Vitus Master Stereo MP-S 201 ... Munich 2014 Debut

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Audioblazer - Have you spoken with 'Mihalis'? Last time he and I spoke, he was using the Vitus Masterpiece series (pre and amp) with Marten Supreme 2s.

View attachment 16999
View attachment 17000
View attachment 17001

About a month ago I have the privilege to audition 3 Vitus products. I was particularly interested to try out Vitus Masterpiece Phono. We started by inserting Vitus MPS . At 125kg its really tough to carry the giant 1 floor up to my dedicated audio room. After a few songs I started some serious listening . I was blown away to state it mildly . Try listening to Nneena Freelon Live album . Such emotional rendition of Tears of the clown. When Nneena is singing at the centre , try listening to the bass below her. I have never heard the low bass sounded so so good . Try it . Another song I love to listen to is Era -The Mass , Don't you forget . It begins with 2 persons having a conversation . With Vitus , the accent is so clearly pronounced ( I was told Irish accent ) . Mind u , I didn't managed to optimise the set up since I needed to connect my Goebel PC ( another must buy if you love propulsive bass ) to a furutech distributor due to length issue . It would be too much hassle to move my 107kg Gryphon Mephisto .
Next I added the phono Vitus MPP played thru Axiom tonearm mated with Ikeda Kai & AFO, My system went up another level . 2 of my audio buddies have been asking to visit my system for quite sometimes . With the best SQ I ever had in my set up , I promptly invited my buddies for a 3 straight hrs session . At the end of the session , my friend Ariff ( not into super duper high end but a veteran audiophile ) told me " Buy the Amp" . That's how good he felt was the amp. Alas, the entry ticket is pretty pretty high..... Thinking , thinking & thinking ... We listened to the syst using Vitus Signature preamp. Imagine if its a Vitus Masterpiece pre or audio note M10 signature or FM 268c - salivating
Whether it's Class A, AB or Z , who cares so long it sound good & it sounded damn good . Hearing is believing

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Jazz head , 4 harmonizer & some magic diamond & stone all over the room.
Xv-1, 1 of the biggest improvement in my syst is when I placed Ultra 5 in place of the original footers or Harmonix footers I used previously . I thk that is where we should put our $$$ for the biggest bang
Lloyd , at more than double Mephisto Stereo price it's is expected to be much better . So no contest . Wonder how Solo will perform against MPS. Now that is my dilemma

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Lloyd , speak to Mihalis aka Michael about what ? He is still using supreme 1. I have never seen a nicer house or bigger audio room that Mihalis room. 4 pieces of Mcintosh top speakers for surround duty & 2 pieces of the biggest , baddest Gotham for sub duty

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Jazz head , 4 harmonizer & some magic diamond & stone all over the room.
Xv-1, 1 of the biggest improvement in my syst is when I placed Ultra 5 I place of the original footers or Harmonix footers I used previously .
Lloyd , at more than double Mephisto Stereo price it's is expected to be much better . So no contest . Wonder how Solo will perform against MPS. Now that is my dilemma

As absolutely nuts as this is going to sound...I find today that Gryphon offers incredible value for performance. They were exceedingly expensive 5 years ago...but also fantastically good too. Today, there is a lot of stuff in the Gryphon price range (where I still personally prefer Gryphon by quite a long shot.)

I do wonder if Mephisto monos are that different from dual mono (ie, stereo version). I recall someone said Colosseum monos are not that different in characterstics from Colosseum stereo...but the Antileon monos are VERY different from Antileon stereo.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I m also pondering that Q . Would it be better with a pair of Mephisto stereo or Mephisto Mono. As for now MPS is the best amp I heard in my room

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Audioblazer , what effect on SQ does the Stein have ? I see that you dabble in grounding as well !

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I m also pondering that Q . Would it be better with a pair of Mephisto stereo or Mephisto Mono. As for now MPS is the best amp I heard in my room
Is it Han or Tan who handles Gryphon in Malaysia? It has been a little while, but he was extremely helpful when I had questions on Gryphon last year. Can he get you a pair of Mephisto Monos to audition?

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
TK Han , Rave audio . Maybe I can . Should I consider Mephisto Solo or 2 stereo Mephisto . Wonder what is the difference

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
Perhaps might be better under Still points thread!

But the fact that still points have such a positive effect on very expensive gear needs to be questioned IMO.

hi xv-1! ;)

i have some stillpoints ss - they seem to work great in my 2nd system with wooden shelving, but not so well in my main system with glass shelving.
they remain in my 2nd system. could be either the shelf material synergy, or the mid-end gear housed there...?

back on topic:

to the man contemplating 2 x stereo mephisto or 2 x mono mephisto: why bridge channels when you can go mono channels in a mono chassis?
monoblocks all the way!

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Audioblazer , what effect on SQ does the Stein have ? I see that you dabble in grounding as well !

Jazz head , honestly can't remember effect but its noticeable . Stein Holger was in Malaysia 3 years ago. Demoed at my friend place . U will be surprise the effect of stein+ sticker stick to the transport CD tray . We even sticked it to the ELCB . Effect is subtle at that position . I stick it all over , behind IEC, below tweeter . It's the most expensive tweak per its weight. Retailing ard euro60-70. Try it if only u can get it at a good price . Danon used 20-30 pieces. I like the LP conditioner the most . However nothing is as dramatic as the stillpoint ultra 5 for speakers & Tripoint grounding

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
TK Han , Rave audio . Maybe I can . Should I consider Mephisto Solo or 2 stereo Mephisto . Wonder what is the difference

Ask TK Han and also ask Focal and Gryphon? I would be curious to know what they say.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Rhapsody Music and Cinema, Manhattan is proud to announce that we are now a Vitus dealer. We have a MP-I201 being built now and will be arriving to our Manhattan showroom in late November. We will have several more Vitus pieces coming in over the next few months as well.

The BIG integrated will be driving the new Magico S7's, Kaiser Classic Kaweros and Raidho D3's. All of course are invited to give us a call and come in for a listen.

Hans Ole Vitus will be visiting us in a few months for a weekend open house, dates forthcoming.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Rhapsody Music and Cinema, Manhattan is proud to announce that we are now a Vitus dealer. We have a MP-I201 being built now and will be arriving to our Manhattan showroom in late November. We will have several more Vitus pieces coming in over the next few months as well.

The BIG integrated will be driving the new Magico S7's, Kaiser Classic Kaweros and Raidho D3's. All of course are invited to give us a call and come in for a listen.

Hans Ole Vitus will be visiting us in a few months for a weekend open house, dates forthcoming.

Congrats! Big news regarding a big amp! Separately, would really appreciate it (if you can given that you are a professional dealer)...if you could share some 'listening notes' about the Kaisers. I have heard the Magico Q1, 3, 5 and S1, 3, 5 and the Raidho.

Extremely intrigued about the Kaiser speaker though...thanks for any guidance about their particular 'character'. Particularly the Classics which i believe are their reference (other than the Classic with the massive external crossover).

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Congrats! Big news regarding a big amp! Separately, would really appreciate it (if you can given that you are a professional dealer)...if you could share some 'listening notes' about the Kaisers. I have heard the Magico Q1, 3, 5 and S1, 3, 5 and the Raidho.

Extremely intrigued about the Kaiser speaker though...thanks for any guidance about their particular 'character'. Particularly the Classics which i believe are their reference (other than the Classic with the massive external crossover).

Hi, It's interesting, I usually feel that Raidho and Magico are on opposite ends of the spectrum. If someone loves the Magico sound they probably are not a Raidho person and vice versa. If someone is familiar with Magico then I usually say that the Kaisers are more like a Magico, with a bit of warmth. Not quite the resolution of the Magico and not the scale that say a Q 7 or even S7 might have, but a lot of that is room size dependent as well. The Kaisers are a very engaging speaker.

One nice thing about the Kaisers is they are about 92db efficient and don't drop low in impedance, so you can drive them with in my case, the Kondo Kaguras and the Absolare SET's or PPs' where as the Magico's and the Raidhos sound ok on small power, room dependencies taken into account, but both the Magicos and Raidos are very amplifier dependent to get the best out of them. The Kaisers sound pretty good with whatever amp you connect up with them.

Come visit and hear for yourself. You are always welcome just to come in for a listen. I just turned the S7's on for the first time two hours ago and had two visitors that listened for a an hour, with an hour on new speakers and were literally blown away. The S7's I think are the real deal. Can't wait to hear the big Vitus on them:)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great stuff...thank you for that. And based on the stated goals and tastes of the few people whose comments i have read on these speakers, that crystallizes an 'image' in my head of what the Kaisers are all about. Many of the systems i have seen using these involve SETs, analogue front-ends...but also seem to be tailored for an extremely exacting delivery of minute detail, decay. People who love opera for the human voice, listen carefully to audiophile-quality masterings, who seek out nuance in the technical delivery of violin solos, etc...

Thanks for that...helpful.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
In my idea Vitus Amplifiers are not like other expensive SS or hybrid amplifiers.
some ss amplifiers are sweet/soft , some are fast/cold or neutral but Vitus is emotional . The tone of vitus in class A mode is special.
using Low efficency loudspeakers (with vitus) will eat dynamics and make it slow/sweet but If you use proper high efficeincy loudspeakers you will have both dynamics and tone plus transparent sound.

most expensive SS or hybrid amplifiers do not give you true/real bass but vitus in class A mode gives you good bass if you choose right loudspeaker .
I think Vitus Class A design is very special in this market.

I like the bi-amp idea in MP-M201 power amplifier.
Having class A bias and going for two amplifier for each loudspeaker .

Reactions: bazelio and bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In my idea Vitus Amplifiers are not like other expensive SS or hybrid amplifiers.
some ss amplifiers are sweet/soft , some are fast/cold or neutral but Vitus is emotional . The tone of vitus in class A mode is special.
using Low efficency loudspeakers (with vitus) will eat dynamics and make it slow/sweet but If you use proper high efficeincy loudspeakers you will have both dynamics and tone plus transparent sound.

most expensive SS or hybrid amplifiers do not give you true/real bass but vitus in class A mode gives you good bass if you choose right loudspeaker .

Agreed. The best Vitus pairing I have heard is with the Gauder in Munich more than once. It sounds delightful on classical just crazy money for the speaker. It was more realistic than kondo kagura at Rhapsody in a direct compare on Magico, even discounting the drivability factor. Others are welcome to go there and compare and pick their own choice that is the best thing about Rhapsody's Disneyland

Reactions: Amir

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Agreed. The best Vitus pairing I have heard is with the Gauder in Munich more than once. It sounds delightful on classical just crazy money for the speaker. It was more realistic than kondo kagura at Rhapsody in a direct compare on Magico, even discounting the drivability factor. Others are welcome to go there and compare and pick their own choice that is the best thing about Rhapsody's Disneyland
I really like kondo amplifiers and i am big fan of Living voice Horn/kondo but in world of SS amplifiers i think tone of vitus is the closest tone to kondo

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I really like kondo amplifiers and i am big fan of Living voice Horn/kondo but in world of SS amplifiers i think tone of vitus is the closest tone to kondo

I like SETs but not kondo kagura or ongaku or overture I will take mastersound (start from there as the lowest price decent SET amp I know)

Reactions: Amir

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California

I like the bi-amp idea in MP-M201 power amplifier.
Having class A bias and going for two amplifier for each loudspeaker .

Vitus is one of my favorite amplifiers bar none.

Reactions: Amir and rubinken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing