Your favorite World War II movies

It was released on November 2, 2010.....See review here.

Forgot one of my favorites: 'A Bridge Too Far'.

One of the most epic and surely one of the most all-star in terms of cast. I remember it not doing well in the box office. Hard to do well when the good guys lose :(

I agree with the addition of the "The Dam Busters".

A good list so far. A few more nominations:

"The man who never was"

"The First of the Few", known as "Spitfire" in America.

"In Harm's Way" - a sense of the naval battles around Guadalcanal and the Slot.
---
WW II was rich subject matter for movies. Beyond that, some of those movie's subjects mattered far more to the subsequent history of the world than movie material usually does. My list of most important subjects would be Midway, Stalingrad and D-Day with many more subjects being of real importance.

Bill

Surprised to see 'Das Boot' not mentioned here -- the definitive 'submarine film' IMO. Far better than U-571, for example. And just released yesterday with the director's cut on bluray w/a DTS-MA 5.1 track. Phenomenally tense film with a fantastic performance by Jurgen Porchnow as the ship's captain. He seems to be one with the sub, part of the organism that it is.

Just ordered it and will report on A/V quality.

I thought U-571 was also very good with those guys in the subs waiting for those depth charges to hit. The sub sonic effects is staggering

One to add to the list that is a classic is Das Boot.
Must had been mad to work on submarines in WW2, I think 3/4 of them died at sea

Not a film but for me a brilliant series was The Pacific as it seems to have captured the essence of the environment and psych effect on the marines - based on real events and people.
If also including WWI then for me Lost Battalion captures one of the amazing stories, and from what I can tell is reasonably close to real events:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Battalion_(World_War_I))
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0287535/

Cheers
Orb

Surprised to see 'Das Boot' not mentioned here -- the definitive 'submarine film' IMO. Far better than U-571, for example. And just released yesterday with the director's cut on bluray w/a DTS-MA 5.1 track. Phenomenally tense film with a fantastic performance by Jurgen Porchnow as the ship's captain. He seems to be one with the sub, part of the organism that it is.

Just ordered it and will report on A/V quality.

Hehe maybe I should had read the whole thread before posting, yeah agree with you :)
Cheers
Orb

Reading about 'Das Boot',how about the 1957 film "The Enemy Below" with Curt Jurgens and Robert Mitchum. I remember seeing this movie when I was young and thought it as a great movie.

Glad to read they paid attention to the soundtrack. Can't think of a better application for surround mixes than a sub movie, and Das Boot did a brilliant job of putting you in the 'Boot'

HI All,
Fun thread.

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned. I didn't like "Tora,Tora, Tora" though nor "Midway". My absolute favorite is "Patton" with "Saving Private Ryan" a distant second and "The Longest Day" third. One I have not seen mentioned that is excellent is "Letters From Iwo Jima". Speaking of Iwo Jima, John Wayne's "Sands Of Iwo Jima" is one of his best. Audie Murphy's "To Hell And Back" should not be missed.

There are a lot of good WWII movies out there.

Sparky

I just finished watching Das boot , pretty good movie.
However I like saving private ryan more .
I thought the movie Stalingrad was overdramatized , in comparison with the documentairies about that battle.
By the way they are a must watch imo on you tube (interviews with survivors on both sides from that historic battle )

Looking forward rewatching those movies with my next big system speakers in a couple of months , as explosions are always a great basstest

Last edited:
Definitely Das Boot and The Caine Mutiny.

Two quotes still ring in my head:

On board my ship, excellent performance is standard. Standard performance is substandard. Substandard performance is not permitted to exist. That - I warn you.

The first thing you've got to learn about this ship is that she was designed by geniuses to be run by idiots.

If folks can veer off the path with Vietnam movies then I veer off the path to series show and thus nominate Band of Brothers in Blueray as the greatest WWII experience.

There is another one that hasn't been mentioned yet that when adjusted for inflation is the third highest grossing movie of all time! Can you guess it without looking it up?

Hint: It is on Blu-ray.

I had to look it up. Sound of Music. Yeah little Rolf was a nasty little Nazi.

Wow! Being a musical, that one don't even come to mind.

I think we may be adding the new movie..the Monuments Men. Looks very promising.

Yeah...I'm looking forward to seeing that.

Wow! Being a musical, that one don't even come to mind.
There is a surprising amount of the WWII German invasion in the movie. Added a lot IMHO. One of the aspects I remember most from seeing the movie initially in the late sixties. Of all things Sun afternoon liberty in Valetta.

Well if you are now getting into DVD and TV series and mentioned Band of Brothers you must incluse The Pacific by Spielberg and Hanks

BTW IIRC it is soon to be released on BD
Since it was a mini-series one does become invested in the characters. BoB is definetly on the list.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing