Anyone familiar with AVM amplifiers?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My house sounds pretty flat and lifeless except during a hailstorm.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I just finished a review of their top gear. Without letting too much of the cat out of the bag... I'll say this: AVM is the new Krell. The house sound at the top level is clear and clean with just the right amount of warmth. The $24,000 MA-8 monos on the MBL 101E MkII produced the best bass (low and clean) this reviewer has ever heard. The stage is huge and transparent. Perhaps the best value in super amps available today. The CEO, Udo Besser worked at Bermester for years.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I just finished a review of their top gear. Without letting too much of the cat out of the bag... I'll say this: AVM is the new Krell. The house sound at the top level is clear and clean with just the right amount of warmth. The $24,000 MA-8 monos on the MBL 101E MkII produced the best bass (low and clean) this reviewer has ever heard. The stage is huge and transparent. Perhaps the best value in super amps available today. The CEO, Udo Besser worked at Bermester for years.

Thanks, Peter. If competitive with amps costing 2-4 times as much, this is truly a bargain. Also, I wonder if these were voiced with MBL, with both companies being German.
Please post the link when ready!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Quite a postiive review, apparently! When will it be published? Looking forward to reading it.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The manual cautions against using the amp in 120v lines with speakers that dip below 4 ohms. Did you have any blown fuses running these monos?

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
The manual cautions against using the amp in 120v lines with speakers that dip below 4 ohms. Did you have any blown fuses running these monos?

Bruce,

You can set the amps for 2, 4, or 8 ohm loads. In 8 ohm mode I could get the blue LED display screen (on four occasions) to read "clipping" with concert level rock, in the 4 ohm mode, they never clipped. Funny thing... even it the amps read clipping there was no audible distortion. What is really cool is that they have a watts reading... in the 4 ohm mode at 700+ watts per channel, the foundation to the house was shaking. In the 2 ohm mode they can weld steel.

On the MBLs, the 4 ohm setting produced the cleanest sound, in 8 ohm mode it was a little warmer but not as dynamic and detailed.

I have dedicated 20 amp lines and I ran each amp on its own line. This is the first pair in the States and has the 20 amp inlet on it. The newer amps coming in will have the standard EAC inlets. And to answer your question... they will blow your brains out before blowing a fuse.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Thanks Peter! Did you try them out with your YG anat III signature? I have the Anat III studio passive. I know the YGs really like amps like Krell that can deliver big current.

Btw, I'm Michael; not sure what I did to be called Bruce. ;-)

Last edited:

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Is the binding post negative, negative, positive, positive? Doesn't this make it much tougher to get 2 runs of cables down?
AVM_Ovation_Back_01.jpg

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing