Whither MQA

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
It would appear that MQA has gone into administration:
MQA LIMITED | Appointment of Administrators | The Gazette
and for more historical insights
MQA LIMITED overview - Find and update company information - GOV.UK (company-information.service.gov.uk)

What does this mean:

1. TIDAL streaming service can drop MQA
2. ESS, AKM and other sundry DAC chip manufacturers can drop MQA from future chip designs
3, DAC manufacturers can drop MQA as a feature in their brochures, marketing materials, messaging, etc. —— much like 3rd period French :)

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Tidal's server capacity will have to multiply somewhat, I expect they will increase prices for hi-rez.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
MQA sucked from the start A total scam.... A bunch of industry "experts" touted it as the best...LMAO

And actually Who cares??

Kiss this chapter goodbye

Yes, goodbye.

Finally! Great news. Couldn't wait for the demise. Hopefully this is it.

Reactions: Iving

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
This in all probability will affect Tidal. In our experience, Tidal has sounded better than Qobuz in the last year or so .…. While we have both Tidal and Qobuz, I’m not sure if Tidal will survive w/o MQA… We normally don’t access MQA (don’t need it) but it seems to be Tidal’s claim to fame …

MQA Limited

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
This in all probability will affect Tidal. In our experience, Tidal has sounded better than Qobuz in the last year or so .…. While we have both Tidal and Qobuz, I’m not sure if Tidal will survive w/o MQA… We normally don’t access MQA (don’t need it) but it seems to be Tidal’s claim to fame …

MQA Limited
Tidal will be fine without that albatross around its' neck.
As for MQA " The wages of sin is death." Figuratively speaking.
Did you hear that Mobile Fidelity.
Hopefully we are. seeing a Renaissance from the era of "alternative facts."

Reactions: Iving

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I have been a fan of MQA since hearing Peter McGrath’s recordings. The MQA encoded tracks sound significantly better than the unencoded versions. What Stuart and Craven created was innovative.

The real question is who will buy the company, if any? If acquired, it is possible investors will get a nice return and the format may continue.

Reactions: rdg

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com

MQA LIMITED​

UK Flag
The Broadgate Tower Third Floor, 20 Primrose Street, London, EC2A 2RS

Age 8 Year(s), Directors 5, Company No. 09123512

The information in the table below is taken from Companies House in the UK. It is the official repository for the registration and filings of companies over there. I linked to the site in my original post at the top of this thread.

Key Financials: Note the steady decline of the Net Worth of MQA Limited from 2019 thru 2021. This doesn't make for the most inviting acquisition unless MQA is sold for a song; and whether or not that "track" is encoded and/or unfolded, is above my paygrade.

Thank you very much indeed.
1680881427218.png

Reactions: Al M.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I have been a fan of MQA since hearing Peter McGrath’s recordings. The MQA encoded tracks sound significantly better than the unencoded versions. What Stuart and Craven created was innovative.

The real question is who will buy the company, if any? If acquired, it is possible investors will get a nice return and the format may continue.
If MQA is indeed superior, why did they not tell the truth? Their superiority should have been self evident without the assistance embellishment. It I s a sign of the times. People don't mind being lied to as long as it serves their interests.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I can’t really comment on Peter McGrath’s recordings as I haven’t heard them. I will say that the MQA files I have heard were very unimpressive.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
MQA is a lossy codec that wasn't bad (comment based on my limited exposure!) -- but I couldn't justify paying a premium when I can have MP3 etc for free.
However, I much prefer to put the premium towards acquiring additional storage space to accommodate lossless files -- simpler, no?.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I never bought into the whole lossy vs lossless nonsense anyway.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I never understood why the big fuss with MQA. If you don't like it don't use it, simple as that. Maybe I'm one of the few who don't really care what others think. I simply listen to something and if I like it great, if not no big deal. I don't use it.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I never understood why the big fuss with MQA. If you don't like it don't use it, simple as that. Maybe I'm one of the few who don't really care what others think. I simply listen to something and if I like it great, if not no big deal. I don't use it.
True. I think ther got my money anyway. Tidal and iFivAudi charged me for it anyway.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I have both Qobuz and Tidal. Tidal has a lot of MQA and you can easily play the same music on one service and the other and hear the differences. I agree pick what you like the rest in my mind doesn't matter either.

Reactions: Alrainbow

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
True. I think ther got my money anyway. Tidal and iFivAudi charged me for it anyway.
My current setup plays MQA and I use Tidal and Qobuz. When I find something I want to favorite and it has multiple formats, I tend to listen to all of them and use the one I like best. I have found music on Tidal, Qobuz, MQA, and everything in between that I like. I personally don't really care what format it is. Whatever sounds best to me is what I like and use.

Reactions: Pokey77 and Gregadd

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022

MQA Limited

Tidal Music's revenues declined in the fourth quarter of 2022.

Reactions: Audire

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
Not intended as a dig -- from an editorial perspective I wonder how Robert Harley will respond to this news.

You can safely assume Robert and many others are not looking forward to seeing me at shows. MQA was always a thought examination in high-end audio. You like it you failed.

The investors were gullible to have invested the amount of money they did.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
You can safely assume Robert and many others are not looking forward to seeing me at shows. MQA was always a thought examination in high-end audio. You like it you failed.

The investors were gullible to have invested the amount of money they did.

Yes, MQA is the Walk of Shame for many audio reviewers.

I still think Robert Harley is generally a good reviewer, but with MQA he has lots of egg on his face. So do John Atkinson, Peter McGrath and others.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing