The Rolling Stones-50 & Counting Tour

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I saw the concert last night at The Honda Center in Anaheim with my wife and had reasonably good tickets As always the venue to a Stones Concert was sold out and as usual they started playing 45 minutes late but man did they come to play. It was almost as if we were watching a sold out concert put on by 4 senior citizens. All I can say was that the Honda Center was rocking for almost 2 1/2 hours of non stop performance by the Stones. These guys have not missed a beat in the 6 decades that they have been performing. Mick Jagger remains the heart and soul of the group as he sang, danced, played the harmonica, played the guitar and had several duets with some added singers during the night. All of these guys are older than me but can they move on stage. The 4 of them IMO could be a "before" picture for a Botox commercial as Jagger resembled a Basset hound with his droopy face while Wood and Richards faces had furrows so thick that even Botox couldn't help them. Then there was Charlie Watts who is completely white haired on the drums, never once cracking a smile or even making a comment as Mick introduced the band. He seems to live in his own world of having his own senior moments

The surprise guest of the evening was Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters as he and Jagger sang "Bitch" from the album Sticky Fingers

Here is their playlist from last night

Get Off My Cloud
It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll (But I Like It)
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter
You Got Me Rocking
Wild Horses
Bitch (with Dave Grohl)
Shattered
Doom and Gloom
One More Shot
Honky Tonk Women
You Got The Silver (Keith Richards vocals)
Happy (Keith Richards vocals)
Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
Miss You
Start Me Up
Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For The Devil

Encore:
You Can’t Always Get What You Want
Jumpin’ Jack Flash
(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor). What amazed me at the concert was the range in age of attendees as there were 3 generations of people there.There were guys my age reminiscing as they played so many of their greatest hits while there were parents bringing their pre adolescent kids to the concert to introduce them to the group as well as another group in their 20's-30's

This is a short tour and if it reaches a city near you run, don't walk as there might never be another chance to see them again. One last caveat........For a man of almost 70 Jagger remains in absolutely perfect shape and without much guessing I would say his waist is somewhere between 26-28" and there isn't an ounce of fat on him.

We also noticed that Jagger never once broke a sweat during the 2 1/2 hours. A remarkable performance

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
i wish they will add our city to the tour later. they've been here twice and both times sold out two night engagement quickly. saw them once and it was quite an experience. i wonder how many kilos of marijuana was consumed as it was being passed from all directions.

mick jagger is health nut. he was spotted jogging miles away from his hotel at below freezing point.

Steve Williams

i wish they will add our city to the tour later. they've been here twice and both times sold out two night engagement quickly. saw them once and it was quite an experience. i wonder how many kilos of marijuana was consumed as it was being passed from all directions.

mick jagger is health nut. he was spotted jogging miles away from his hotel at below freezing point.

They are truly an advertisement for the Duracell bunny as they keep on ticking

They had close ups of Jagger on the big screen behind him and honestly the guy did not have a bead of sweat on his forehead...that's amazing for an act such as this at even half his age. He plays a mean harmonica and is always animated

BTW, they are playing Toronto on May 25th (this coming Saturday) at the Air Canada Center

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

My ex- used to look at the Stones and say she wanted 2X the drugs they were doing. Course while Mick was jogging, where was Keith? :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Out of all of the concerts I have attended in my life, the two most disappointing were the Stones and Led Zep. I saw the Stones around 1975 and they were obviously much younger then (so was I), but they were so off that night it was a bummer. The Outlaws opened for them (Green Grass and High Tides) and they blew the Stones away.

Steve Williams

Mark

I have to tell you that Ronnie Wood didn't join 'til 1975

I can say this....where most people are happy just to have a foot above ground at age 70 this guy sang for a full 2 1/2 hours during which he danced, strutted, played the harmonica while singing as well as playing guitar the guy is absolutely something to behold. When they played some of their some of their songs it brought back fond memories for me Mark. To be performing into their 6th decade is beyond incredible

If they come to a town near you go see them because they truly are that good

4 star

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Mark

I have to tell you that Ronnie Wood didn't join 'til 1975

I can say this....where most people are happy just to have a foot above ground at age 70 this guy sang for a full 2 1/2 hours during which he danced, strutted, played the harmonica while singing as well as playing guitar the guy is absolutely something to behold. When they played some of their some of their songs it brought back fond memories for me Mark. To be performing into their 6th decade is beyond incredible

If they come to a town near you go see them because they truly are that good

4 star

Yeah and without their founder RIP Brian Jones :(

Steve Williams

Yeah and without their founder RIP Brian Jones :(

he died 2 weeks after they threw him out of the band. Yes he was their founder but Mick and Keith wrote the music so they took control and tossed him. He died 2 weeks later

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
he died 2 weeks after they threw him out of the band. Yes he was their founder but Mick and Keith wrote the music so they took control and tossed him. He died 2 weeks later

Yes, and Mick was the last person added to the Stones. :)

But Jones was a creative genius. It's interesting to read Donovan's recollection of Jones since they both cut their first albums on opposite sides of the street in London at the same time and were in each others studio!

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
Out of all of the concerts I have attended in my life, the two most disappointing were the Stones and Led Zep. I saw the Stones around 1975 and they were obviously much younger then (so was I), but they were so off that night it was a bummer. The Outlaws opened for them (Green Grass and High Tides) and they blew the Stones away.

I have seen the Stones ( lets say close to 15+ times ) Led Zep ( close to 12 ) & yes there have been times that I have heard them both sound less than adequate.
BUT...... when these 2 groups have been on their game their concerts were ______magical______ to say the least.
Just as in sports.... musicians have off nights as well.
Their energy & music is very moving.
I feel the Stones made their best music when Mick Taylor was their lead guitarist. Just my opinion of course.

Disclaimer: I make no apologies for being a concert junky in my time... including Jazz & Classical!

It's only rock & Roll but I like it!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Williams

Hey rad I still go to concerts and I bet I'm older than you. I haven't seen the Stones as much as you but I do agree when you say they're on, they are magical indeed. Last Saturday was one of those magical nights. When we left I told my wife that the concert we just saw was amongst the 5 best I've seen in 50 years of going to concerts

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
It's been said that Jagger used to dance like Tina Turner. Now its more like Katherine Hepburn.

Anyone read Bob Lefsetz's reviews?

Bruce in PA

Steve Williams

I read it and he is spot on. People came for all the reasons he said but this will be the end. It looked full the night we went but people were standing in line for $85 tickets which could be anywhere in the house.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing