Why can't music be recorded simultaneously in analog and digital?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Frantz I have to agree with Thomas on this point. Vinyl will continue to survive as long is there is a strong niche market, and this has nothing to do with analog or digital being better or worse. Will it die eventually? I think yes, but not in my lifetime and I intend on being here for many more decades. Additionally, there is so much product out there, that even if nothing new were produced, the market would still support the format because of the easy access to used product, but I suspect that's a whole other issue.

Back to the topic....I'll be honest and say that a lot of times, I can't tell whether a recording is analog-sourced or digitally sourced, unless perhaps I'm doing a comparison. Surely this is in part due to my rather low-profile system, but it seems that it's not something great debate should be given to. For me it all comes down to whether I like a pressing or not, and I'm much more concerned with how something was mastered and the production quality of the finished product.

Thomas.Dennehy

Jan 5, 2012
Bloomfield Hills MI
Frantz ... I suspect that's a whole other issue.

I quite agree that we strayed off-topic. Frantz, at the risk of shameless self-promotion, I have written on my blog about many of the points you raised, beginning here and here. Maybe even here. Anyone interested is welcome to visit.

Cheers!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thomas ..I am not sure anyone can object to the fact that digital downloads is the way of the future and even that is not so clear as people make greater use of "the cloud".. I haven't tried Spotify for mobile but am using regular spotify and it clearly points toward the future of music and I am under the impression that Spotify has lossless delivery in the works ...Our grand kids or their kids may not even have to download anything ...just pick it up from the cloud ... You know just like Radio broadcasts but with infinitely more control and you think by then, Vinyl, Vinyl will survive???? And why would that be?

Frantz:

The naysayers said exactly what you're saying in 1980 and look 30+ years later, vinyl hasn't gone away yet, DESPITE THE BEST EFFORTS OF THE ABOVE GROUND PRESS TO KILL VINYL! Even magazines like No Sound and Vision who pissed all over vinyl in 1980 when all of its reviewers drank the digital koolaid cocktail recently featured a turntable on the cover. So what gives? Destroy vinyl and when you fail, adopt it again. Can't have it both ways.

Plus the numbers you're quoting are, unfortunately misleading. Those numbers are taken from an industry survey that doesn't account for independent music dealers (and that's where the bulk of LPs are sold nowadays) so the results nowadays, esp. when probably 75% of vinyl is sold over the internet, are not statistically relevant.

There have been numerous articles written in not just audio magazines about the youths new infatuation with vinyl. Go into any record store and there are tons of new music on vinyl (or just look at Chad's website).

And you know why else vinyl will survive and prosper? There are still billions of LPs out there that people play and will continue to play. Nor are people likely to dump their LP collection and start their music collection all over from scratch.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I don't understand that statement? Why should that be? Take the early digital recordings done by RR when digital was downright lousy. Do you think that they're better than the analog tape?

Myles,

I was addressing specifically the latest Reference Recordings LPs made from the 24/176 digital masters - not to our old precious treasures. I should have made it clear.
IMHO the old LPs were a lot better sounding than the CDs. And their CDs were much better than the average of that time. I remember that curiously Atmasphere amplifiers could bring them to life!

I am going to listen to the Stravinsky "L'Histoire du Soldat" (Chicago Pro Musica) RR LP tonight to redeem myself . :cool:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Myles, you should know that the majority of new pop/rock vinyl is cut from digital masters and sounds just as bad as the CD's. Maybe in NYC it's different, but in most parts of the country new vinyl is not purchased for reasons of sound quality, or at least not because it sounds better (believe it or not, lots of young people like the sound of surface noise with their music).

Is anyone even manufacturing new studio quality analog tape recorders?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
"Sound and Vision" is actually becoming an enthusiast magazine rather than just an industry shill. Not up to Stereophile's standards, but it will become more credible than TAS if current trends continue.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, you should know that the majority of new pop/rock vinyl is cut from digital masters and sounds just as bad as the CD's. Maybe in NYC it's different, but in most parts of the country new vinyl is not purchased for reasons of sound quality, or at least not because it sounds better (believe it or not, lots of young people like the sound of surface noise with their music).

All I was answering was whether vinyl is or isn't a viable medium down the road :) That was not intended as a comment on as you raised, the sound quality of these rock LPs.

As far as decks, there's plenty around and also people modding them, making heads, etc. Hell Ki could outfit most of the studios in the world!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
As far as decks, there's plenty around and also people modding them, making heads, etc. Hell Ki could outfit most of the studios in the world!

So the answer to my question is "no"? :D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My tech is a dealer of entry level consumer gear aside from tech'in for us and doing restorations of vintage equipment. He's doing very well selling new and reconditioned tables to enthusiasts in their 20s. These kids are buying LPs like crazy. Seems Vinyl is far from dead. In fact I think it just got out of the casket and has begun walking around some. In our local forum a 19 year old posted his collection of new Rock LPs and was asking if there were others around his age. A couple said they were, the rest, well, we said we were young at heart. LOL.

There's also a mini-resurgence for Tape capable studios. In New York alone 2 new studios with big SSLs and 2" tape opened fairly recently. It should be noted that this was before Grohl and the rest of the Foos did their thing. The demand from Artists and producers is clearly there as well. I do expect that only established acts will be able to convince their labels to spend the extra dough.

As for the merits of Tape, you'll never be able to hit digital hard the way you can with Tape baby. :)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SO you think when we pass away about 75 years from now :D there will be a craze for Vinyl ... as if there is currently a craze for Vinyl? Well .... dream on ...

I liken this train of though to the fact that once you get something say a green, car you start noticing green cars ... LP is on its way finding the dodo on the list of extinct species/items ... it won't be long after us .. first us .. then the Vinyl except at the Library of Congress and a few museums ..

Sorry John I had to reply

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

Otari is still producing new tape machines and ATR Services and _____ can't remember the name now, are refurbishing Ampex-102 machines.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing