Which geometry do you prefer, Loefgren A, Loefgren B, Baerwald, Stevenson, Unidin? And why.

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi everyone

I’ve noticed that many members on this website use Acoustical Systems Smartractors. Which tonearm geometry do you prefer and why? Have you tried Deitrich Brakemeier’s own Uni-Din? If so how did it compare to the other options? Loefgren A, Loefgren B, Baerwald, Stevenson, Uni-Din? Thank you for your opinions.

Best regards
Scot

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
That is difficult to pin down, but having tried all but Stevenson (the SMARTractor does not do Stevenson) there is something about UNI-DIN that does seem to make better music, to my ears anyway, so that's what I now use by choice.

But, whichever alignment geometry is 'best' is always secondary to choosing one and then aligning the cartridge accurately to it - there are no 'rights' nor 'wrongs' but instead just different balances of compromises. Accurate alignment is where the SMARTractor pays for itself with ease; also Analog Magik is a real education in showing how further fine adjustments in cartridge setup really do pay big dividends. Clearly audible dividends.

I have often wondered why Deitrich Brakemeier did not include Stevenson on the SMARTractor - it would certainly be easier to sell if it was more 'complete' in this respect; but maybe he simply cannot understand why anyone would wish to trade Stevenson's lower inner and outer groove distortion for much higher average distortion across the bulk of the LP. If those are his thoughts, then I'm with him, and it's UNI-Din for me.

Reactions: tima

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I prefer Löfgren B - IEC, I use smartractor to align.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Here's the classic graph from Wally Malewicz that shows the tradeoffs:

1114UNI.jpg

But, whichever alignment geometry is 'best' is always secondary to choosing one and then aligning the cartridge accurately to it - there are no 'rights' nor 'wrongs' but instead just different balances of compromises.

I agree. I use Logren-B and occasionally UNI-DIN. I"ve used many different protractors and Dertonarm's UNI-Pro since the first edition came out in 2011. Sure, others can work, though the UNI-Pro gives me confidence in using it and in the results I get.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I prefer the alignment curve that the manufacturer has used in designing his tonearm.

I have the original Dietrich universal alignment guage. Uni - din is ok, but not preferred by myself on any of my tonearms.

Reactions: ddk

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Scot, I'll get back to you here. For years my dealer used one alignment method and we recently switched to a new one, that I like better. Let' me get the details and I'll post again. I did this before I changed arms recently. The cartridge sits differently in the headshell, surprisingly so.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I’d like to know why the crude single point underhung alignment of the ViV tonearm, with its high distortion, sounds better to me than using a traditional arm and any of the popular geometries.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing