How big is your room? W' x L' x H'

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

joneill

Feb 22, 2014
when I sold the Magnepans, I thought I would really miss them. However, my listening has been much less stressful. Remember when I had the Magnepans I was driving them with the Wolcott P220 monos. Every time I turned those babies on, I would pray that they wouldn't detonate. Every time they did, I knew it would be a 6 month wait on repair and a 4K bill to go with it. So - no I guess I don't miss them.

Yea, nothing like low reliability to kill good sound, audio fix as well as ones wallet! As for the 6 month down time.....been there, done that, have the tee-shirt as a "former" OTL owner :)

Besides, those Quickies are great sounding amps. Bet they sound great with those Kharmas.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yea, nothing like low reliability to kill good sound, audio fix as well as ones wallet! As for the 6 month down time.....been there, done that, have the tee-shirt as a "former" OTL owner :)

Besides, those Quickies are great sounding amps. Bet they sound great with those Kharmas.

Welcome!

A friend had George Kaye modded Futtermans driving his Crosby Quads years ago. Sounded very nice when the amps worked but that wasn't often enough :(

joneill

Feb 22, 2014
Welcome!

A friend had George Kaye modded Futtermans driving his Crosby Quads years ago. Sounded very nice when the amps worked but that wasn't often enough :(

Thanks Myles. Great site. Lurking my brains out of late for sure.

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
My room dimensions were customized to fit my multichannel electrostatic speaker setup. So the room is dual purpose Music / HT and is 15' W x 25' L x 11' H
Volume is Loud, oh wait, the other volume is 4,000+cu ft

The crawl-space under this room (aprox 3,000 cu ft) is the rear chamber of the Infinite Baffle sub.

Room is heavily treated as noted in this plan:

HTRoom_AcousticTreatmentsPlacement.jpg

And here's a pic of the front of the room (old PJ is now gone):

FrontStich3pano_3.jpg

Many more details and pics on my site

goldeneraguy

Dec 11, 2012
Beautiful rooms.Fantastic systems.
Makes my 12x21x8 seem tiny.My all tube system and hybrid horns does expand the boundaries though

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My room dimensions were customized to fit my multichannel electrostatic speaker setup. So the room is dual purpose Music / HT and is 15' W x 25' L x 11' H
Volume is Loud, oh wait, the other volume is 4,000+cu ft

The crawl-space under this room (aprox 3,000 cu ft) is the rear chamber of the Infinite Baffle sub.

Room is heavily treated as noted in this plan:

View attachment 14639

And here's a pic of the front of the room (old PJ is now gone):

View attachment 14640

Many more details and pics on my site

This is a classic example of "A picture is worth a thousand words."

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic, Micro...thanks for that...I now remember a description by Bavarian of the development of these custom speakers. I too thought they were Vox Olympians until you posted this and I now remember seeing his description of the design many years ago. He used to own Wilson X1s and a Velodyne 1812 if I recall correctly...that is why I remember this given my own tastes.

Do you know anything about how these custom speakers sound? Most interested.

airbearing

May 2, 2012
Munich - Germany
Myles,

the cave has two large window elements on the ceiling's top end thus feeling you may escape if necessary... but no glass faces disturbing the sound. This room was built for only one purpose...

www.AudioCirc.com

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Myles,

the cave has two large window elements on the ceiling's top end thus feeling you may escape if necessary... but no glass faces disturbing the sound. This room was built for only one purpose...

www.AudioCirc.com

I just clicked on this link... and had a moment..... now I need a cigarette!!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Myles,

www.AudioCirc.com

Airbearing,

If you can, I would be MOST interested in learning more about your custom speakers. Is there anyway you can share with us a description of their design aims, how they were made and how they sound in comparison to other SOTA speakers? I believe you owned Wilson X1s/Velodyne 1812 at one point...similar to my own speaker setup. Any guidance is most appreciated!

airbearing

May 2, 2012
Munich - Germany
LL21,

I wrote a lot about the design of the BV 88 under the link microstrip provided (thanks btw). you'll see it is a completely different design than the Living Voice despite the lookings are somehow similar on the first view. The aim was to establish a horn system being able allowing going for fine nuances in music reproduction as well as driving a brutal 7.1 surround sound. The bass is phaenomenal for a horn system. The subwoofers (2x 1000 W) allow a flexible support. The point is, to let the bass horn lead the pace and avoiding giving the woofers a band which is too large.
The sealed bandpass woofers give an astonishing fast, natural and airy sonic performance with great authority and dynamics. Superb low level detail in the lowest octave.
In comparison to the X1 Velodyne 1812 it is now much better matched with the Wavacs and provides an airy horn sound as well as a nice pushing bass.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
LL21,

I wrote a lot about the design of the BV 88 under the link microstrip provided (thanks btw). you'll see it is a completely different design than the Living Voice despite the lookings are somehow similar on the first view. The aim was to establish a horn system being able allowing going for fine nuances in music reproduction as well as driving a brutal 7.1 surround sound. The bass is phaenomenal for a horn system. The subwoofers (2x 1000 W) allow a flexible support. The point is, to let the bass horn lead the pace and avoiding giving the woofers a band which is too large.
The sealed bandpass woofers give an astonishing fast, natural and airy sonic performance with great authority and dynamics. Superb low level detail in the lowest octave.
In comparison to the X1 Velodyne 1812 it is now much better matched with the Wavacs and provides an airy horn sound as well as nice pushing bass.
Sounds amazing...thanks for that. Do you believe it surpasses your X1/Velodyne setup in all measures? It certainly seems like it...but I would love to understand a little bit more about how the 2 compare. Your project fascinates me!

airbearing

May 2, 2012
Munich - Germany
Sounds amazing...thanks for that. Do you believe it surpasses your X1/Velodyne setup in all measures? It certainly seems like it...but I would love to understand a little bit more about how the 2 compare. Your project fascinates me!

LL21,
definitely. If you are moving from your Gryphon to Wavac or Kondo or other tube monos one day it would make sense to think about a more sensitive loudspeaker system. In your current configuration it is pretty good matched and the Wilson and the Velodyne should make you happy - as they did me too. Enjoy!:b

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
LL21,
definitely. If you are moving from your Gryphon to Wavac or Kondo or other tube monos one day it would make sense to think about a more sensitive loudspeaker system. In your current configuration it is pretty good matched and the Wilson and the Velodyne should make you happy - as they did me too. Enjoy!:b

Airbearing, Thank you! That is good to know and I will keep that in mind. At the moment, I am extremely happy with my setup and primarily my electronics. There are 'better speakers' out there, but my aging speakers are still wonderful and I have not found others that make me want to switch (other than Arrakis which 2nd hand is rare today).

I have heard an excellent system run by Kondo, and read excellent things about your Wavacs incl from friends who own Wavac. Thus, if things change unexpectedly in amplification, I may come calling again for advice on speakers. Enjoy your fantastic system!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing