Why can't I do Sudoku?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Is this a brain malfunction or some sort of deficiency?

I have tried on numerous occasions, but I'm just totally lost and can't get my head around it. I mean I don't even come close. My twin-sister OTOH breezes through them.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
You're lucky John as it can be very addicting. I did it for years before I realized how much time I spent playing it. So I slowly weaved myself off. Now my wife is hooked and spends at least 1 hour per say

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm a crossword addict and have been since forever it seems. But this Sudoku thing has me stumped......it's infuriating almost!

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Your sis got the math gene... :)

It takes a different mindset (and skillset) from crossword puzzles since it's not just plugging in the right words, you have to include numerical sums in your pattern recognition.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Is this a brain malfunction or some sort of deficiency?

I have tried on numerous occasions, but I'm just totally lost and can't get my head around it. I mean I don't even come close. My twin-sister OTOH breezes through them.

Almost the exact opposite of crosswords. Have to look at the whole puzzle first. Can't worry about solving particular rows first like you would in a crossword. Just like a crossword though, in that once you get the hang of it you fill find the method easier, but not necessarily the puzzle.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Funny which logic puzzles bring us to a crashing halt.
What I never could do was the freaking Rubik's cube.
Really bizarre, I failed so bad at that and the logic of it never seemed to sink in or make sense for that matter :)
RubiksCube1.jpg
Rubik's cube is my nemesis :D

Cheers
Orb

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
I've been strong academically at everything I do, but even as a Math major, I cannot comprehend what anything means in Probability. I understand the math behind it (at least formulaically), but cannot grasp the key words that clue you in on what they want. Anything else in math I breezed through, including the theoretical courses, but I had to take 4 Probability/Statistics courses and never made higher than a C.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Don't feel bad John. My 7 year old is so much better at it than I am that it went from not funny to remarkably funny. :D

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Your sis got the math gene... :)

It takes a different mindset (and skillset) from crossword puzzles since it's not just plugging in the right words, you have to include numerical sums in your pattern recognition.

Hmm, I do sudoku all the time and there is no math involved. Maybe I've been doing it wrong all this time.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I want nothing to do with numbers in games or puzzles. Having had my fill with numbering systems over the years. Binary, octal, decimal, hex. You can keep them, crosswords are a passion though. Do at least two a day and rarely do not finish them.

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Hmm, I do sudoku all the time and there is no math involved. Maybe I've been doing it wrong all this time.

Indeed. The problem would be identical if Sudoku used letters instead of numbers...

That said, I tried to teach somebody some methods to consider when doing Sudoku once and he just couldn't grasp it. He's an all round intelligent guy, but the Sudoku thing just threw him. Deep down I still think it's a matter of confidence primarily, and once you have a few techniques under your belt you should be able to solve the easy ones at least, but this guy has challenged that notion. So basically, JV, I dunno!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing