Which Thorens?

Which Thorens "better?" Thorens TD-125 ii or TD-320?

• Thorens TD-125ii

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Thorens TD-320

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

wgmontgomery

Oct 22, 2019
I am looking to upgrade my turntable and am considering a "higher end" Thorens. I like my Music Hall, but it certainly isn't my "dream turntable."

The two that I'm considering are:

Thorens TD-125 (Mk2?)

or

Thorens TD-320 (Mk??)

My understanding is that the 320 is kind of an "upgraded" 125 and have a better suspension system. 320s have the TP-90 tonearm (vs. TP-16) All things (price, condition etc.) being equal, which would you get?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Bob Heinatz

Jun 21, 2010
I am looking to upgrade my turntable and am considering a "higher end" Thorens. I like my Music Hall, but it certainly isn't my "dream turntable."

The two that I'm considering are:

Thorens TD-125 (Mk2?)

or

Thorens TD-320 (Mk??)

My understanding is that the 320 is kind of an "upgraded" 125 and have a better suspension system. 320s have the TP-90 tonearm (vs. TP-16) All things (price, condition etc.) being equal, which would you get?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Bob Heinatz

Jun 21, 2010
I have a completely restored Thorens 125 mk2 that was restored by Vinyl Nirvana. Brand new plinth much improved over the original. It is drilled to take a SME arm. I have a SME M9 arm also available if you are interested. I will sell at a very attractive price if you are interested.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
IMHO the TD320 looks like a bibelot when compared to the TD125. I owned and modified a TD125 long ago and it is a real turntable, although it will probably need some attention.

Points needing checking - the electrolytic capacitors of the synthesized power supply, the cheap adjustment pots and checking the motor drive voltages. The linear speed switches are gold plated, they should not be a problem. If you can locate a metal pulley to replace the plastic one please do it. I tried damping the metal chassis and it was a sonic disaster - I had to remove it all.

Removing the 24Vac power transformer from the plinth to an outer box will improve induced hum.

Reactions: wgmontgomery

wgmontgomery

Oct 22, 2019
I have a completely restored Thorens 125 mk2 that was restored by Vinyl Nirvana. Brand new plinth much improved over the original. It is drilled to take a SME arm. I have a SME M9 arm also available if you are interested. I will sell at a very attractive price if you are interested.

Thanks...& I'm interested in the tonearm. Can you PM the details?
Thx again!

wgmontgomery

Oct 22, 2019
microstrip-Thank you for the info! Knowing things to check/look for is a great deal of help...as is your recommendation of the 125.

Thanks!!

Bob Heinatz

Jun 21, 2010
The SME arm is in good condition. I currently have it on my Artisan Fidelity Lenco table and it is a very worthy arm. I bought it new around 3 years ago for the 125 mk2 and it has been on my AF Lenco for 2 plus years. It is worthy of arm that would be a good performer for cartridges up to $2000. I won't sell the arm separately but will sell it with the 125 mk2.

The reason being that I am saving to buy a $5k - 8k arm to put on my Lenco and if I sell the SME arm now I will still be short dollarwise for its replacement. However I would offer the table and arm as a package deal. This would get me closer to my new arm purchase. If you are not familiar with Vinyl Nirvana google them to see what restoration work they perform.

If this makes sense we can work on a deal that will benefit both of us.

wgmontgomery

Oct 22, 2019
I must have misunderstood what you meant by, "I have a SME M9 arm also available if you are interested."

I'm probably going to get a 125 (vs 320), so let me know how much you want for it.

Thanks

Bob Heinatz

Jun 21, 2010
I will sell the 125 mk 2 for $500 plus shipping. I will also include the SME M9 for $400. So $500 for the table. If you want the table & arm $900. This is a great deal. Let me know if you want to proceed.

wgmontgomery

Oct 22, 2019
I have a few questions:

-Can you send a few pics?

-If I opted from the turntable sans SME do you have the stock tonearm?

-Do you have any idea (I understand that it's an estimate) how much shipping would cost to zip 11756?

Thanks!

wgmontgomery

Oct 22, 2019
Sorry that it took me so long to respond. I help care for my MIL, and she has dementia...it sometimes demands my attention.

I agree that email is a good idea; I'll email you later today.

Thanks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing