Trip Hop

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I was listening to Emiliana Torrini's

0724384835224.jpg

then started thinking about Portishead. I very much enjoy Trip-Hop as a genre. Anyone else? If so, what are your favorite albums?

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Love Portishead. Was at the Roseland show that was the basis of the great live album. Other trip hop I'm a big fan of off the top of my head:

Massive Attack, 'Blue Lines' and 'Protection' particularly. Remaster of BL worthwhile

Marconi Union 'distance' and 'Tokyo', though closer to the electronica genre

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
then started thinking about Portishead. I very much enjoy Trip-Hop as a genre. Anyone else? If so, what are your favorite albums?

Ever since I left Amsterdam, I feel something is missing in trip hop, and I don't enjoy it that much any more. Can't quite put my finger on it... :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Excellent! Excellent! I love this!

I had not heard her stuff before, but I'm liking this a lot. I'm wondering if its available on vinyl (crosses fingers). I'm hearing all kinds of influences here. Portishead, Enigma, even a little Kate Bush.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
you can get her vinyl in the uk no problem

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Morcheeba!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Love Portishead. ...

Same here, not all, but some of it (Dummy), with singer Beth Gibbons.

Emiliana Torrini (Icelandic singer), like Bjork

Other artists I like in the genre | Trip-Hop music ::

- Dido Armstrong
- Beth Orton
- Bjork
- Beck
- NIN
- The Cure
- Radiohead

Last edited:

katylied

Sep 7, 2011
Torino (Turin) - Italy
Not that much trip hop but the Emiliana Torrini "Fisherman Woman" album it's still high in my appreciation list after several yers from the release.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Ever since I left Amsterdam, I feel something is missing in trip hop, and I don't enjoy it that much any more. Can't quite put my finger on it... :)

LOL!!

Jack, I knew you had to be into trip-hop.

Listening to this right now ... quite enjoyable:

8ecb5928a313132c1f4f5c3cc764ed53_full.jpg

mep

Apr 20, 2010

I'm sure you can't.

katylied

Sep 7, 2011
Torino (Turin) - Italy

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Ron, yeah I was into Trip Hop as Acid Jazz crossed over in the early 90s. Zero 7 is one of my favorites. Lot's of electronica acts out there that do some trip hop but they are usually mixed with non Trip Hop songs in the same albums. I think edorr misses the coffee shops! LOL!

I highly recommend Morcheeba's Who Can You Trust.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
katylied, I enjoy Air's Moon Safari quite a lot. Interesting side note, Moon Safari is the name of one of my favorite progressive rock bands.

Listening to this right now:

4a61024128a0e881e452f010.L.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
What would be underground subterranean abstract blues music? ... The Rebirth of the Cool | Phive

=> Jhelisa - Coldcut - Massive Attack - Leena Conquest - Ben Harper - Tricky - Freakpower - Portishead - Bomb the Bass - UFO - D*Note
- Method Man - Paul Weller - Beastie Boys ...

* Acid Jazz music; which bands, or musicians are from that category?

** Lords of Acid; in which music category are they fitting in?

BTW, I got all that stuff; but very seldom I listen to them now. ...Only some, once in a while, when in the back-lane-memory mood.
Might as well say that I'm already living another afterlife.

katylied

Sep 7, 2011
Torino (Turin) - Italy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing