Incredible Stillpoints

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Perhaps PeterA has left the field but wanted to follow up on the topic of positioning Ultra5s on a slant or angle. I touched base with Stillpoints on this topic and was told angled placement (such as between the Magico Mini and its stand) can indeed give less than optimal results. So there it is. Horizontal or perpendicular compression is the way to use them.

Thanks for following up! I do wonder if PeterA ever stuck the Ultra 5s in different locations (and both bevelled side up and down). with every component (other than Wilsons), I have moved the Ultra 5s around and always find the sound changes by moderate to material amounts. Even under the Velodyne which is already on top of an Auralex isolation platform. If the Magico was so precisely designed to integrate with the stand, I was wondering if the energy was draining specifically to its own 3 feet...in which case, what happens by placing the Ultra 5s directly under those 3 feet or by removing those 3 feet (which may well be permanent).

They wont work in every configuration as well as the original designer's plans...but curious nevertheless..

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I wonder if Steve will try them under his subwoofers ? Seems to me, that would be critical (better low bass) if he did.

stay tuned. I haven't yet

do you use 4 under your subs or 3 and if 4 do you use the adapters and screw them into the footers holes

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
stay tuned. I haven't yet

do you use 4 under your subs or 3 and if 4 do you use the adapters and screw them into the footers holes

Hi Steve,

Because I have Velodynes which uses an odd-size screw...the Stillpoints Distributor could not fit them in place of the Velodyne aluminium feet.

So we basically settled for placing the Auralex platform on the hardwood floor, 4 Ultra 5s (which were more controlled than 3) with bevelled side up directly underneath the Sub. And then I have 3 HRS Nimbus Couplers on top of the sub, each with a mirror-polished Brass 10kg weight on top (total 45 lbs). What can I say? It works in this room.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Perhaps PeterA has left the field but wanted to follow up on the topic of positioning Ultra5s on a slant or angle. I touched base with Stillpoints on this topic and was told angled placement (such as between the Magico Mini and its stand) can indeed give less than optimal results. So there it is. Horizontal or perpendicular compression is the way to use them.

I'm back on the pitch after a brief vacation. Thanks for that information from Stillpoints. That is the gist that I got from reading the various comments on this thread after my experiments. I have not gone back to trying them with my speakers. They did not work under my stands. I was advised that that was the wrong placement for them, and I decided not to alter the purposeful design between by Magico speaker and its stand by trying the Ultra 5s in that location.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks for following up! I do wonder if PeterA ever stuck the Ultra 5s in different locations (and both bevelled side up and down). with every component (other than Wilsons), I have moved the Ultra 5s around and always find the sound changes by moderate to material amounts. Even under the Velodyne which is already on top of an Auralex isolation platform. If the Magico was so precisely designed to integrate with the stand, I was wondering if the energy was draining specifically to its own 3 feet...in which case, what happens by placing the Ultra 5s directly under those 3 feet or by removing those 3 feet (which may well be permanent).

They wont work in every configuration as well as the original designer's plans...but curious nevertheless..

HI Lloyd. No, I did not try the Ultra 5s in different locations. The Magico Mini speaker is an integral design with its stand. I did not try to replace those ball bearings and cups between the speaker and stand with the Ultra 5s. I was advised in this thread that for optimum results, the product is not designed to be placed on an angled surface. Perhaps I will one day borrow another set for some other components. I'm curious about how they would sound under my amps, but not under my turntable after reading of Frank's experience with his SME. I can see how they might well drain vibrational energy away from my amps which could be very effective when used in combination the extreme isolation from below provided my my Vibraplane platforms.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
HI Lloyd. No, I did not try the Ultra 5s in different locations. The Magico Mini speaker is an integral design with its stand. I did not try to replace those ball bearings and cups between the speaker and stand with the Ultra 5s. I was advised in this thread that for optimum results, the product is not designed to be placed on an angled surface. Perhaps I will one day borrow another set for some other components. I'm curious about how they would sound under my amps, but not under my turntable after reading of Frank's experience with his SME. I can see how they might well drain vibrational energy away from my amps which could be very effective when used in combination the extreme isolation from below provided my my Vibraplane platforms.

Got it...sounds like you've got the optimal setup with your magicos already...a good thing!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Btw Jacob Heilbrun just did a blog about loving the ultra 5s under his XLF's. A good read!!

Krelle

Aug 5, 2013
Stockholm Sweden
Yes, if we are talking Ultra 5s, the current version has a tap on the one side only. As you found, this necessitates securing the other side with tape, Blu-Tak like "stuff", etc. Not ideal. The Stillpoints product should always be placed as close to the component being isolated as is possible. My son-in-law uses Ultra SS between his stands and monitors to very good effect. The Ultra SS gives him the option of removing the hard hat so there is a 1/4-20 tap on each end he can use to secure to the stand and the speaker allowing the Ultra SS to 'ride' between the stand and speaker very effectively isolating the speaker.

Hello John! I have tried to contact Stillpoints on E-mail, but I never got an answer. I have Ultra minis and I wonder how much weight they can take? I have read all from 7kg/piece to 25kg/mini, it would be nice to know how much weight They take. Hope for an answer

Best regards Krelle

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Btw Jacob Heilbrun just did a blog about loving the ultra 5s under his XLF's. A good read!!

CAN you supply a link. I couldn't find this new blog. Found the old one where he details the ULTRA 5 install on the XLF.

CHEERS................T

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I tried the ultra 5s the largest ones under my Martin Logan CLXs I have them on a thin carpet over a slate floor on concert . The results were not to my liking a much smaller compressed sound stage i will stay with the spikes sorry still points did not work for me.

Somehow that does not surprise me...I would not have thought the CLX being a panel has a lot of its own vibration and if you have little coming up thru the floor then I think not messing with its design seems sensible.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
CAN you supply a link. I couldn't find this new blog. Found the old one where he details the ULTRA 5 install on the XLF.

CHEERS................T

Hi...it was the same link you saw then...which I think was categorised under TAS blogs.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
Would Stillpoints Ultra 5s be over kill for my 25Kg (55 Ibs) Sony SCD-1 player.It has 5 feet and happy to go with Ultra SS or Ultra 5s.
Stump

sacd.jpg

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Even the Mini should be a consideration here, IMHO.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing