Are these the best speaker's in the world?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Reading the review of the new Nola Concert Grand Reference Gold speakers by HP, it would seem that he thinks these are the best speakers he has heard! http://www.hpsoundings.com/2013/12/nola-concert-grand-reference-gold-loudspeakers/
Looking at his room picture, I would love to hear how they sound in his room.
BTW, the price is $197,000- ...a price range ( $180K+) that seems to be catching on with many manufacturer's.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Who knows. I wonder how many of these uber-expensive speakers a manufacturer sells a year. Less than 100, less than 1000, more?

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Who knows. I wonder how many of these uber-expensive speakers a manufacturer sells a year. Less than 100, less than 1000, more?

We sell less than 1000 :)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
They may sound as HP says they do, but no thanks. I like a little aesthetics with my purchase. Talk about a butt-ugly speaker!

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
They may sound as HP says they do, but no thanks. I like a little aesthetics with my purchase. Talk about a butt-ugly speaker!

With all due respect to Harry, at his age and as loud as he has listened to music over the last 100 years, I doubt his hearing is reliable.

Last edited:

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Wit all due respect to Harry, at his age and as loud as he has listened to music over the last 100 years, I doubt his hearing is reliable.

Hey JT,

You are a little rough on HP...I sure that it is just professional jealousy on your part, maybe?

Cheer up; BTW, it is the Holidays!

Cheers!

mep

Apr 20, 2010

Hey now! I happen to like the way they look.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Hey JT,

You are a little rough on HP...I sure that it is just professional jealousy on your part, maybe?

Cheer up; BTW, it is the Holidays!

Cheers!

To me, the real question is why are all of HP's "reviews" only a few paragraphs long anymore?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
To me, the real question is why are all of HP's "reviews" only a few paragraphs long anymore?

Joey writes more.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
This review is just one more step in HP great carrier on audio writing - I have to say that the review aspect is not so important for me as most probably unfortunately I will never care about NOLA - they are not wisely distributed.

I found the following sentence particularly interesting : The Scaenas were king when it came to three-dimensionality, but the NOLAs are seamless in a way that I have yet to experience. IMHO it highlights what is separating the latest great speakers from previous generations. Seamless is a very subjective and difficult to describe concept in sound reproduction, but once you experience it you will always be looking for it. Unfortunately, I have found that most of the time it is also recording dependent, and this can make the search a never ending game.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Davey, you asked are these the best speakers ?
Well according to the maker probably yes off course , but you are not him and he is not you, thats why there are a lot of ways " to get to rome" , if there was only one best speaker for everybody it would be quite boring dont you think

Last edited:

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Excuse my ignorance, but where is the $200k price tag coming from? I find that hard to swallow given that they simply look like a bigger brother to the $10k NOLA KO. I'm assuming this is utilizing top shelf components? We know the enclosure isn't doing anything to inflate the price.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Excuse my ignorance, but where is the $200k price tag coming from? I find that hard to swallow given that they simply look like a bigger brother to the $10k NOLA KO. I'm assuming this is utilizing top shelf components? We know the enclosure isn't doing anything to inflate the price.

Dskip, where is the $200K price tag coming from is easy to answer ..it's because they can:D

mep

Apr 20, 2010
It gets past his nap time. :)

Something seems amiss. HP is a great writer and was never known for half-page reviews. Ever since TAS showed him the door (after keeping him locked up in the attic) and HP Soundings started, half-page reviews seem to be the norm.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
This review is just one more step in HP great carrier on audio writing - I have to say that the review aspect is not so important for me as most probably unfortunately I will never care about NOLA - they are not wisely distributed.

I found the following sentence particularly interesting : The Scaenas were king when it came to three-dimensionality, but the NOLAs are seamless in a way that I have yet to experience. IMHO it highlights what is separating the latest great speakers from previous generations. Seamless is a very subjective and difficult to describe concept in sound reproduction, but once you experience it you will always be looking for it. Unfortunately, I have found that most of the time it is also recording dependent, and this can make the search a never ending game.

I think that seamless quality is a function of Carl's latest thoughts on xover design that's also available as an update to older models.

I heard them at CES with the Ref. 75s, albeit with digital, and they were both very impressive both dynamically and at the low end. Effortless and powerful. My complaint is their looks at that price :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing