You Either Love Wilson Audio Or You Don't

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Interesting you brought up BAT--a company that I think flies under most audiophile's radar. They always have a great sound at shows and would love to hear their latest amps and preamp. Problem for me is that they only run in balanced--or at least used to. So I'd have to get both pieces-I wouldn't want to use some sort of kluge to convert SE to balanced.

I agree Myles. Before I went Lamm, I used all BAT electronics (VK-P10 SE Superpack, VK-31 SE Superpack and VK-150 monoblocks). I resurrected my preamp for HT bypass use and am awaiting delivery of a VK-6200. There's just something about Single Ended, Zero Negative Feedback topologies that I like very much. I guess it shows since I still have DHT sets and owned Aleph 0s, the BATs and now Lamm.

Wilsons, IMO, benefit greatly from SE-ZNFB because of the increased sense of natural flow without having to give up grip and control. Most big Push Pulls and amps whether SS or Tubed with too much global negative feedback have a staccato quality to me. Sort of like they don't want to let go of the notes. For my tastes, the musical envelope has that little bit of emphasis on transients at the expense of the lower level decays resulting in a kind of brittleness or whitish-ness if you will. Wilsons with their speed and resolution will readily expose these faults upstream.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
After I auditioned the Ayre cd player yesterday, the dealer JS Audio in Bethesda.MD invited me to listen to the Wilson MAXX 3. It was very impressive. It was mated with Meridan CD Player and Boulder electronics.At these prices it better be good. It was. Noteworthy was the Maxx's low level resolution. One would expect such a large speaker to knock you out of the room. You did not have to play it loud to appreciate its attributes.
If you are in the area stop by for a listen.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Anyone intereted ?

JS Audio in Bethesda, Maryland has taken on the Wilson Speakers. They have the Maxx3 and Sasha. Because they are trying to sell me a cd player, I am pretty sure they are willing to give me an extended listen to one or the other.
Is anyone interested?
Which would you prefer? Sasha or Maxx3? It'll probably occur in the next 4 weeks.

Reginald G.Addison, Esq
Allnic Audio
Martin Logan

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
JS Audio in Bethesda, Maryland has taken on the Wilson Speakers. They have the Maxx3 and Sasha. Because they are trying to sell me a cd player, I am pretty sure they are willing to give me an extended listen to one or the other.
Is anyone interested?
Which would you prefer? Sasha or Maxx3? It'll probably occur in the next 4 weeks.

Both great speakers with very different price points. By many accounts the Sasha could very well be the better speaker but if you want a bigger deeper sound stage I would bet on the Maxx lll.

BTW, that is some dealer to know. Interested in a CD player and they are ready to bring a pair of speakers into your house :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
BTW, that is some dealer to know. Interested in a CD player and they are ready to bring a pair of speakers into your house

They have a deal on a review sample of the MAXX III for a good price if someone is in the market. I think its that kind of purplish color. Beautiful BTW.
I think the SASHA is already connected to the CD player. That would make it easy for me.

Steve Williams

BTW, that is some dealer to know. Interested in a CD player and they are ready to bring a pair of speakers into your house

They have a deal on a review sample of the MAXX III for a good price if someone is in the market. I think its that kind of purplish color. Beautiful BTW.
I think the SASHA is already connected to the CD player. That would make it easy for me.

That color is "Black Almondine and is the same color as my X-2 Series ll as well as my WATCH Center channel

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Which would you prefer? Sasha or Maxx3?
The easy answer is: Yes.
The next easiest answer is: Price. If you have the $$$$, the Maxx3 is the superior speaker.
Both of these answers assume your room would accommodate the much larger Maxx3s.

Steve Williams

Here is my left channel showing the Black Almondine

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Beautiful indeed. Aubergine somehow might be a more appropriate name than Almondine.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Interesting you brought up BAT--a company that I think flies under most audiophile's radar. They always have a great sound at shows and would love to hear their latest amps and preamp. Problem for me is that they only run in balanced--or at least used to. So I'd have to get both pieces-I wouldn't want to use some sort of kluge to convert SE to balanced.

Hi Myles,

If ever you find yourself in the San Diego area, please let me know...the BATs are navigating our difficult room very adroitly. I don't have Rex power.

-Sam

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles,

If ever you find yourself in the San Diego area, please let me know...the BATs are navigating our difficult room very adroitly. I don't have Rex power.

-Sam

Thanks Sam! It's funny that I've been all over Southern CA but never made my way down to SD (even though a friend I used to train with moved there years ago). It's one of my goals so I'll definitely keep ya in mind when I get out CA way.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing