ZZ TOP - Would like some recommendations.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Are there any vinyl reissues out there worth owning? I have Tres Hombres, Eliminator and Afterburner on standard original vinyl, but would like to try a reissue.

Thanks guys!

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
the warner bros. tres hombres reissue is great. it's the original London LP mix and generally regarded as superior to any of the orig pressings. my copy gets played a lot:b

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
the warner bros. tres hombres reissue is great. it's the original London LP mix and generally regarded as superior to any of the orig pressings. my copy gets played a lot:b

Hi Rob,

Would that be this!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Are there any vinyl reissues out there worth owning? I have Tres Hombres, Eliminator and Afterburner on standard original vinyl, but would like to try a reissue.

Thanks guys!

I have an audiophile 180 gram version of Tres Hombres and it sounds like Tres Garbage. I will have to see if I still have it so I can warn you off it. I might have made a Frisbee out of already.

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario

Thanks guys!

The one thing I have noticed (maybe its just me) is that some moving coils can pull the production apart to the point where its takes on a quartet sound verses a stadium sound. This is where a second arm with a less revealing cartridge is handy. As to what to buy; I'll monitor this thread.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I have an audiophile 180 gram version of Tres Hombres and it sounds like Tres Garbage. I will have to see if I still have it so I can warn you off it. I might have made a Frisbee out of already.

you sure you have the 'right' version? The one we're talking about is mastered by Steve Hoffman and pressed at RTI

from elusive disc:

Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All Time - Rated 490/500!

TAS Rated 4/5 Music, 4/5 Sonics in the February 2008 Issue of The Absolute Sound!

One of the world's greatest rock 'n' roll bands ever to strut the 50 States, these sharp-dressed Texas titans, Billy F. Gibbons, Frank Beard, and Dusty Hill, are a righteously hell raisin' power trio boasting a 30-plus year hit-making legacy, both in the studio and at concert arenas. With their revved up blues 'n' boogie, they always make the most of their Texas birthright with a distinctive sound that shakes up rock, blues, soul, garage-funk, Americana, and more. Nowhere is their force of nature musicianship better displayed than on this classic album.

"A widened soundstage and enhanced depth boost the record's crunchy midrange and sturdy bass lines. Drums now have authoritative presence and image-specific detail, while the gatefold artwork blows up the trio's humor to life-size proportions." - Bob Gentron, TAS February 2008

"A decade before the Texas blues trio became MTV stars, ZZ Top got their first taste of national fame with this disc, which features one of their biggest hits, the John Lee Hooker-style boogie "La Grange," as well as the boozy rocker "Jesus Just Left Chicago" and the concert anthem "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers." - www.rollingstone.com

Features:
• Cut by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman at AcousTech Mastering!
• From the Original Analog Master Tapes!
• Pressed on Virgin 180-Gram Vinyl at Record Technology, Inc.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
you sure you have the 'right' version? The one we're talking about is mastered by Steve Hoffman and pressed at RTI

from elusive disc:

Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All Time - Rated 490/500!

TAS Rated 4/5 Music, 4/5 Sonics in the February 2008 Issue of The Absolute Sound!

One of the world's greatest rock 'n' roll bands ever to strut the 50 States, these sharp-dressed Texas titans, Billy F. Gibbons, Frank Beard, and Dusty Hill, are a righteously hell raisin' power trio boasting a 30-plus year hit-making legacy, both in the studio and at concert arenas. With their revved up blues 'n' boogie, they always make the most of their Texas birthright with a distinctive sound that shakes up rock, blues, soul, garage-funk, Americana, and more. Nowhere is their force of nature musicianship better displayed than on this classic album.

"A widened soundstage and enhanced depth boost the record's crunchy midrange and sturdy bass lines. Drums now have authoritative presence and image-specific detail, while the gatefold artwork blows up the trio's humor to life-size proportions." - Bob Gentron, TAS February 2008

"A decade before the Texas blues trio became MTV stars, ZZ Top got their first taste of national fame with this disc, which features one of their biggest hits, the John Lee Hooker-style boogie "La Grange," as well as the boozy rocker "Jesus Just Left Chicago" and the concert anthem "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers." - www.rollingstone.com

Features:
• Cut by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman at AcousTech Mastering!
• From the Original Analog Master Tapes!
• Pressed on Virgin 180-Gram Vinyl at Record Technology, Inc.

No, but I'm sure my version sounds like junk.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My WB copy of Tres Hombres arrived last night. Will have a listen soon, but I've got me mucho, mucho football to watch!

ZZTOP - Tres Hombres.jpg

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I have a reasonably nice sounding copy of London Tres Hombres. One ZZ Top that seems to be ignored, but is very well recorded, is "El Loco". Opening drums are huge.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing