You Won't Believe How This Portrait of Morgan Freeman Was Made

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Remarkable. But one has to question the point of spending 200 hours "painting" a perfect reproduction of a photograph that was shot in a split second.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Remarkable. But one has to question the point of spending 200 hours "painting" a perfect reproduction of a photograph that was shot in a split second.

Tim

I guess that is akin to asking why people climb mountains.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The graphic artist certainly made an excellent representation of the original photograph, but it is very misleading to call it a painting.

A painting is made with real brushes and real paint on canvas or panels.

Just out of curiosity, I would like to see exactly how accurately this was accomplished by having the original photograph and the copy posted side by side in Hi-Rez.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I guess that is akin to asking why people climb mountains.

I suppose. Not the most efficient way to get to the top of a mountain. But there is an adventure, a physical challenge involved. This one just seems pointless to me, but maybe that's just me.

Tim

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I suppose. Not the most efficient way to get to the top of a mountain. But there is an adventure, a physical challenge involved. This one just seems pointless to me, but maybe that's just me.

Tim

Let's put it this way......it's better than Etch A Sketch

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
That is certainly one amazing "painter", if you will. Watching the video was certainly an eye-opener as to how painstaking the entire process was. Wow, just, wow.

Tom

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
What's remarkable is that half way through around 2:00 minute mark it already looked "finished" to my eye and then there is a ton more work to even simulate the light bouncing off his skin. Amazing attention to detail.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
You noticed that too? :) Kind of lowers Thomas Kinkade's great efforts to a whole other level. This places this artists efforts into a completely different arena.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing