Zanden Transport - Problem? - HELP!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Gents,

My Zanden Transport 'plastic spindle' came off in 2 pieces some time ago (all the CD's 'snap on' for a tight fit...so i suppose over time, the pressure caused it crack?). A little crazy glue (not while on the CD player of course), and the little spindle worked perfectly for several years.

Well, it cracked in another spot, and this time for reason the main spinning plate underneath does not spin anymore without really trying to use my fingers to get it to go...like its stuck underneath. Did i press too hard when placing the CDs on top of this spindle?

Anyone have any experience here? I believe it is a heavily modified Philips CDM12 Pro2? Thanks for any help!

I am using my Oppo as a transport...and let me tell you...i cannot wait to get the Zanden Transport fixed!!! Thanks again.

Hi Gents,

My Zanden Transport 'plastic spindle' came off in 2 pieces some time ago (all the CD's 'snap on' for a tight fit...so i suppose over time, the pressure caused it crack?). A little crazy glue (not while on the CD player of course), and the little spindle worked perfectly for several years.

Well, it cracked in another spot, and this time for reason the main spinning plate underneath does not spin anymore without really trying to use my fingers to get it to go...like its stuck underneath. Did i press too hard when placing the CDs on top of this spindle?

Anyone have any experience here? I believe it is a heavily modified Philips CDM12 Pro2? Thanks for any help!

I am using my Oppo as a transport...and let me tell you...i cannot wait to get the Zanden Transport fixed!!! Thanks again.

Is it just the centering part of the platter?

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 309
zanden_2000_premium_rear.jpg

Looks like this place sells that part for $20:
http://www.encosystems.net/store/

hub-standard-300x300.jpg

hub-cone-300x300.jpg

It might need a lube job too Lloyd.

Hi Gents,

The part that Amirm found looks pretty interesting.

If that doesn't work, let me know.

I was also the US Zanden distributor back when I was importing Avantgarde and AUDIOPAX. AFAIK, my contact at Zanden is still there and may be able to help.

Gents,

thank you!!! The plastic part was the one that broke, yes. HOWEVER, the entire circular part (including the metal underneath) was playing a CD absolutely perfectly one minute (for several years perfectly)...and then due to the glued plastic part being a bit thicker due to the glue, i had to press down a little bit extra hard to 'snap' the CD onto the spindle...and everything stopped moving. before, i could manually spin the CD spindle and underlying metal part easily by hand...now it barely moves at all.

Lloyd,

Perhaps you can post a photo of the damaged part - probably the part can be found in an old broken CDPRO mechanism?

BTW, remember that some adhesives emit fumes that can affect the lenses of the laser system - be careful when gluing anything in a CD merchanism-

Lloyd,

Perhaps you can post a photo of the damaged part - probably the part can be found in an old broken CDPRO mechanism?

BTW, remember that some adhesives emit fumes that can affect the lenses of the laser system - be careful when gluing anything in a CD merchanism-

Yes. Great for lifting finger prints, not so great for lenses.

here is the photo with the broken plastic top spindle bit removed. As you might notice, the circular metal part has slightly more room towards the bottom of the photo and is ever-so-slightly got less room on top. And when i put a disc on it, it now tilts slightly down (at the top of the CD player). Presumably this circle has been pushed down at the top by just a slight bit...and that is enough to stop it from rotating.

Hopefully someone can open it and straighten it and put on a new spindle for 20 bucks? Thanks for any thoughts!!!

Also, for future...where can i buy a perfect condition replacement laser assembly today to keep as a backup?

Zanden Transport - photo.jpg

Lloyd - This will sound pretty obvious but - if I were you I would drop it directly to Zanden for a fix... maybe it is time for you to try some vinyl while repairing the Zanden :D

Lloyd - This will sound pretty obvious but - if I were you I would drop it directly to Zanden for a fix... maybe it is time for you to try some vinyl while repairing the Zanden :D

Eric Pheils was literally my first port of call. He came back almost immediately and felt that it should hopefully be something a local tech can repair without having to resort to lots of shipping, etc. I have reached out to my local dealer here, and will hopefully get an answer today.

Always interesting to have to try a different transport (in this case my Oppo 95). Lets say, i am blessed to have the Zanden and to have an alternative as good as the Oppo 95...and equally, i cannot wait to have the Zanden properly fixed. It is even more apparent to me now how great a transport it truly is.

Eric Pheils was literally my first port of call. He came back almost immediately and felt that it should hopefully be something a local tech can repair without having to resort to lots of shipping, etc. I have reached out to my local dealer here, and will hopefully get an answer today.

Always interesting to have to try a different transport (in this case my Oppo 95). Lets say, i am blessed to have the Zanden and to have an alternative as good as the Oppo 95...and equally, i cannot wait to have the Zanden properly fixed. It is even more apparent to me now how great a transport it truly is.

If you have no luck with a local dealer, perhaps a call to a Naim dealer might be worth a shot. My experience with Naim techs has always been very positive, and given the CD555 uses a version of the CDPRO, and the lesser-versions all use iterations of various Philips transports, I'm sure they'd have someone there who's familiar with your problem.

Just a thought.

If you have no luck with a local dealer, perhaps a call to a Naim dealer might be worth a shot. My experience with Naim techs has always been very positive, and given the CD555 uses a version of the CDPRO, and the lesser-versions all use iterations of various Philips transports, I'm sure they'd have someone there who's familiar with your problem.

Just a thought.

Thank you...they have offered to have their tech take a look. Fingers crossed!

Thank you...they have offered to have their tech take a look. Fingers crossed!

Great, Lloyd, keep us posted.

here is the photo with the broken plastic top spindle bit removed. As you might notice, the circular metal part has slightly more room towards the bottom of the photo and is ever-so-slightly got less room on top. And when i put a disc on it, it now tilts slightly down (at the top of the CD player). Presumably this circle has been pushed down at the top by just a slight bit...and that is enough to stop it from rotating.

Hopefully someone can open it and straighten it and put on a new spindle for 20 bucks? Thanks for any thoughts!!!

Also, for future...where can i buy a perfect condition replacement laser assembly today to keep as a backup?

It will be an easy repair, but you have to get access to the bottom of the rotating platter. Probably the cover has to be removed. The rotating platter needs to be pushed up, but applying even force from all sides, otherwise it can bent the part or the spindle. Then you put a new centering part on it.

This happened to me a few times using the Forsell CD platter. If by chance there was a CD sitting on the player and we put a new CD on the top pf it, the very heavy top would immediately force the platter down. BTW, please do not ask for the recipe, I never prepared pancakes on it. :D

It will be an easy repair, but you have to get access to the bottom of the rotating platter. Probably the cover has to be removed. The rotating platter needs to be pushed up, but applying even force from all sides, otherwise it can bent the part or the spindle. Then you put a new centering part on it.

This happened to me a few times using the Forsell CD platter. If by chance there was a CD sitting on the player and we put a new CD on the top pf it, the very heavy top would immediately force the platter down. BTW, please do not ask for the recipe, I never prepared pancakes on it. :D

Thank you! I hope a great tech with care and gentle expert hands can straighten it and send it back with a new spindle quickly...already missing that Zanden sound...

Commiserations Lloyd and hope it gets sorted successfully and quickly.
Now if you had followed my recommendation and invested in a Magnum Dynalab tuner you could be enjoying some wonderful music and sounds on Radio 3 and leave the Oppo to its normal role.

Commiserations Lloyd and hope it gets sorted successfully and quickly.
Now if you had followed my recommendation and invested in a Magnum Dynalab tuner you could be enjoying some wonderful music and sounds on Radio 3 and leave the Oppo to its normal role.

Thank you for the commiseration...as for your recommendation of a magnificent tuner (the mighty Magnum Dynalabs)...if i had taken your recommendation, i would be enjoying great music...but with no budget left to fix my Zanden! ;)

To be honest, the main reason i did not take up your recommendation (which i honestly have long considered) is because i dont know where the future of radio is going. I have not spent much time researching, but i do wonder if i am going to end up with a beautiful piece of equipment and no source material.

Same could be said for my valuable transport! but at least i have 2000+ CDs i enjoy playing every day and a sea of CDs available on Amazon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing