Hockey pucks and felt pads!

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Different hardness would definitely make things sound different. Back when I had a Rega, I used squash balls (don't know if there's an equivalent in North America) under the Ikea butchers block as a suspension. There war various hardness for squash balls so tweaking with placement and mix of hardness was a good month's entertainment. I used rubber ring gaskets used in plumbing to make sure the balls didn't roll around.

For a long time there were people using Raquet balls cut criss cross (that would absorrb sound and prevent the balls from rolling) that were placed under granite slabs or butcher block for turntable isolation.

Rich

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Damn if I didn't just run across this thread. I love it John! Being from the deep south, hockey pucks might be a bit tough to find. It would seem that that the old adage "necessity is the mother of invention" is beautifully at work here.

...and then, after all of this, the Grado decides to call it a day!!!! Keep the chin up buddy, it'll all come together before long. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing