Why Audiophiles Are Paying $1,000 for This Man’s Vinyl

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
As one of the people who participated in that RCA Living Stereo Scheherazade "shootout", I have no idea of what Tom Port is on about in that interview. Firstly, the files I received were definitely NOT named in any way so as to enable us to differentiate between them based just on that. We simply received two files of the same excerpt and each was generically named. So there was no possible way to tell just by looking at the file names, nor anything else for that matter.

Secondly, the point of the exercise wasn't so much a double blind test to work out which was which mainly because almost everyone acknowledged they sounded quite different to each other. This was never going to be a really challenging shootout like comparing cables or high res PCM versus DSD. The difference was significant to begin with, so it was more of a test to establish which of the two we listeners preferred (if indeed we did have a preference for one or the other, after all, we might have decided both were great despite sounding so different to each other).

For my own part, as an extremely experienced listener to golden age classical recordings, it was no trouble at all to tell which LP was which, as was the case for many other experienced listeners. And really, nothing came as a surprise. It was pretty obvious to me that the newer release was closer sounding to other efforts in recent years that are known to be "closer to the master tape" (that itself being based on commentaries provided over the years by people who have made qualified comparisons of RCA Living Stereo releases to the master tapes). So in other words, the new Analogue productions pressing was deemed "more accurate". But even knowing this, I preferred the "hot stamper". But not because it was a Tom Port Hot Stamper. It was because in the specific area of acoustic instrumental timbre (my number 1 priority in any aspect of audio reproduction) it simply sounded more like what I hear in the concert hall and was a more organic experience, particularly when it came to string sound. Certain other things were not as good as the new AP pressing though.

I have often felt that some of the reason for my preferring the original releases is that back in the very early days, engineers were aiming for that final sound on the LP itself and did whatever was needed in all the preceding steps to obtain that sound. And I doubt when doing this in the 50s and 60s they were expecting that one day almost 50 years hence, someone would take the original session master tapes and make high resolution digital transcriptions of them - basically "flat", and then sell them to the public like that!

Incidentally, I also definitely recall from my listening notes that whilst preferring the Hot Stamper, there was no way in the world I felt it was worth anything remotely like the asking money compared to the $30 AP release. Would I ever buy one of these hot stampers? In theory yes, but only in the circumstance where I was desperate for a title that I felt sure would never be reissued by one of the audiophile reissue labels. I have little to no doubt that if you buy a Hot Stamper you are going to be very satisfied. But obviously acquiring (or even rounding off) a collection that way would be cost prohibitive for most listeners. I don't even begrudge the asking price - it is a huge amount of work to do what he does. It's just that in the end, when you can get a really good sounding record by Analogue Productions for $30, it is very hard to justify the prices of original releases- even when they are cherry picked mint minuses.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have never heard one and really not too interested to shell out $500.00 to find out. I don't like the fact he scratches out the matrix numbers. I surmise he doesn't want people to know what pressing he likes so they don't go out and search for one at a much lower cost.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I have never heard one and really not too interested to shell out $500.00 to find out.
I don't like the fact he scratches out the matrix numbers. I surmise he doesn't want people to know what pressing he likes so they don't go out and search for one at a much lower cost.

That, hurts me sincerely deep in my music soul.

________

* Great read, above, by Fiddle Faddle

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I visited Tom Port in his garage in North Hollywood in 1999 before he used the term 'hot stampers' and became so controversial. back then he was most definitely anti-audiophile as he made fun of MFSL and others. I bought 10-15 records from him at that time and they were pretty good as I recall.

at the time I was surprised at the terrible sounding system he had and it's a wonder that he could tell one pressing from another. so that part did cause me to question his opinions. but likely somehow he seems to know what he is doing.

I never bought another record from him since 1999.

I have done the 'buy 20 copies' approach with a few titles and you do end up with the best sounding record. it is a bit of work. there are likely 50 people and systems I would have more faith in to tell me what pressing is best than Tom Port.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I have never heard one and really not too interested to shell out $500.00 to find out. I don't like the fact he scratches out the matrix numbers. I surmise he doesn't want people to know what pressing he likes so they don't go out and search for one at a much lower cost.

I wouldn't buy from him for this reason alone. And for plenty of others. But this is just so much misinformation if you know what I mean.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Christian,

I did not know that he scratched out the matrix numbers. Hmmm... I've also gotten to make a habit of checking out the stamper numbers of some of my favorite labels, RCA, Columbia, Decca, etc. and I have mostly liked the first run pressings, ie. 1s, 1A, S1 and even on some pop Arista pressings, I have been comparing matrix numbers and engraving of letters and numbers to correlate what could sound the best with those kinds of info.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have done the 'buy 20 copies' approach with a few titles and you do end up with the best sounding record. it is a bit of work. there are likely 50 people and systems I would have more faith in to tell me what pressing is best than Tom Port.

And this 20 copies system of his, does not include the hundreds or thousands of copies out there in the world, so chances are, somebody out there will own a copy that beats his hot stamper. :D

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
God, what a route to insanity.
What I'm amazed is that I've looked on his site, and some albums that are universally agreed to have NEVER sounded good, have copies from him that according to him sound STELLAR.
An example is Genesis "Abacab". This album has always been challenged from day 1, with an overly dry, clinical production, and too much length crammed into a single lp (55 mins). I've never heard this album sound even near great (despite me loving the material).
But if you believe the Better Records blurb, their copy is full of "tubey" magic etc etc.
Now if this really is true, then he's onto something.
But this could be most likely self aggrandisement on a giant scale.

And I'm strugging to get my head around sides a and b on the same lp having differential grading, and tracks within a single lp varying in quality. This has got to be the most ocd thing I've ever heard of in audio (or am I missing something even wackier?).

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And I'm strugging to get my head around sides a and b on the same lp having differential grading, and tracks within a single lp varying in quality. This has got to be the most ocd thing I've ever heard of in audio (or am I missing something even wackier?).

Someone told me that too, so I began to explore that possibility with my multiple copies of a certain album. You know what, I *thought* I heard the difference too between sides - it was very subtle, with me favoring side 1 on one LP and side 2 on another. I asked a friend who was very familiar with the album and he told me he thought they sounded the same. When he left, I listened again, and guess what? I thought they sounded the same! The power of preconceived notion must have gotten me there for a moment. :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And I just recall now, a friend who buys from Port told me that his Cat Steven's Tea for the Tillerman hot stamper - an A&M plain jane regular US pressing, smokes the solid pink label UK Island original pressing that was listed by HP as a Golden Dozen LP some years ago. That, I want to hear for myself.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm quite the collector of Japanese vinyl, and some of these lp's do indeed sound stellar compared to their UK/US counterparts. Yes "Close to the Edge", Rush "2112", ELP "ELP", Led Zep "3", all being prime examples. Now I don't know if different tapes are sent to Japan, the stamper runs are shorter, or there is a boost in EQ, but I don't listen to the non-Japanese versions of these albums anymore.
I just can't imagine Abacab EVER likely to sound stellar. But Port tells me it does.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
There are IMO only 2 reasons as to why this could indeed be possible.

1. Noise. Either on the master or pressing issue.
2. Compilations. When different masters were used.

Everything being equal, I don't see how it's possible.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There are IMO only 2 reasons as to why this could indeed be possible.

1. Noise. Either on the master or pressing issue.
2. Compilations. When different masters were used.

Everything being equal, I don't see how it's possible.

Third reason. It's not actually true.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I didn't see Spirit's original post that you are commenting on John, so maybe I have this out of context, but there is certainly track to track variability on the same copy of the same album that can start in the studio, when the recording is being made (apart from compilations). As to different sides, look at the deadwax, some records are mongrel copies, they may use a lacquer from a preferred mastering and a lackluster one someone else cut, e.g. all the hype about those LZ IIs that were cut by 'RL'; some only have an 'RL' cut on one side and the other side is something else. I have an Allman Bros early pink Capricorn Live at the Fillmore that is Piros and King, depending on which side. I don't think the folks at the pressing plant were necessarily matching stampers, they needed a side 1 and a side 2. For track to track variability, listen to almost any copy of Aqualung that hasn't been heavily over-eq'd (like the old Mo-Fi). On first press UK, you can hear a big difference. If you read the comments from the original engineer, he was just cutting his teeth (it may not have been his first as chief engineer but he admits he was green; he had a hard time with the room- the old Island room in the church on Basing St.; and the IRA was bombing London during the time the recordings were made, so there were power cuts and they relied partially on a generator).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Bill - I stand corrected. You are absolutely right. I don't know how that passed me by this morning.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
And how do they compare?

I have no idea (yet). The "hot stampers" are in the mailing box, unopened, in a very tall pile of other unopened boxes of new LPs, awaiting the repair of the house and the new system.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I didn't see Spirit's original post that you are commenting on John, so maybe I have this out of context, but there is certainly track to track variability on the same copy of the same album that can start in the studio, when the recording is being made (apart from compilations). As to different sides, look at the deadwax, some records are mongrel copies, they may use a lacquer from a preferred mastering and a lackluster one someone else cut, e.g. all the hype about those LZ IIs that were cut by 'RL'; some only have an 'RL' cut on one side and the other side is something else. I have an Allman Bros early pink Capricorn Live at the Fillmore that is Piros and King, depending on which side. I don't think the folks at the pressing plant were necessarily matching stampers, they needed a side 1 and a side 2. For track to track variability, listen to almost any copy of Aqualung that hasn't been heavily over-eq'd (like the old Mo-Fi). On first press UK, you can hear a big difference. If you read the comments from the original engineer, he was just cutting his teeth (it may not have been his first as chief engineer but he admits he was green; he had a hard time with the room- the old Island room in the church on Basing St.; and the IRA was bombing London during the time the recordings were made, so there were power cuts and they relied partially on a generator).

Bill, it's moments like this that I love you guys, what a fantastic discourse. I would NEVER have guessed.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I have no idea (yet). The "hot stampers" are in the mailing box, unopened, in a very tall pile of other unopened boxes of new LPs, awaiting the repair of the house and the new system.

Gosh, you have some stellar vinyl waiting for you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing