WiFi Extenders??

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
I am really enjoying my streaming experience with the Aurender N30SA music server.
My only problem is using my Iphone or IPad as my remote control.
Because these remotes require Wifi signal to work, it appears my Wifi is weak due to the router being in my office.
Any suggestions on a quality WiFi extender to boost the signal in my listening room??
Thanks,
Gregg

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my network engineer son just upgraded our WiFi in the barn and house (7000 total sq ft) with these products. works slick. he said the speed of the down and up loads was very fast.

1679687049915.png

Last edited:
Reactions: gfroman

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Thanks, Guys.
Went with the TP-Link AX3000 (3) Pack!

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Google MESH, buy it in Costco.com and be happy.

My son-in-law has a Google mesh system and when I recently upgraded and replaced my Apple Extreme network system I looked into it. I discovered that Google had a newer tri-band system called Google Mesh Pro and bought that instead. Bad mistake. The Google Mesh system is well reviewed. The Mesh Pro is a horror show. I needed 6 units to cover my house. Numerous complaints on line said the software has intrinsic errors and to stay away. I agree. I could never get the system to work seamlessly and returned it in 30 days for a full refund. (Thank you
Amazon!) I bought the Netgear Orbi Mesh (AX-6000 Triband Wi-Fi 6) system and couldn't be happier as I now required only 4 units for complete coverage and the performance is excellent.

my network engineer son just upgraded our WiFi in the barn and house (7000 total sq ft) with these products. works slick. he said the speed of the down and up loads was very fast.

View attachment 106538

Mike, did 3 units really cover 7000 sq ft? House and barn? If so, that's very impressive!

Also, I'm curious as to whether you are using a wall wart PS for the TREND switch? (I thought you were using a Nordost switch and its LPS?) I suspect that any inexpensive LPS on the TREND would improve the overall network signal significantly? That was a key piece of the advice I received in some PMs as well as in the general forum that suggested cable modems and switches clearly benefit from an LPS vs a SMPS anywhere in the system. I would agree. The second piece of advice I received was to turn off the network created by your ISP modem and let the TP-link system create its own wireless network as the only network used throughout the house. I did exactly that on my system by turning off the Xfinity Motorola cable modem wireless network and the improvement was quite noticeable when only the Orbi system wireless was running throughout the house. (The argument is that there is less noise in the system due to the elimination of the ISP modem's network). The final piece of advice I received was that there is a noticeable gain when my server is fed directly from the modem (if possible) rather than from a satellite at the end of the network chain. That experiment was easy for me to do and I was honestly surprised by the findings. Would never have guessed it matters. I had previously over-looked the importance of these small network improvements and these excellent suggestions made by WBF members especially @vert, @nenon and others.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
My son-in-law has a Google mesh system and when I recently upgraded and replaced my Apple Extreme network system I looked into it. I discovered that Google had a newer tri-band system called Google Mesh Pro and bought that instead. Bad mistake. The Google Mesh system is well reviewed. The Mesh Pro is a horror show. I needed 6 units to cover my house. Numerous complaints on line said the software has intrinsic errors and to stay away. I agree. I could never get the system to work seamlessly and returned it in 30 days for a full refund. (Thank you
Amazon!) I bought the Netgear Orbi Mesh (AX-6000 Triband Wi-Fi 6) system and couldn't be happier as I now required only 4 units for complete coverage and the performance is excellent.

Mike, did 3 units really cover 7000 sq ft? House and barn? If so, that's very impressive!
notice the quantity (2) for each item. so 2 x 3, and 2 x 1. he used 2 of the 6 for the barn, and 4 for the house. he was able to hang these units directly on the network outlets without a wall wart or any plug in to the power grid, they get their power from the network itself.
Also, I'm curious as to whether you are using a wall wart PS for the TREND switch? (I thought you were using a Nordost switch and its LPS?) I suspect that any inexpensive LPS on the TREND would improve the overall network signal significantly?
he did not use the TREND switch in my system listening room, the Nordost switch stayed in place. he used it at the junction box in the barn garage. and then in the junction box in the house main area in a closet.
That was a key piece of the advice I received in some PMs as well as in the general forum that suggested cable modems and switches clearly benefit from an LPS vs a SMPS anywhere in the system. I would agree.
the Nordost switch has the Nordost LPS. and the switch directly upstairs from the Nordost switch still has it's LPS. not sure about these TREND switches.
The second piece of advice I received was to turn off the network created by your ISP modem and let the TP-link system create its own wireless network as the only network used throughout the house. I did exactly that on my system by turning off the Xfinity Motorola cable modem wireless network and the improvement was quite noticeable when only the Orbi system wireless was running throughout the house. (The argument is that there is less noise in the system due to the elimination of the ISP modem's network).
he did do this. this is the only WiFi we have and it seems to work better, no drop outs.
The final piece of advice I received was that there is a noticeable gain when my server is fed directly from the modem (if possible) rather than from a satellite at the end of the network chain. That experiment was easy for me to do and I was honestly surprised by the findings. Would never have guessed it matters. I had previously over-looked the importance of these small network improvements and these excellent suggestions made by WBF members especially @vert, @nenon and others.
i'll ask him about these other issues. thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: marty

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing