Yacht commissioned by Steve Jobs launched

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Less ugly .. still ugly

Hello, Frantz. I usually try to restrict myself to making positive comments about another man's dream but in this case, you typed my thoughts exactly. I don't believe that I could have said it any better....and I love yachts.

Tom

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Few more images here, including a video.

BTW, someone recently said to me ... "if you find yourself homeless, sleep outside an Apple store. When the police come to move you on, tell them you are waiting for the iPhone 7 or 8".

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
They should make an advertizing apple ship of it , sailing around visiting all ports of the world as a kind of a store / museum open to vistors/apple fans ,and a tribute to the founder of apple .

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'd love to see the inside. As they say, you can't judge a book by its cover

Its look however from the exterior certainly doesn't smack of the appearance of uber yachts as we know them

It looks like it has a big hat on top of it. It is butt ugly.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve Jobs' high-tech yacht impounded over bill dispute

Venus, the minimalist high-tech yacht commissioned by the late Apple founder Steve Jobs, has become embroiled in a row over a disputed bill.

French designer Philippe Starck claims Mr Jobs' heirs still owe him 3m euros of a 9m euro fee for the project, according to Dutch paper Het Financieele Dagblad.

Mr Starck called in the debt collectors and had the yacht impounded,

The Port of Amsterdam confirmed that the boat is not allowed to leave.

Jeroen Ranzijn, spokesman for the Port of Amsterdam told the BBC: "The boat is brand new but there is a 3m euro claim on it. The parties will have to fight it out."

Roelant Klaassen, a lawyer representing Mr Starck's company, Ubik, told the Reuters news agency that the boat would remain in port pending payment by lawyers representing Mr Jobs' estate.

"These guys trusted each other, so there wasn't a very detailed contract," he said.

Mr Starck was unavailable for comment.

Gerard Moussault, the lawyer representing the owners of the Venus told the BBC: "I cannot comment at all on this, sorry."

The sleek, 260ft-long (80m) aluminium super-yacht cost 105m euros ($138m; £85m) and was launched in October, at Aalsmeer, The Netherlands.

Mr Starck is known for his striking designs for the Alessi company, including an aluminium lemon squeezer that is shaped like a spaceship.

He collaborated with Steve Jobs for five years on the project, describing the boat as "showing the elegance of intelligence."

The vessel is minimalist in style and is named after the Roman goddess of love and its windows measure 3m (10 feet) in height.

Mr Starck has said that Venus "looks strange for a boat" but said its shape comes from design ideas he shared with Mr Jobs.

Mr Jobs died of pancreatic cancer in 2011 and never saw his boat go to sea.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing