Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve,
Are you going to try the Shunyata Zitron Anacondas?

I have one Anaconda PC and 3 Anaconda umbilicals

As I stated earlier my next project will be to switch to all Shunyatat PC (probably all Anaconda) and then to switch signal cable until ultimately I have an all Shunyata system

The common statement with all of us here is that not one of us could ever listen to our systems again without the Shunyata gear described

Steve Williams

I should have been more specific - I was asking about the signal cables - ICs and speaker.

I can say that the Shunyata cable with the Zitron technology is affordably priced and that the Anaconda has been priced at affordable levels and is every bit as good sounding or better as many of the price no object cables. I know that this is a pretty bold statement but let one's ears be your judge

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

As I stated earlier my next project will be to switch to all Shunyatat PC (probably all Anaconda) and then to switch signal cable until ultimately I have an all Shunyata system

The common statement with all of us here is that not one of us could ever listen to our systems again without the Shunyata gear described

I know of it - for a long period I had the old Hydra8, Anacondas, Antares and Orion cables. Although I later moved to ICs and speaker cables having more resolution, there was something "right" on having all cables of the same family.

Steve Williams

I know of it - for a long period I had the old Hydra8, Anacondas, Antares and Orion cables. Although I later moved to ICs and speaker cables having more resolution, there was something "right" on having all cables of the same family.

I agree completely. I always felt a system sounds better with a common cabling throughout. As far as speaker cables with more resolution I can't comment only because my present project will be to replace all of my existing PC with Shunyata. I can comment on the resolution I heard with my existing Shunyata PC's as to be far better than the Valhallas I replaced

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
I agree completely. I always felt a system sounds better with a common cabling throughout. As far as speaker cables with more resolution I can't comment only because my present project will be to replace all of my existing PC with Shunyata. I can comment on the resolution I heard with my existing Shunyata PC's as to be far better than the Valhallas I replaced

Steve, thank you for the amount of time and effort that you devoted to evaluating our products. You are truly a member of the lunatic fringe!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

How can you commit to all Shunyata Signal cables without hearing them? While for power they appear to be a category leader, and some would say the only game in town at its pricepoint, for signal cables there are many other contenders, and Shunyata may or may not work best in any particular system.

By the way, I have 2 x Typhon and 1 x Triton boxed and a bunch of calbe up in my basement, ready for burn in. I'll probably do some listening in the Xmas holiday week.

Steve Williams

How can you commit to all Shunyata Signal cables without hearing them

I am one who prefers to use a system based on the same cable. I buy into a system wide approach. What I don't know yet is whether all components will benefit most from Anaconda but at the very least I might use some Python PC's as well as signal cables but I do plan to use Anaconda speaker cables as well as for the interconnect from preamp to amp UNLESS of course Caelin releases yet a cable at CES that transcends the quality of Anaconda then all bets are off :)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I am one who prefers to use a system based on the same cable. I buy into a system wide approach. What I don't know yet is whether all components will benefit most from Anaconda but at the very least I might use some Python PC's as well as signal cables but I do plan to use Anaconda speaker cables as well as for the interconnect from preamp to amp UNLESS of course Caelin releases yet a cable at CES that transcends the quality of Anaconda then all bets are off :)

Steve, you may want to keep your Valhalla speaker and ic's while changing over to the Shunyata's. I think you may well find that the Shunyata Speaker cables and the ic's do NOT bring as much to the game as the power products. The Valhalla's are VERY hard to beat in the speaker and ic configuration, IMO. A step up from Valhalla would be to Valhalla 2 or of course, Odin:)

Steve Williams

Steve, you may want to keep your Valhalla speaker and ic's while changing over to the Shunyata's. I think you may well find that the Shunyata Speaker cables and the ic's do NOT bring as much to the game as the power products. The Valhalla's are VERY hard to beat in the speaker and ic configuration, IMO. A step up from Valhalla would be to Valhalla 2 or of course, Odin:)

Not sure that I agree Davey but stay tuned as I intend to explore the option.

Steve Williams

Thanks Russ

I've been on vacation in the Caribbean for the past 8 days on a cruise ship so have been away from the board here. I did want to share a photo I took the day before I left. I had the wonderful pleasure of hosting Grant Samuelson of Shunyata Research the day before I left in order to get some feed back on the Shunyata cable and gear I added to my system. What a wonderful afternoon. It was terrific seeing Grant again and I valued all of his input.

IMG_0016.jpg

Steve Williams

The one thing that I enjoy about this hobby is how the love of music can bring us together from countries far apart

Here at WBF our membership transgresses almost 40 countries.

Yesterday I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Alex Siufy a member from Sao Paulo Brazil who has been vacationing in southern California with his family. Alex, being a true audiophile sent his family on to San Diego (where they were to spend last night) while he stopped off to meet me and spend a few hours listening to my system.

Alex as you all know is a Magico fan who has made it known that he isn't a big Wilson lover so I must admit that I had some degree of trepidation. The time went by quickly and Alex had to run off and catch up with his family. I think he enjoyed his listening experience but I never did get any feed back.

Nonetheless it was a fun afternoon and I enjoyed the time we spent together

Here is a photo.

Alex dwarfed me as if I were The Hobbit :)

IMG_0001.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
What a great way to share a few hours with another audiophile and music lover from so far away. :D

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Let me tell you, Alex knows his audio.

It is always wonderful to not only put a face to a name but to meet these people.

Steve,

It was indeed a very brief but very pleasurable experience. It's moments like these that make the hobby even more fun! Getting to know people with different and fascinating backgrounds, as well as listening to awesome gear, that I wouldn't be able to hear otherwise!

The way to Steve's house was cool enough already, as it is set in an incredibly beautiful area of South California, and the house itself perfectly located.

I had followed Steve's efforts to get his new room in place from the photos, but they do no justice to the actual finished result. It's totally seamless, and I kinda envy the kind of labour that one can find here in the US. I would never trust my (local) workforce to carry the kind of job done at Steve's house. You need some really skilled folks, not to mention the acoustic treatments carried inside the room itself.

As for the sound/music, I was actually left wondering if the big Wilsons are not made to be played in rooms of Steve' size, as I've heard these same speakers in much larger rooms, with much more powerful amps, and the results where nowhere near as good as I hear there.

I think we have here a case of the sum (electronics+speakers+room) being greater than individual parts. For my taste, I'd put a Q7 in there, and leave the rest untouched. But, as is, it's an incredibly smooth and pleasurable system, where you can play anything (rock, jazz, classical) and come out satisfied.

Oh, unfortunately I didn't have much time, but I did hear one tape, some fantastic classical piece with David Oistrach on violin (from the Tape Project). That was probably one of the best and most riveting violin sounds I've ever heard!

So thanks again Steve for welcoming in your wonderful house, and of course, the doors are always open at my place in São Paulo!

alexandre

Steve Williams

Hi Alex

Thank you for your kind comments and welcome to Southern California. It was a pleasure to meet you and welcome you to my home. I must admit that I was somewhat worried as I know you are a Magico and not a Wilson fan.

As for visiting in Sao Paulo I will never say never. We are thinking of visiting Argentina and Brazil in the next year

Steve Williams

My buddy Marty was in town from New Jersey and we spent 4 hours yesterday doing critical listening with my full Shunyata Triton/Typhon for my front end components and twin Typhons, one in each AC duplex of each channel of my amps. Marty is presently using only a Triton on the front end and no Typhons for the amps.

When I first installed these components the single most obvious change is the sound volume. I have reference preamp SPL levels that I use for most music. I found that I had to turn down the volume in order to appreciate those levels to which I was accustomed.

Our experiment yesterday was quite simple and involved two different parts. Our reference track was Silent Night (Stille Nacht) from Cantate Domino. Initial listening levels on my Lamm LL1 preamp were set. We listened to the track and then disconnected the Typhons from each AC duplex of my amps and lo and behold the sound volume fell way off. In order to restore the same volume to the room we had to increase the gain control on each channel by 3 clicks. When we plugged the Typhons back in the gain was found to be quite high and those three clicks were dialed back.

Then the same experiment with the front end equipment. We listened to the same track of Silent Night at the same volume level we previously set. Then we diconnected the Typhon from the Typhon and listened again and much to our amazement the sound volume had again fallen off and in order to restore the same volume the gain control on each channel of the preamp was increased by 3 clicks.

The results of this were so consistent that we could reproduce the same each time we carried out the test

The two of us were quite amazed at how much of a positive result the use of a Typhon with the Triton for front end gear and the twin Typhons for the amps consistently and repeatedly.

There was no doubt in our minds as to the overall positive results with the Typhons in said locations. As Caelin properly categorized us as the Lunatic Fringe after that experiment I wear the badge proudly

The results were simply amazing and convinced us that this is the way to go.

When the Typhons were disconnected, the other thing we both noticed was a loss of the 3D imaging as well as the emotion of the music.The sound was polite but not nearly as engaging without the Typhons

I'm a believer.

I am hoping Caelin might comment on our findings as to why there was such a change in SPL. Is the sound floor reduced so low with the Typhon that the results are so consistent

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing