Gryphon Audio - Audiophile Experiences

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
One my friend in italy had Colosseum mono and change with Mephisto mono and found same difference you found in stereo because he tried together in his system before to buy.
he has Pandora.Great amp.

I saw you have Bergmann Sleipner,i have Sindre and i think are among the best turntable in the world.
Have you listen Sleipner compared to Sindre and you know the difference?
Thanks
Gianluigi

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
One my friend in italy had Colosseum mono and change with Mephisto mono and found same difference you found in stereo because he tried together in his system before to buy.

I saw you have Bergmann Sleipner,i have Sindre and i think are among the best turntable in the world.
Thanks
Gianluigi

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Lloyd,

Thank you!!!! I had the opportunity to hear the Mephisto in two different systems, that being one of them could make a direct comparison with the Colosseum, the result was very impressive.

First, I would like to say that the Colosseum is one of the best amplifiers I've ever heard, I could even stay with him for much longer, I was very happy while I was in my system. But when we put the Mephisto to work, even with a few hours he already showed well superior the Colosseum. The Mephisto has more refinement, naturalness, dynamic and attack surprising, an impressive ability to control the loudspeakers, the system seems to play much more easily even though a complex passage.

No doubt it has been the most rewarding experience, because it's not easy to join the Mephisto and the Colosseum in the same system to test them. One of the systems was composed of Kalliope, Bergmann Magne with Transfiguration Proteus and Legato Legacy SA, Mirage preamp, Colosseum / Mephisto and Gryphon Atlantis loudspeakers; the other system was composed of Mikado Signature, a preamp by Bellia (handmade in Brazil, the quality is superior to Mirage and seems to be close to Pandora), Mephisto and Anthony Gallo 5LS.

I don't had time to assemble the rest of the system, but as soon as I leave everything ready here I spend my impressions on my own system, also put more photos.

Nice regards,
Ricardo.

Hi, how did you like the Anthony Gallo? Also, was classical a big part of the audition music played? Thanks

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012

Thanks
Gianluigi

Hi Gianluigi,

in my opinion the sets Mirage + Colosseum and Pandora + Mephisto are very transparent, very organic, has enough speed to play very complex passages with ease that has many instruments playing at the same time and require much of the amplification.

I didn't had the opportunity to hear the Sindre, but heard Magne who is the younger brother of Sindre and Sleipner.

Best regards,
Ricardo.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Hi, how did you like the Anthony Gallo? Also, was classical a big part of the audition music played? Thanks

Hi bonzo75,

I was surprised by 5LS, because the other times I heard these speakers they played differently than played with Mephisto and the preamp handmade here in Brazil. The Anthony Gallo 5LS proved completely, with low frequencies very accurate and fast, the high frequencies is crystal and with a good length, very neutral, with a soundstage to envy, three-dimensional and very air between the musicians and between instruments.

The musical event materialized in the listening room with great naturalness and organicity, it was possible to distinguish all voices of a choir, as well as the layers and unsuited instruments.

We used various musical styles, in all cases the box proved to be ruthless, not choosing music genre, playing all styles flawlessly.

I'm sure Anthony Gallo 5LS worth every penny asked for it.

Best regards,
Ricardo.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd,

Thank you!!!! I had the opportunity to hear the Mephisto in two different systems, that being one of them could make a direct comparison with the Colosseum, the result was very impressive.

First, I would like to say that the Colosseum is one of the best amplifiers I've ever heard, I could even stay with him for much longer, I was very happy while I was in my system. But when we put the Mephisto to work, even with a few hours he already showed well superior the Colosseum. The Mephisto has more refinement, naturalness, dynamic and attack surprising, an impressive ability to control the loudspeakers, the system seems to play much more easily even though a complex passage.

No doubt it has been the most rewarding experience, because it's not easy to join the Mephisto and the Colosseum in the same system to test them. One of the systems was composed of Kalliope, Bergmann Magne with Transfiguration Proteus and Legato Legacy SA, Mirage preamp, Colosseum / Mephisto and Gryphon Atlantis loudspeakers; the other system was composed of Mikado Signature, a preamp by Bellia (handmade in Brazil, the quality is superior to Mirage and seems to be close to Pandora), Mephisto and Anthony Gallo 5LS.

I don't had time to assemble the rest of the system, but as soon as I leave everything ready here I spend my impressions on my own system, also put more photos.

Nice regards,
Ricardo.

Fantastic 'listening notes!' thanks and could absolutely believe it. Enjoy.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Lloyd,

the tests were so impressive that two people who were present decided to go in this direction and now are replacing the Colosseum by Mephisto.

If you have the opportunity to hear the Mephisto don't miss the chance, it's a very nice experience for us that we're already accustomed to the Colosseum.

Best regards,
Ricardo.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd,

the tests were so impressive that two people who were present decided to go in this direction and now are replacing the Colosseum by Mephisto.

If you have the opportunity to hear the Mephisto don't miss the chance, it's a very nice experience for us that we're already accustomed to the Colosseum.

Best regards,
Ricardo.

I have no doubt!! and will keep that in mind for the future.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Directly from Munich High End Show 2016:

SGH_1530mm.jpg

SGH_1535mm.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am told that this new 4-tower speaker replaces the Pendragon as its new flagship. Is this true? For Gryphon that is quite quick...and it almost looks like return to the design of the Poseiden which preceded the Pendragon.

What is the background to this change with the Pendragon being only a few years old?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Gryphon is not replacing the Pendragon with the Kodo,
Kodo is a new higher level .

Trueblue,

Thank you for making that clarification. I look forward to reading more about it. 4-Tower speakers designed by one group have always intrigued me.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Directly from Munich High End Show 2016:

Love those Duelund resistors in the back!

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
About the new Kodo, from Mono And Stereo:

"Gryphon Audio is introducing the all new ultimate flagship Kodo speaker system.

This is another milestone in the history of the iconic high end audio company from Denmark. As a part of the buying package Kodo system is coming with special premium customer service. After three months from installation Gryphon representative will personally visit the owner and recheck the if the system is performing on the proper level.

But that's not all. Every three months the new owner will receive a new exclusive collectors item CD for two years special musical recordings produced by the Gryphon. Those CDs will not be available for sale.

Any Kodo owner will be also entitled to a special discount for the electronic at the time of purchase.

This are the Gryphon’s biggest speakers and Kodo names reflects clearly the massiveness and delicacy of the legendary Japanese traditional drum.

Tweeter and mid driver tower comes as modular system consisting of three modules.

Kodo cabinets are made from MDF covered by the aluminum side panels any buyer can order any colour combination.

Bass towers are powered by the 1000 watts dedicated power amplifier and volume can be set by the remote. Bass towers can go down to impressive 6hz.

With sensitivity of 96db Kodo’s can be driven by even by low powered amplifier."

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Yesterday i listen Kodo in Munich together with italian distributor.
Was a short presentation for the distributors from 17.50 till 18.20.
After a 15 minutes of presentation we had a short listening of 6/7 song of 2 minutes each.
The system was Mikado transport and Kalliope DAC,Pandora and Mephisto stereo.In Italy price about 220.000 euro plus VAT ( in Italy is 22% )
First song Jeff back,very impressive,low was very fast,could be too much,sure for the small room,natural sound,voice natural and right dimension and depth.
Fantastic sound,but when i listen later Silbatone room with Western Electric the sound was much natural and true

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I saw new Mojo in Munich and i asked about new Mojo but they told me is exactly the same and change absolutly anything.
Only the external look change

Regards
Gianluigi

trueblue

Jan 23, 2013
Gianluigi , Then you got misinformed. The cabinet is a much heavier construction with much more damping. The x-over is a redesign updated with new Duelund components and mechanical suspension... The stand is a new very heavy design and is integrated with the speaker enclosure. The Wings are replaceable and can be customized in any color.
Only thing that is unchanged, is the choice of drivers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing