, flow and hall presence. definition in the strings, and coherence in the various music parts at musical peaks.
-
-
-
6.-Gaia, Hourglass, James Taylor, SACD. at approx. 3:10 min mark--bass articulation, slam, extension and decay without overhang. should be localized and move properly across in the soundstage.

sorry, the 6th one is also important.

each recording has a low noise floor and top level dynamic range. so these issues are significant as I listen. have dynamic contrasts increased? blacker blacks? more delicate detail?

each of these are at least 6-7 year reference cuts and some are 15+ year reference cuts.

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Not much into Opera but Anna has a unique voice and is easy on the eyes! :D

Could you provide some catalogue numbers, I wish to look into these further. I found what I could on you tube.

Loved the Nojima, always liked Reiner but I don't have that one.....yet!

Well done.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Patricia Barber Post Modern Blues on the Mofi SACD Modern Cool.
The instrumental separation, dynamics, bass and the piano cutting in after 90 seconds.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have 5, in this order. one is not sufficient. but I only need 30-45 seconds of each. so under 10 minutes will tell me what I need to know.

1-Keith Don't Go, Acoustic Live, Nils Lofgren, -redbook--need live holographic guitar, leading edge speed and naturalness with precision.
2-Mariengesange, Musica Antiqua, Koln, Sophie von Otter, redbook--mid-range vocals
3-Ardon gli incense, Sempre Libera, Anna Netrebko, SACD--clarity and open high frequencies, lack of distortion with glass harmonica
4-Mephisto Waltz #1, Nojima Plays Listz, Lp--real full bodied concert grand piano....micro dynamics and speed in the mid-bass. tonal fire and vibrancy. precision and definition in the hammer strike....then nice extended decay.
5-Scherazade, Reiner, disc 2, 45rpm Lp.--scale, space, dynamics, pace, flow and hall presence. definition in the strings, and coherence in the various music parts at musical peaks.
-
-
-
6.-Gaia, Hourglass, James Taylor, SACD. at approx. 3:10 min mark--bass articulation, slam, extension and decay without overhang. should be localized and move properly across in the soundstage.

each recording has a low noise floor and top level dynamic range. so these issues are significant as I listen. have dynamic contrasts increased? blacker blacks? more delicate detail?

each of these are at least 6-7 year reference cuts and some are 15+ year reference cuts.

I love the Sceheharazade Reiner myself. The Reference Recordings recording quality is better but the Reiner just does it for me, and I use the second movement for multiple things but mostly brass. The brass changes so much on speaker to speaker, my favorite reproduction being on Tune Audio Anima. I watched Scheherazade live earlier this month (spiritofmusic was there too), and once late last year at Barbican.

I also use Bach Cantatas, the choral and opera does a lot for vocals and soundstage and separation.

Altanpsx

Sep 10, 2014
Chuck Mangione Childeren of Sanchez (lp)

It has vocals, it has trompet, it has drums, it has guitar, it has vocal, it has trombone, it has ...

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Anouar Brahem "The Lover of Beirut", from album "Astounding Eyes of Rita" (for decay, timbre overall musicality)
Rachell Ferrell "Extensions" from album "First Instrument" (for female vocal emotional connection)
Stanley Clark Trio "Sicilian Blue" from album "Jazz in the Garden" (for low level energy, mid bass accuracy and cymbals naturalness)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Do you listen to the selections you posted before every session?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
No, just to assess impact of a system change or just see how systems compare - I have to those tracks burned in my brain. I'll take a copy of those tracks burned to CD ROM and proably on a flash drive to Axpona, so I can listen on a few system.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Ah! I kinda thought so, but wanted to be sure. Thanks!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

1-Keith Don't Go, Acoustic Live, Nils Lofgren, -redbook (Demon Records, FIENDCD 934) and various demo compilations--need live holographic guitar, leading edge speed and naturalness with precision.
2-Mariengesange, Musica Antiqua, Koln, Sophie von Otter, redbook (Archiv 439 866-2, and track #12 Burmester II)--mid-range vocals
3-Ardon gli incense, Sempre Libera, Anna Netrebko, SACD (DG 00289 474 8812)--clarity and open high frequencies, lack of distortion with glass harmonica
4-Mephisto Waltz #1, Nojima Plays Listz, Lp (RR-25)--real full bodied concert grand piano....micro dynamics and speed in the mid-bass. tonal fire and vibrancy. precision and definition in the hammer strike....then nice extended decay.
5-Scherazade, Reiner, disc 2, 45rpm Lp.(Classic Records Reissue, LSC-2446)--scale, space, dynamics, pace, flow and hall presence. definition in the strings, and coherence in the various music parts at musical peaks.
-
-
-
6.-Gaia, Hourglass, James Taylor, SACD (Columbia CS 67912). at approx. 3:10 min mark--bass articulation, slam, extension and decay without overhang. should be localized and move properly across in the soundstage.

I added catalogue numbers.

enjoy.

a caution, the Nojima will likely cost you if you can find one. the original CD is very good but not close to the Lp. and this Lp is sourced from the analog tape. I also have the Tape Project 15ips, 1/4". the Lofgren is also scarce, but it's on lots of folks demo compilations. finding the Burmester II original disc for the Sophie von Otter is hard, I have a couple since it was put out in 1998. there are lots of copies of it out there. likely easier to find the original source CD. the Anna and James Taylor SACD's are both out of print. the Scharazade Classic 4-disc 45rpm might also be hard but there plenty of 33rpm reissues around. I've not heard the more recent AP 33 reissue but it's likely very good. I do really like the Classic 45. it's been a reference since I got it in 1997.

these are all old friends that have always delivered for me.

I have all these on my server too, the Lps burned to 2xdsd. but I typically use the originals for my system checks.....but not always. the server is just so easy.

happy hunting.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Chuck Mangione Childeren of Sanchez (lp)

It has vocals, it has trompet, it has drums, it has guitar, it has vocal, it has trombone, it has ...
I picked up a mint copy of this 2 years ago at a thrift shop. Paid $1. :cool:

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes indeed! There were three that I would always use as a reference;

1. Diana Krall Love Scenes on SACD and both standard
2. Casandra Wilson New Moon Daughter on Standard format
3. Fourplay Between The Sheets on standard format

Now after going LP bonkers, it is still those three on certain occasions but now it is just one:
Patricia Barber Plays the Cole Porter Mix on a limited edition Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab 200g LP, simply stunning recording!
This was gifted to me by my pops and it was probably the most expensive recording of music that I have, $200 just for the LP, it is something to experience. I really don't have anything that comes close to it so far...

Cheers, RJ

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
With all due respect, the one that you can't stand to listen to and enjoy anymore because you've heard it too many times. :)

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
One song...
Extreeme, rest in pease, from the album III sides to every story.

Will show me almost everything I need. The boy shouting "In the bomb" should come from behind you to the right.

The song also show off trouble in the 500hz-1000hz region. And also the midbass down to the 50hz region.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
One track not enough.

:cool:

I'll stick to optical disc, mostly, for reliable results everytime.
And it must be said - they must be first pressing of that recording.

And also, it must be a 1st track on the optical disc (because of the dreaded jerome syndrome)

1. Pet Shop Boys [Discography] - West End Girls
The repetitive bass/drum line will help to determine optimal placement of speakers against troublesome room acoustics.

2. Priscilla Chan [Forever your friend] - ????
- The vocal sibilance will help to determine how much speaker toe-in is required.
- Also the ceiling-high soundstaging due to the judicious use of studio reverbs will help other essential setup practices like determining all manner of cable directionality, determining correct AC polarity, checking for undue stress/tension on cable's, and determining how much spacing must be necessary between components to avoid deleterious electromagnetic interferences.
- Very useful track to demonstrate the audibility of the dreaded jerome syndrome.

3. Rosemary Clooney [Sings Ballards] - Thanks for the memory
Useful to help check overall tonality, timbral correctness, and weaknesses in imaging delineation.

4. Don Henley [promo cd single] - New York Minute
Helps to demonstrate the audibility (necessity) of time&phase aligned speaker designs.

5. Dire Straits [Brothers in arms] - So Far Away
- the repetitive, multi-layerd baseline can very easily help determine high frequency cut-off point for sub-woofers to integrate seamlessly with any main speakers.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I am with Jerome Lang on this ... One song is not enough. I don't listen to one type of music...

Some Goto but these changes continuously:

Thee Aforementioned Nojima plays List. Music is OK to good. Recording is exceptional
Reference Recording Berlioz Symphony Fantastique. Exceptional Recording decent Performance.
Sinatra and Basie at the Sands.
Alan Hovhaness: Mount Helen Symphony conducted bT Schawrz on Delos
Mahler 6 and 9th from Solti's Mahler, the Symphonies. An aural extravaganza and very good performance IMHO
Pat Metheny: Letter from Home.
Joshua Judges Ruth, Lyle Lovett

oops you asked for one song .. Sorry :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman. UK solid pink Island label. Father and Son cut. If this sounds bad in my system, something is wrong with it. Last time the culpit was a whole set of peanut tubes in my line pre amp. Changed them, the cut sounded fabulous again.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing