You only have one chance.....1 LP, or CD or [Sacd or Disk file]......

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have a few Country CD's (Emmy Lou Harris, Graham Parsons) which I listen to occasionally and one Bluegrass CD which I highly recommend, that being Allison Krauss + Union Station Live.
Some Bluegrass like Doc Watson is good.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I've had a few "celebrities" over to the house to listen to the system. Normally I let them peruse my tape collection and they pick a recording they know very well. So it usually is a good test of the system and the medium. Three examples were choosing Miles Davis 'Relaxin' a mono recording from the mid '50's, the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto with Heifetz and Reiner, an early stereo RCA Living Stereo Recording from the mid '50's and Dave Brubeck 'Time Out' from the early '60s. All happened to be 1/2" safety masters. Each person chose to listen to the entire tape, the equivalent to the entire album or one side of the record. No chit chat went on during the music, except for the occasional exclamation.

Larry

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
It totally captures the essence of what they were, how half way in they keep egging each other on and cannot stop. That is what a live band is, not well rehearsed playing the same thing. Even in studio they recorded with minimal retakes. Below is live at Earl's Court

Thanks for posting that, phenomenal. According to some critics, the 1975 Earls Court concerts are the best ever performed by the band:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earls_Court_1975

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks for posting that, phenomenal. According to some critics, the 1975 Earls Court concerts are the best ever performed by the band:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earls_Court_1975

Stairway, going to California, in my time of dying, and trampled underfoot are the best here. No quarter too. They performed for almost 4 hours. It was launching physical graffiti.

Since I have been loving you is better in 1973 (madison Square) and 1972, LA, which is covered on how the West was won. That album also has the best over the hills, bring it on home, heartbreaker, black dog, bronyaurstomp, and the only whole lotta love that I like that goes on for 22 minutes medleyed with John Lee Hooker, Elvis, and the song hello Mary Lou. It also has the best immigrant song live though that was not in LA but down under.

1977 had his best stringing on white summer, and just fantastic song remains the same, Achilles, and Kashmir. Unfortunately all on poor YouTube videos.

1979 had good Achilles, Kashmir, nobody's fault.

Their how the West was won CD and then the double DVD covers most of the above and is worth getting though not great listening on hifi systems, but on home theater it is excellent

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing