Wilson holidays listening in Chicago

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Decided to spend some time while with in-laws in Chicago to hear the Alexia and Sashas. While there were some definite strengths (dynamics and soundstage mainly), I got to say I was not impressed overall. Something about tonal balance - don't know. Just sounded less musical than what I am getting in my own room. Gave them a pass on muddled bass and ascribed this to room interactions. But playing "shine on you crazy diamond" reasonably loud I wanted to turn the volume down because the guitar was just a little harsh. In my system I want to turn it up because this is music the be played really loud. One speaker to cross of my list of may want to hear in my own room someday. Oh well.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I'm sure allot depends on the partnering equipment. I've heard some Wilson demo's sound bad and some sound good.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Both Sasha and Alexia were set up with all Ayre electronics and Transparent cabling.

The big question is how would it sound with your own equipment? And if the answer is not as good as it could, then is it worth it to swap out eq until you find the sweet spot for that speaker? And then after all that, is it better than your last setup? Buying new speakers is kind of a crap shoot.

Ideally, one should buy the speaker that they think has the most potential and then build around it. Until you have heard a speaker near it's best, it's hard to know it's potential.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
I too have heard the Alexia with the Ayre integrated amp and ARC's latest DAC with Mac Mini and top of line Transparent Cabling( in a superbly treated room), and must be Ayre's interaction with the Wilsons, as VERY UNDERWHELMED. Compared to my system of Spectral, Auralic Vega. MIT/Spectral cabling and Magico S5s, not impressed at all. I have heard the Ayre with Vandersteens, and sounded great. Equally, I've heard the Sashas in the same room, same cable, and all ARC pre/amp, and sounded awesome. I think there must be some poor synergy w/ the Ayre and Alexia, as from what I've read, the Alexia is supposed the bomb. Just goes to show you, listen- listen- listen for yourself w/ your equipment!

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Ok, I must stand corrected on the preceding post. Attended an event this week featuring a properly set up Alexia with the same Ayre integrated amp, Ayre dac, MacBook Pro running audirvana with transparent cabling in the SAME room I listened to before. The difference was night and day!!! The system was incredibly dynamic, articulate, soundstage superb, bass LOW, highs airy, and damn if it didn't sound like music. We were next door (waiting our turn in the listening room) and a piano cut was played. I would have bet a million dollars someone was playing a big grand piano next door, and I played for 12 years. My turn in the room, and Peter with Wilson Audio played some electronic music, varying the tweeter position by 1/8 ", and the difference was astounding. No wonder Wilson mandates a trained Wilson tech to set up the speakers. We played a Keith Richards CD cut Word of Wonder, and when the drums were "whacked " early into the song, I about jumped out of my seat. Dynamic range was incredible! I still prefer my Magicos, but a totally personal preference- I could have the Alexia and would be fine, and can truly understand why people are so enamored with these speakers. I'm not one of those "love it or hate it" listeners- I can appreciate each speaker's attributes. Everyone out there should at least listen to a properly set up Alexia whether you can afford it or not. The interesting question is how much the Sophia 2 takes on the sound with its new and adjustable tweeter.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ok, I must stand corrected on the preceding post. Attended an event this week featuring a properly set up Alexia with the same Ayre integrated amp, Ayre dac, MacBook Pro running audirvana with transparent cabling in the SAME room I listened to before. The difference was night and day!!! The system was incredibly dynamic, articulate, soundstage superb, bass LOW, highs airy, and damn if it didn't sound like music. We were next door (waiting our turn in the listening room) and a piano cut was played. I would have bet a million dollars someone was playing a big grand piano next door, and I played for 12 years. My turn in the room, and Peter with Wilson Audio played some electronic music, varying the tweeter position by 1/8 ", and the difference was astounding. No wonder Wilson mandates a trained Wilson tech to set up the speakers. We played a Keith Richards CD cut Word of Wonder, and when the drums were "whacked " early into the song, I about jumped out of my seat. Dynamic range was incredible! I still prefer my Magicos, but a totally personal preference- I could have the Alexia and would be fine, and can truly understand why people are so enamored with these speakers. I'm not one of those "love it or hate it" listeners- I can appreciate each speaker's attributes. Everyone out there should at least listen to a properly set up Alexia whether you can afford it or not. The interesting question is how much the Sophia 2 takes on the sound with its new and adjustable tweeter.

Wow...what a great thing to come back and post again. Thanks for doing that. One of the things that I admire about Wilsons is that the big boys and the latest generation thru Alexia are very very adjustable. The Distributor here has often said he can make them sound just about 'however you wish' using all the different adjustments (sliding, tilting, resistors, and of course placement of the speaker itself). And when he demonstrated that to me in my own room, I understood quite a bit about how valuable setup really is with Wilsons. And these were X1s, let alone the latest generation.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I'm not one of those "love it or hate it" listeners- I can appreciate each speaker's attributes. Everyone out there should at least listen to a properly set up Alexia whether you can afford it or not. The interesting question is how much the Sophia 2 takes on the sound with its new and adjustable tweeter.

I really appreciated your sentence about "love it or hate it" listeners and share your views - I fail to understand the battles between both camps.
BTW, I think you want to refer to the Sasha 2.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
I really appreciated your sentence about "love it or hate it" listeners and share your views - I fail to understand the battles between both camps.
BTW, I think you want to refer to the Sasha 2.

You're correct, my bad. Sasha 2- will be interesting to hear the latest Wilson brings to the table in this line.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing