Who Will Be The Lakers Next Head Coach

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
With Phil now back for his final year after which almost certainly he will retire any thoughts on who will be the next coach? Had he not returned the buzz was Byron Scott was poised to take over but Phil is back and Byron is now with the Cavs sans LeBron. Will they go outside their system to find a new coach (did someone say Doc Rivers who also is in the last year of his contract-i think) or will they pick from within from perennial assistant coaches Jim Cleamons or Frank Hamblen or will they go with who seems to be Phils pick in Brian Shaw who is well liked and respected by the players but has no coaching experience.

Any thoughts or ideas?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
With Phil now back for his final year after which almost certainly he will retire any thoughts on who will be the next coach? Had he not returned the buzz was Byron Scott was poised to take over but Phil is back and Byron is now with the Cavs sans LeBron. Will they go outside their system to find a new coach (did someone say Doc Rivers who also is in the last year of his contract-i think) or will they pick from within from perennial assistant coaches Jim Cleamons or Frank Hamblen or will they go with who seems to be Phils pick in Brian Shaw who is well liked and respected by the players but has no coaching experience.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Well give you Isiah Thomas for a water bucket.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

If I would go with history plus wild guess ... Not Doc Rivers .. The Lakers want to take any path the Celtics', their only truly rival in the NBA, have not taken ...
Pat Riley came in also with no coaching experience, but he was in the system having been a player and an assistant coach plus Magic liked him, remember in 1981 Magic just like Kobe asked to be traded because he didn't like the coach, Paul Westphal, thus Jerry West and Riley as co-coaches (what was that?) and Jerry West ultimately deferring to Rile as the coach.. This time the Lakers leader is Kobe and he likes Brian Shaw .. and Brian Shaw knows the system and the players ...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Ironically, he was (re)hired as a consultant on Friday.

NBA's checking for compliance with its bylaws. We'll see if it lasts...

Yeah the Daily News had a big article how it was a slap in Donnie Walsh's face and that Thomas might be the next President of the Knicks. Look at his track record. What was it, a 11 million dollar sexual harrassment lawsuit. Hanging coaches out to dry? Amazing draft picks? Let's not forget how he singled handedly destroyed the Knicks by giving up two #1 draft/lottery picks for Eddy (non) Curry, the biggest stiff since Tom Boerwinkle. And how the Knicks were so far above the salary cap that they thought it impossible to get below. Excellent credentials. But he gets along with all the players by taking them to strip clubs :)

They also talked about how big a moron Dolan is (that's nothing new!). IMHO, he rates up there with Peter Angelos, Dan Snyder and Donald Sterling.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My guess is Brian Shaw. If Phil and Kobe endorse Brian, he should be it. Phil Jackson himself did not have coaching experience when Doug Collins was fired as Bulls coach, and assistant Phil became head coach and boy, did he start winning championship rings.

And btw, Brian Shaw used to be a Celtic player. :)

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Yeah the Daily News had a big article how it was a slap in Donnie Walsh's face and that Thomas might be the next President of the Knicks. Look at his track record. What was it, a 11 million dollar sexual harrassment lawsuit. Hanging coaches out to dry? Amazing draft picks? Let's not forget how he singled handedly destroyed the Knicks by giving up two #1 draft/lottery picks for Eddy (non) Curry, the biggest stiff since Tom Boerwinkle. And how the Knicks were so far above the salary cap that they thought it impossible to get below. Excellent credentials. But he gets along with all the players by taking them to strip clubs

That's an insult to Tom Boerwinkle who was a great passer and played defense. He was a big part of 'bloody nose alley' -- along w/Sloan and Van Lier, made the Bulls a team you didn't want to play. Eddy Curry is among the biggest waste of talents ever to sort of play. Great hands and offensive skills, no heart, despite the irregular beat. That Dolan rehired Isiah is mind-boggling. The contracts he got Dolan to sign were beyond stupid and buried the franchise. Throw in a sexual harrassment suit and yeah, let's rehire the guy! He must have something on the Dolan family.

Back to topic, I think Brian Shaw is the guy. Cleamons never had a chance in Dallas. Tried to install the triangle, but Mashburn/J. Jackson/Kidd were too stupid and immature buy into it.

I thought Collins was the best announcer. Had an uncanny knack of calling the inbounds play a team would run after a timeout. He'll succeed if he can control his perfectionism. Like Larry Brown, Scott Skiles and other great coaches with similar wiring, he drives everybody crazy after a few years and leaves.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The present trio on ABC sports are doing a fine job. I've enjoyed Doug's commentaries as well and I like his ability to express his knowledge of the game. Another guy I like is Hubie Brown as an analyst, of course, he was a good coach too who knew the game well.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Overall IMO the crews who do the announcing and color commentary for the NBA are terrific my favorite being Van Gundy and Mark Jackson with "whats his name" the announcer

Same here .. Mike Breen is the third guy ... Very interesting trio .. These guys have fun watching the game and Van Gundy is at times crazy hilarious ... I respect Hubie Brown knowledge of the game but as a coach he never seemed to have the players buying into his system or game philosophy .. His tenure with the Knicks was not that good and from there he never struck me as a good coach .. adequate? maybe.

As an analyst , very incisive and on the point but after a while sound like most games are not good enough .. Contrast that with Van Gundy who will make your team nbeing blown-out bearable with his banter and antics with Mark Jackson ...

Back on topics .. Looks like Shaw for the Lakers if Phil does not come back for a four-peat ... :)

Steve Williams

I would be surprised if Phil returns.

As for the other crews, i enjoy Mike Fratello (the czar) and Reggie Miller (who IMO is the sharpest dresser of all of them) but it always comes back to Jackson and Van Gundy

BTW why isn't Mark Jackson a coach esp as an old Knick player why didnt they go after him.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I actually like Reggie Miller a lot more than Mark Jackson as an announcer. 'You're better than that' seems to be the depth of MJs analysis. Love Van Gundy but I find Hubie condescending in tone, as if he's explaining the game to fifth graders. I can understand why he'd drive players crazy.

Steve Williams

At least in my neck of the woods we probably see MJ and Van Gundy 3X as frequently as we see Reggie Miller and his crew..

BTW I also really enjoy the studio commentary at half time or before the games with Kenny, Charles and all of the other players. The banter that goes on between them is always fun.

Chris Weber has become a very good analyst and is overcoming his uneasiness in fron of the camera

Kenny, Charles and Ernie however are all stars

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That's an insult to Tom Boerwinkle who was a great passer and played defense. He was a big part of 'bloody nose alley' -- along w/Sloan and Van Lier, made the Bulls a team you didn't want to play. Eddy Curry is among the biggest waste of talents ever to sort of play. Great hands and offensive skills, no heart, despite the irregular beat. That Dolan rehired Isiah is mind-boggling. The contracts he got Dolan to sign were beyond stupid and buried the franchise. Throw in a sexual harrassment suit and yeah, let's rehire the guy! He must have something on the Dolan family.

Back to topic, I think Brian Shaw is the guy. Cleamons never had a chance in Dallas. Tried to install the triangle, but Mashburn/J. Jackson/Kidd were too stupid and immature buy into it.

I thought Collins was the best announcer. Had an uncanny knack of calling the inbounds play a team would run after a timeout. He'll succeed if he can control his perfectionism. Like Larry Brown, Scott Skiles and other great coaches with similar wiring, he drives everybody crazy after a few years and leaves.

All that aside, Boerwinkle was still a stiff and goon. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing