Wireless Internet Access in the SKY!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Typing this on the plane coming from Oakland, visiting Steve, to Seattle. I know wireless Internet has been announced and been available on flights here and there but this is my first experience. I must say, the response time is excellent! So they must be relying on ground stations as opposed to satellite.

BTW, this is a free promotion from Alaska. I think it said the cost was $9.90 for the flight (?).

What do folks say about this capability? I must say, I am divided on this. On one hand, I love being in touch and be able to chat with you all this way :). At the same time, flying was the only time for me to catch up with my print magazines which pile up during the week at home until I get on an airplane.

What do folks think? Will you use such a service? And how much will you pay?

SORAsound

May 14, 2010
whenever i have been lucky to be on a fight with such capability i have used it and cherished it..the fees are really low which is surprising...i would be more than willing to pay twice as much to have this service on ALL my flights..

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Haven't travelled enough lately to use air wireless--but noticed that a few of the Hampton's busses now have free wireless available for the 2 hour trip.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
FYI, this was a short 1.5 hour flight and as soon as they announced that the service was available and free, more than 50% of the people in first class pulled out their computers. It was kind of surreal to see row after row of computers on!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
It is hard for me to stay offline amir, GoGo inflight service is a great option for me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing