Why are there no female Audiophiles?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Haha, have you seen the state of us. Not sure women fancy "the club".

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Because this is a hobby for alpha males to peacock at each other

(Peacocking is spreading your wings and doing a dance to impress)

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
It's obvious..they have much better hearing and wouldn't approve of any of our systems, especially Peter A's and Ron's and bonzo's (wait, the biggest blowhard here doesn't have a system. The ladies would REALLY have issue with that!!)

Reactions: AudioGod

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It's obvious..they have much better hearing and wouldn't approve of any of our systems, especially Peter A's and Ron's and bonzo's (wait, the biggest blowhard here doesn't have a system. The ladies would REALLY have issue with that!!)
The system with the biggest WAF = no system.
Bonzo is the biggest catch here.
Of course when they see he spends his cash instead on pricey vinyl and endless air tickets, the charm soon wears off.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
I would argue that’s for the same reason that no young people getting into this hobby.

The audiophile community has historically been male-dominated. This may be due to various factors, including social stereotypes, marketing targeting, and historical gender imbalances in certain hobbies. .

Reactions: bryans and AudioGod

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
The title makes this an absolute. There were a few women with systems who were active on Audiogon pre-pandemic; I know of one for sure on AudioCircle . Fully expect there are more, but maybe they simply don't waste their time on audio forums so they are less obvious.

Reactions: Bobvin and Johan K

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
It’s like how many FOH (Front Of House) women have you ever seen mixing a live rock, pop or trance/house-music concert… NONE!! EVER!! This is also very strange to me. Women could do very well indeed in this area I think. I would love to see more female audiophiles, and FOH technicians…. That would be cool :cool: !

/ Jk

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
the phycological literature shows that females are more interested in people and males more interested in things. There are always exceptions, but look at STEM fields its dominated by males.

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
I quit high-end hifi when our daughters were around 3 and 5 and didn't start again again until they were in their early 20s. My financial priorities shifted and - more importantly - so did the amount of time I could spend doing the kind of listening that a good system seduces us into devoting to it. In other words, I became less me-focused, as many women are (either by choice or because it's thrust upon them).
I also think that fewer women are willing to make the financial and time commitment to a largely solitary endeavor. When my wife and my daughters have downtime they prefer to spend it with others, and conversation plays a significant part.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Buying handbags, clothes and shoes :p

Djcxxx

Nov 11, 2022
Since I was 1was 14 listening to music was a solitary and contemplative activity. It still is when I want to listen, immerse,, and contemplate. My wife prefers to read as her solitary and contemplative time. Others will have different outlets for solitary pursuits. Casual uninvolved ”listening” requires no commitment to expensive audio equipment. The personal experience and its relative importance drives the pursuit.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Young
the phycological literature shows that females are more interested in people and males more interested in things. There are always exceptions, but look at STEM fields its dominated by males.
I can see this. Look at the old video of the Beatles in concert. A million young girls. They could sit all day and listen to a records over and over with their friend and talk about how they were going to marry one of the band members and destroy the group forever. I never thought of a relationship with the band members. I enjoyed the groove of the music. I wondered, if I could play this well, could I have a million groupies after me.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
One of my favorite clients is a lovely lady with a lovely family. They are Sri Lankan and were here in the Philippines while working for the Asian Development Bank. She has fantastic ears and a very wide range of musical taste. After I had set up her system and devoured mind blowing vegetarian meal she had prepared, they even gifted me with a fabulous CD of one of their local artists.

The system she chose was composed of one of our compacts speakers with a full range driver augmented by a raal ribbon and a aperiodically loaded 6" woofer cabinet. She opted for a KT150 integrated and source was a DSD capable R2R DAC.

I wish there were more lady audiophiles actually. Those I know do not obsess as much about gear and how they work but are very clear about what they like and what they don't like. That makes it much easier for me to serve them. Demo'ing is so much easier than sales talk.

Wavetouch

Jul 4, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
www.wavetouchaudio.com
AudioGod

Why are there no female Audiophiles?

The non-audiophiles (most female) hear much different from audiophiles. Non-audiophiles don't like hi-fi audio music because hi-fi audio sounds very bad to them. Here's why.

There are natural sounds (human voice, dog barking, baby crying, water flowing, etc.) and unnatural sounds. Human can't hear a natural and unnatural sounds together simultaneously. If they are presented at the same time, the human ears must choose one of them. Audiophiles can switch back and forth (extremely fast) between natural and unnatural sounds due to years of practice with their audio systems. However, most people (non-audiophiles) can't switch back and forth between 2 sounds.

In below video, if I didn't say "hello", you could hear both (L & R) speakers fine with automatic audiophile's ear adjustment (listen beginning 1~6 seconds of videos). But saying "hello" (natural sound) holds our ears to stay in a natural sound mode. And you are hearing what non-audiophiles (most female) are hearing.

The both speakers in below videos were same sounding speakers. The right speaker is converted to a natural sound speaker by me. The left speaker is untouched. Almost all speakers (include $million speakers) in the world sound like the left speaker.

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
A few names that come to mind - EveAnna Manley - Manley Laboratories; Anee W. J. - designer and manager at Sophia Electric; Rachel Zhang - Grant Fidelity; Julie Mullins - Stereophile

Googaliser

VIP/Donor
Mar 31, 2019
It's an interesting question - I have wondered the same. I guess many are too busy - I know my wife laments the fact I have time for hobbies. She is a violinist (with a wall full of disks - most of them platinum) - but doesn't get the whole high fidelity thing at all - never has. She is happiest listening to Spotify in the car

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing