Yacht commissioned by Steve Jobs launched

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By MIKE CORDER, AP
THE HAGUE, Netherlands — The sleek, white superyacht glistens under a gray autumnal sky, a posthumous testament to the design aesthetic of Steve Jobs.

Just over a year after the Apple founder died, the luxury motor yacht he commissioned and helped French product designer Philippe Starck make has finally slipped into an anonymous Dutch backwater.

Looking like a floating Apple store, it bears all the hallmarks of a new Jobs-inspired creation — crisp white lines, polished metal, glass. And secrecy.

Late Tuesday, shipbuilder Feadship announced it had launched the "78.2-meter (256-foot) all-aluminum, full custom motoryacht Venus" at its yard in Aalsmeer, just south of Amsterdam, two days earlier.

Starck said in a statement emailed to The Associated Press that he is "proud of Venus as he feels it reflects Steve Jobs expectation and vision."

The superyacht has a long white hull with a row of circular portholes just above the water line and two glass-walled cabins on the top deck, one on top of the other.

Starck said Jobs asked him to design a boat in 2007 and approved his design at only their second meeting to discuss the project.

"The project never changed during the process of five years dedicated to a rigorous work on details, driven by the famous eye and genius of Steve Jobs," the statement issued by Starck's design house said. "This work was directly done between Steve Jobs and Philippe Starck."

Walter Isaacson described plans and models of the yacht in his biography of Jobs, who died, aged 56, on Oct. 5 last year.

"As expected, the planned yacht was sleek and minimalist. The teak decks were perfectly flat and unblemished by any accoutrements. Like an Apple store, the cabin windows were large panes, almost floor to ceiling, and the main living area was designed to have walls of glass that were 40 feet long and 10 feet high,"Jobs' biographer wrote. "He had gotten the chief engineer of the Apple stores to design a special glass that was able to provide structural support."

Isaacson wrote that Jobs, who long battled pancreatic cancer, was conscious of the fact that he may never see the finished yacht, but wanted it completed anyway.

"I know that it's possible I will die and leave Laurene with a half built boat," he said, referring to his wife. "But I have to keep going on it. If I don't, it's an admission that I'm about to die."

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. Al

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
I remember reading somewhere that all the people who worked on his yacht received iPod shuffles with the ship's name engraved into the back of them.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
if you squint your eyes Venus resembles an early 1900s tug boat. imho, its very unatractive.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
if you squint your eyes Venus resembles an early 1900s tug boat. imho, its very unatractive.

This can't get any more subjective than that.... I have to agree the darn thing looks ugly to me too.. +1

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
What a failing here. They build computing devices that work like their customers want them to work. Then they build a boat and put constraints on it like looking like an Apple store with no idea as to how that conflicts with the purpose of a vessel. When you are in a ship, your first concern is how seaworthy it is. Safety is job #1. A massive wave coming from the front washing over the deck and meeting that large flat pane of glass dead on can't be safe at all. The forces will rip apart what is holding the glass even if it doesn't break. That is why the front of boats is pointed. To cut through waves. Of course the owners will likely never be in it in such waters but still, if you are caught unexpected you need the thing to keep you safe.

Here is Steve's boat:

And a sample mega yatch:

Now, if you are just going to sit in the at harbor, then sure. A large square pane of glass is fine.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Fugly. Immensely fugly. And I'm an Apple products user of many, many years. But there is no way anyone can call that boat elegant, beautiful or well designed (though I see a few articles saying just that.) An abomination.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It looks more like a copy of NCC-1701D to me.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
The exterior was designed by Phillipe stark, so no wonder.

Boats should be designed by boat designers.

As much as I love the Apple design aesthetic in their products, it's miserably out of place on a boat, and I'm into modern contemporary boats, just not this style.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing