Who's buying the new iphone?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Been trying to get through to apple, still no luck!:mad:
as appealing as it looks with OS4 I am going to pass on the new model even though I like the idea of the metal sides for better antenna reception and fewer dropped calls which IMO is the bane of ATT and the iPhone.

The reason I am passing is because buying the new Iphone 4 locks one into another 2 year contract with ATT and brings with an early termination penalty of $400. I say this because the bets\ on the street is that Steve Jobs will be presenting an "unlocked" version of the Iphone 4 so that it can be used with Verizon which has a better overall network than ATT. I can predict exactly where I will always drop calls with my iPhone 3Gs This is almost certainly going to happen before the 2 year contract with ATT is up and hence a $400 charge for early termination

Steve Williams

I heard the same although there was some buzz that perhaps it would be available last week with the intro of the new phone. One can bet he will do it. Can you imagine the numberof unlocked iphones sold world wide and what it will do to Apple stock

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I plan to get one soon (they're not released here in Canada until late July). Fortunately, our GSM carrier (Rogers) doesn't have the poor reliability I hear about AT&T. My current cell phone contract expires in a week or so, so the time is right to replace my aging Treo 680! (I've had a smart phone for YEARS now, and I can't ever conceive of going back to a "dumb" one!)

My understanding is that AT&T is the only US GSM carrier (the rest use CDMA). If that's the case, I doubt you'll see the iPhone on Verizon--at least until they start phasing out CDMA in favour of GSM (rather like Telus and Bell up here). When most of the planet uses GSM, CDMA just doesn't make sense...

I do like the idea of an unlocked phone. Assuming I want to keep it after my contract expires (which, incidentally is *3* years up here), I'd liek to be able to chose which carrier gets my business.

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
I will be getting one, but more for gimmick than for necessity. i do a lot of speeches on technology in Africa and having the latest technology is more a prop for me, to show people what is coming (that is my justification to write it off as a company expense - i do like the looks of it too!). i too would like a Verizon solution; however, it is not as simple as unlocking the phone. Verizon is on a CDMA network vs. AT&T on a GSM network; GSM uses a sim card, while CDMA does not. therefore, they have to design a new phone for Verizon. i think Apple has hesitated because they know the next generation phones will converge, more specifically, GSM and CDMA standards converge in the 4th generation into one standard. therefore, they would like to make only one phone and are afraid if they make the CDMA phone now, it will be short lived (i.e. replaced by the 4th generation). Both Verizon and AT&T have continued to delay their 4th generation network (note: 4th generation has two standards - LTE and WiMax - when Sprint states they have a 4th generation network it is a WiMax network; while AT&T and Verizon will launch a LTE network - most carriers in the world will have a combination of the two in the 4th generation).

Some people are saying Apple is not doing launching with Verizon b/c of the exclusivity agreement between them and AT&T. i do not believe this is the case. AT&T is swamped on their network b/c of the Iphone, so i don't think they welcome some relief from a competitor; but more importantly, the US Justice department is putting pressure on them to end the exclusivity and they are both looking at it as a friendly way to exit. if you want an unlocked GSM phone to use on TMobile, that is easy, but TMobile is worse than AT&T (at least in NYC). Having said all of that, the AT&T network does suck!!!!

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I ordered one. My 3GS is cracked, but I might of done so anyway because of I'm into Apple stuff and this is the biggest redesign yet. Getting better signal via the new antenna would be a major plus. The new data plan actually saves me $5 bucks if I choose to implement it. Right now I pay $30 for unlimited data, I could drop to $25 for 2gigs/mo. which is far more than I use.

Word seems to vacillate on whether T-mobile or Verizon will get it first. T-mobile would presumably be easier because of its a GSM network. With Android gaining ground, Apple is more motivated than ever to get another domestic carrier.

One thing about Verizon having come from them to AT&T -- they have, by far, the worst customer service I've ever encountered, and I'm not exactly a difficult client.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Understood. Almost did that two years ago, but things have gotten somewhat better in the NYC area, and at that time anyway, there were no alternative phones that appealed. Also, I'm so embedded in the Apple ecosystem, getting into another would be a pain.

Steve Williams

Understood. Almost did that two years ago, but things have gotten somewhat better in the NYC area, and at that time anyway, there were no alternative phones that appealed. Also, I'm so embedded in the Apple ecosystem, getting into another would be a pain.

Like you I love the iPhone and will always have one

For me there was little improvement from my 3Gs to pony up for the new phone and be stuck with ATT again. I will stick with the 3Gs until the unlocked version appears

BTW Rob I would recommend using an iPad for your controller rather than an iPhone

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Trying to resist the iPad until 2nd gen. My 5 yo keeps seeing the ads and asking when we're going to get on. Has to be great as a controller.

My experience with Verizon was black comically awful on stuff they acknowledged was their mistakes. So no way I'll ever go back there, and don't think T-Mobile/Sprint are any better reception-wise in NYC.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
I am on Verizon because of the problems with AT&T that my daughter was having with her iPhone 3gs. I have a Storm 2 which is BlackBerry's (#1 smartphone supplier in the world) second and latest attempt at a full-screen touch. There is really no contest between the 3gs and the S2. In fact, my wife is still using the original iPhone which came out in '07 and there is no contest between it and the S2 when it comes to most day-to-day functions...particularly the user interface.

I have been eying the new Droid phones which are very powerful. The problem is battery life. Apple has captured a key chip manufacturer with intellectual property that enables powerful, lower-power phones which currently have no equal. Given their combination of battery life, powerful processors, fantastic user interface and deep applications base the G4 will just dominate the contest for the foreseeable future.

The only thing standing in the way of world domination is AT&T.

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
I am on Verizon because of the problems with AT&T that my daughter was having with her iPhone 3gs. I have a Storm 2 which is BlackBerry's (#1 smartphone supplier in the world) second and latest attempt at a full-screen touch. There is really no contest between the 3gs and the S2. In fact, my wife is still using the original iPhone which came out in '07 and there is no contest between it and the S2 when it comes to most day-to-day functions...particularly the user interface.

I have been eying the new Droid phones which are very powerful. The problem is battery life. Apple has captured a key chip manufacturer with intellectual property that enables powerful, lower-power phones which currently have no equal. Given their combination of battery life, powerful processors, fantastic user interface and deep applications base the G4 will just dominate the contest for the foreseeable future.

my girlfriend has a Droid and has had nothing but problems with it. They sent her a brand new one last week and it is just as bad as the one it replaced. I am contemplating buying the new iPhone. It has a few new features that are nice, but the feature I like the most is the ability to tether. If I get the new iPhone and add the 20 dollar tethering feature, it will replace the 69 dollar Verizon broadband card I use at work. Then my gf can end her contract with Verizon and use my old iPhone 3Gs.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

I have the original S1 and I've been very happy with it. What do you like better 'bout the S2?

The S1 replaced a Palm treo that was nothing but trouble. I had five break on me in the space of two years - including one that totally wrecked my contacts on the phone - as well as on the computer back up.

My friend has had the Droid and has nothing but praise for it. But not surprised as the parts in it must cost roughtly the same as a '50s transistor radio.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
well the 2nd generation has 3Gs service but there is an iphone app that uses the phone as a server and can be used with the ipad

Did you "jail break" your phone

I didn't jailbreak. The new iPhone supports tethering w/a fee, but think I read that it won't work w/the iPad. I'm sure that will be addressed by hackers. I have hacked my Apple TV w/ATV Flash, but that program turns out to be a lot less straightforward than the developers suggest.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing