You Either Love Wilson Audio Or You Don't

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It seems there is just no in between. I heard my first pair of Wilson speakers (Watt Puppy 5.1) back in the late 80's. At the time I was using Thiel CS7's. They were played with an all tube amp and preamp and I was smitten. I found the sound just lit me up. It wasn't until the early 1990's shortly after I moved from Southern California to the SF Bay Area that I finally made the switch and bought a pair of WP 5.1's. From then on the rest has been history as I have owned or still own the following Wilson speakers
Watt Puppy 5.1
Watt Puppy 6
Maxx Series l
XS Subwoofer
X-1 Series lll
WATCH center channel
WATCH surround and rear speakers
X-2 Series ll

Needless to say I have made a few payments on Dave's home and Ferrari but for me the journey was worth it. Sure there are countless speakers available in the market today but it the sonic signature of a Wilson speaker that rocks my sonic boat.

Over the years of developing my system and getting to where I am now I have used many high end components both solid state and now tubes.

IMO there is something magic that happens when tube amp and preamp is used in the system.

Finally after almot 50 years in this hobby I have reached audio nirvana by pairing Lamm amp and preamp with these speakers.

Disclaimer: I have posted before that I have the ability to sell Lamm gear but I am also a lover of how well they sound together and want only to spread the word.

OK you Wilson bashers, have at me :p

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
For years and years I hated Wilson. Most of the W/P 3-5.1 series I heard were paired with Krell electronics. Around the introduction of the Sophia did I start to enjoy the Wilson Sound. From then on.. Wilson has been pretty awesome. I had a W/P 7 and WATCH surround system in my mastering room for about 3 years and enjoyed every minute.

Regards,

Steve Williams

For years and years I hated Wilson. Most of the W/P 3-5.1 series I heard were paired with Krell electronics. Around the introduction of the Sophia did I start to enjoy the Wilson Sound. From then on.. Wilson has been pretty awesome. I had a W/P 7 and WATCH surround system in my mastering room for about 3 years and enjoyed every minute.

Regards,

Well there is no doubt that speaker set up know how is very important as well as pairing the speakers with proper amp/preamp. IMO Wilson just sounds better with tubes

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Well there is no doubt that speaker set up know how is very important as well as pairing the speakers with proper amp/preamp. IMO Wilson just sounds better with tubes

Set up has worlds to do with any component. I remember people dissing the WP5.1 and then hearing them at my home. Most thought from they were the most neutral speaker they had heard from the mid-bass to upper midrange. My biggest complaint back then with the WP (as it is with most speakers and is the main reason I own Martin Logans) was their lack of low level information. They imaged like a son of a gun, one could get them to sound relatively musical but vertical soundstage was always compromised and just didn't have all the music that my modded MGIIIa or Martin Logan Quests had.

No doubt the Puppy Tail (of which used the one made by Transparent Audio) made a big difference in the sound of the 5-->5.1 versions. I always ran tubes on the WP including cj, VAC, Unison and a few others. But you can run solid state on Wilson too. I used and reviewed the ASR integrated amp back then (way before it began everyone's fave) and the ASR sound wonderful on the WP. I also seem to remember Dave using Mark Levinson amps (that probably are the antithesis of the Krells) when I visited the factory back in 2000 (BTW, Dave Wilson had the finest and scariest home theater system set up I've ever heard).

I'd also guess based on my listening to Jeff Rowlands older Model 12s that they would work well on the Wilsons. Those were Jeff's breakthrough amp and wish my review of them had made it to print. They sounded wonderful on the Martin Logan Prodigys. Another amp that I'd like to hear on the Wilson is Jim Whites Atlas amps. Jim's amps sounded awesome driving the new Vandy 7s in Vegas; in fact I was shocked how good they sounded and thought the sound in Richard's room with not quite totally tricked out Vandy 7s sounded better than the totally tricked out 7s (Duelands everything) elsewhere at the show.

Now one bone I've also had to pick with Wilson has been how he prefers to set up his speakers eg. widely spaced and severely toed-in. Though there are room to room differences, I've rarely heard his speakers sound at their best using this configuration. I still prefer the standard way of setting up speakers.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
OB -- I've always admired the Wilson sound, but I didn't love the sound until I heard your speakers paired with tube gear. What a revelation.

Steve Williams

OB -- I've always admired the Wilson sound, but I didn't love the sound until I heard your speakers paired with tube gear. What a revelation.

Thanks Rob

I can honestly say for the first time in my audio journey that I am there and have no desires to change anything

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks Rob

I can honestly say for the first time in my audio journey that I am there and have no desires to change anything

Wow you sound like 7 of 10 finally finding perfection :)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

I know my Wilsons paird with the Pass Labs XA-160 and XA-100.5 amps are a match made in heaven!
Fremer, in his review of the W/P said that the Pass amps were the way to go.

The only tubes I've heard on Wilson's are the Sigfrieds and that was sounding pretty awesome. I was in a room that was unfamiliar though.

Regards,

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I know my Wilsons paird with the Pass Labs XA-160 and XA-100.5 amps are a match made in heaven!
Fremer, in his review of the W/P said that the Pass amps were the way to go.

The only tubes I've heard on Wilson's are the Sigfrieds and that was sounding pretty awesome. I was in a room that was unfamiliar though.

Regards,

Yeah they were getting pretty good low end if I remember!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I dunno Steve, Love or Hate may be too strong a statement. Just like any revealing loudspeaker, they just need the requisite attention to get just right.

If anything, Wilson has suffered from the backlash of their own popularity since expectations had become unrealistic high. First time demo-ers are conditioned to expect the heavens to part. That's not really fair. On the other hand those conditioned to hear Wilson as overhyped, are often pleasantly surprised.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I don't have a lot of Wilson Audio experience. I heard WATT/Puppy 2 (or maybe 3) years ago in the UK, but that was it until this past CES. A few of the rooms I liked were using Wilson Audio speakers (the Sasha, I think), the sound quality was neither great nor terrible. But one room which did very much impress me was the Lamm room on the last day. Vladimir was using the Maxx 3 with his tube amps, and I though the sound was great! I'd love to try more Wilson Audio speakers under better controlled--and more familiar--conditions. Like my home! :)

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
I have spent some time behind many a Wilson. Some I admired and some I dispised. The amplification and set up makes them or breaks them. The Watts always threw a huge stage but seemed artificial. The Maxx was good with AR big monos. I think they work better in larger rooms too. The big Cylon looking one that is no longer made was driven by Krell and sounded well BIG !

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I agree about the amplification being a factor. IMO Lamm pairs best with Wilson.

Not disagreeing with you Steve-but just trying to make a point. I think most top rated tube amplifiers sound good with Wilsons :)

I also get the feeling that many audiophiles like to cast the blame for the bad sound in a Wilson speaker based system upon the speakers; maybe it's the speakers revealing the amplifiers or other pieces of gear in the system (for example, I will say I'm referring to Watt/Puppys 5.1 series and over)? Unless one is intimately familiar with the sound of every component in the system, it's not fair to blame the Wilsons.

Too often, I listen to some systems and leave saying if only real, live music sounded that way--but it doesn't. One example were the early gens of SE tube amps; they sounded very pretty but it wasn't real. I also think that SE amps with all their colorations also took off as a rxn to digital eg. these amps took the harshness out of the music.

After all, a top rate speaker should reveal everything in front of them; that's in part why I like my ML and feel that one can really balance musicality and resolution in one product.

Steve Williams

Not disagreeing with you Steve-but just trying to make a point. I think most top rated tube amplifiers sound good with Wilsons :)

I also get the feeling that many audiophiles like to cast the blame for the bad sound in a Wilson speaker based system upon the speakers; maybe it's the speakers revealing the amplifiers or other pieces of gear in the system (for example, I will say I'm referring to Watt/Puppys 5.1 series and over)? Unless one is intimately familiar with the sound of every component in the system, it's not fair to blame the Wilsons.

Too often, I listen to some systems and leave saying if only real, live music sounded that way--but it doesn't. One example were the early gens of SE tube amps; they sounded very pretty but it wasn't real. I also think that SE amps with all their colorations also took off as a rxn to digital eg. these amps took the harshness out of the music.

After all, a top rate speaker should reveal everything in front of them; that's in part why I like my ML and feel that one can really balance musicality and resolution in one product.

I definitely agree but having had Krell 750 Mcx's and then ARC Ref 600 Mk lll and now ML3's I honestly belief they sound best with the Lamm gear

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I've heard various Wilson speakers with a variety of both tube amps, including those Steve has owned as well as Nagra, CJ, and others, and a variety of SS amps, including Halcro, Spectral, and others, and the Wilson speakers just sound great, period.

Much of this comes down to one's personal preference: the flavor of SS amps vs. that of tube amps.

My own preference: I'll take the Spectral. Now if I can only find a sugar daddy who'll give me the $$$$$$$$ to purchase them.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
"IMO Lamm pairs best with Wilson"
ARC,CJ and BAT all did well. The only time Wilsons sound good is at a show. They always have a big room and excellent source material. Its usually SRO. Unfortunately the patrons never vote the best in show

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
"IMO Lamm pairs best with Wilso
ARC,CJ and BATall did well. The only time Wilsons soud good is at a show. They always have a big room and excellent source material. Its usually SRO. Unfortunately the patrons never vote the best in show

Interesting you brought up BAT--a company that I think flies under most audiophile's radar. They always have a great sound at shows and would love to hear their latest amps and preamp. Problem for me is that they only run in balanced--or at least used to. So I'd have to get both pieces-I wouldn't want to use some sort of kluge to convert SE to balanced.

Steve Williams

Interesting you brought up BAT--a company that I think flies under most audiophile's radar. They always have a great sound at shows and would love to hear their latest amps and preamp. Problem for me is that they only run in balanced--or at least used to. So I'd have to get both pieces-I wouldn't want to use some sort of kluge to convert SE to balanced.

8 or 9 years ago at T.H.E. Show in SF I heard the Avant-Garde Trios played with top tier gear and I remember them playing tracks 3,4,5 (I think) and it was the best I have ever heard those tracks played and I am not a big fan of horns

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing