Parasound JC3 and Zesto Andros 1.2 phono preamps

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Comparing the Parasound JC3 and Zesto Andros 1.2 phono preamps.

zesto_parasound.jpg

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
First up is the Parasound JC3. I really like this pre. The high end has great detail, air and separation. It has the crispness that I like with my horns. The midrange is smooth and full with a nice bottom end. Not to tight, yet not to flabby. The upright bass on Tsuyoshi Yamanoto's Midnight Sugar just snaps, the snare sizzles with the brushes and Tsuyoshi's piano notes hang on air.

ParasoundJC3.jpg

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
i love the look of the andros!
so beautifully retro.
i like how you have both pre's on equal platforms. great way to compare.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Now the Zesto Andros 1.2 in the mix. This first thing I noticed is the gain isn't has high. I had to turn the volume up on my linestage. As has been my expience with tubes versus solid state, the tubes have take the edge off the top end. The highs are still there but a tad smoother. This may also explain what seems to be more mid bass and bottom end. I don't know if the pre has increase this or that it is just the perception of more bass because the high end isn't as pronounced. Still the Zesto is a fantastic phono pre. The music has great separation, imaging and depth. If your system is overly bright, this would really help to tame it. Now I am not saying there is less high end. The harshness or edginess found on some recordings in the upper registers has that edginess smoothed. This is more noticeable on bright tweeters but paired very well with my horns.

ZestoAndros.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing